Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

I recently purchased FTM 2010 when it was on sale at a great price.  I currently use FTM 2008 and run Windows Vista.  I insert the CD to install the program, my screen tells me the install wizard is loading, then that window goes away and also nothing shows in the toolbar.  Nothing happens.  So I click on "computer" so I can see all my drives, I click on the drive with the CD, and the whole process begins again with the same result.  Everytime I do this is when there is no one at the 800 number to help.  Do anyone have any advice?  Thanks.

Views: 89

Replies to This Discussion

Carolina Girl,

What version of Windows are you using?

If Vista or Windows 7, are you installing As Administrator?

Russ
Russ, I am running Windows Vista and I am not sure what you mean by installing "As Administrator." I don't even get far enough to make any selections, so I don't think that is my issue.

I put the CD in, it runs and I see a window that says "installing the setup wizard" and that is about it. The window goes away and it is like I never put the CD in or anything.
Carolina,

Run As Administrator is a feature of Vista. You may have to install Family Tree Maker but using Windows Explorer, navigate to the CD Drive, look at the list of Files and programs that are listed. Locate SetUp.exe. Right Click on Setup, and select Run As Administrator.

Russ
Thanks, Russ. I will give this a try. I'll let you know......
Carolina,

You are welcome. Please let us know.

Russ
Well, I get the same result. A window pop up saying it is preparing the install wizard and then the window and the program ID in the tray goes away. I have tried and tried.
I have 2 Dvd drives, Carolina. I don't know if this will apply to You, but if it does, some
programs will install on one DVD drive, and some will only install on my other DVD drive.
Rhoda,

Good suggestion. I have a CD Drive that I can't install from also. It's the one in my PC tower. I had to install a USB CD Drive.

Russ
That is interesting, but I only have one. But thank you for trying to help.
Carolina,

Do you have Norton on your PC?

If so, could it be blocking the installation? or another Anti-Virus application?

Russ
I do have Norton. I turned everything off. It still didn't work. Today I called FTM Tech support. The rep had me copy everything from the disk to my desktop. She guided me though the steps to install from the desktop. It still wouldn't work. She e-mailed me a trouble shooting list and sent me on my way. When I read the list I see I have done all thoese things with one exception and that is to make a new admin account in Windows. I am having to "study" to figure that out.

The rep did suggest I try to load onto another computer. I am going to try to load onto my laptop. If it loads with no problem, I must have a setting in my desktop that is causing the problem. If I have problems loading onto my laptop, I suspect the disk is faulty. Does that sound reasonable?

I regret this purchase............

Thank you for hanging in there with me.....
Carolina,

I have seen a couple of users who have resolved this Corrupt User Account issue within Windows.

The Family Tree Maker program didn't cause the problem, it just pointed out that there was an issue.

Please let us know.

Thank you,

Russ

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service