Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

A Google Search for "Family Tree Maker 2010" provided a link to the Ancestry.com Store:

A summary, from the website says:

Family Tree Maker 2010 - Direct Upgrade
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or just starting on your family tree, Family Tree Maker 2010 can help you create a family tree faster, easier, and better than ever before. The end result is a family history that you and your family will treasure for years to come.

What’s New?

* Easy family tree download from Ancestry.com – Import your Ancestry.com family tree, along with attached photos.
* Improved organization – Enjoy new ways to organize photos and other media.
* Slideshows – Create slideshows from photos in your tree.
* Family books – Publish beautiful keepsakes and books to share with friends and family.
* Standard source templates – Cite the right information every time.
* A new person view – View relationships within the context of your entire family tree.
* Scanner support – Add photos directly from your scanner.
* Family migration paths – View timelines and interactive maps highlighting events and places in your ancestors’ lives.
* Better Performance – Experience faster load times and navigation.

The link above, may NOT contain the Image that is on the screen. Please go to Google.com and search for

family tree maker 2010

Views: 324

Replies to This Discussion

Glenn,

Do you have Norton on this PC?

Is it possible, while you are online, that your Firewall is blocking Family Tree Maker from accessing the Internet when it needs to?

How do you access the internet? Dial Up or on a Dedicated connection?

Russ
Good morning Russ. Thank you for your reply last night. I had to leave the computer last night so I did not see your message until late this morning. I gave the problem a lot of thought and when I was able to return to the computer this morning I did two things. First I restarted the computer. Second, I turned off my anti virus program then tried to load the 2010 CD and it worked like a charm. I suspect it was my anti-virus program.

After that I checked my email and saw your reply. I have Avast! anti-virus program. You were on the right track when you mentioned the Norton program and the firewall.

I wish to particularly thank you for the time you took to try and assist me. When a problem like this occurs it is of great help to know that someone is looking over your sholder, ready and willing to give assistance. Perhaps FTM should suggest that you restart the computer and turn off the anti-virus program when loading the new 2010.

If ever I can return the favor please do not heistate to contact me. In the meantime the best I can do is make you one of my friends. Please do not get too excited.
Glenn,

Great. Thanks for the update.

Actually, not all Anti-Virus and Firewall applications create a problem, so we don't need to shut them down as a first step. A number of program have the same issues, not just Family Tree Maker.

Glad to be able to help.

Good luck,

Russ
I just got my copy in the mail, and have loaded it... turns out that the data from TMG did not transfer correctly - it has added children to a person that only lived for 3 years... I had a terrible time with the 2009 version - and now, I can't trust this..
Ann,

Did you check the People Workspace, Person tab and the Relationship tab on the Right, what was the relationship to those children?

Russ
I checked and they are listed as his children with no wife -
Ann
Ann,

Is the wife in the file (Index)? If so, did you Attach the wife as the wife? Does that resolve this?

Russ
The person that got the children attached, never married and never had any children!
Ann,

Sorry about the delay in responding. Didn't see your post. Sorry.

Detach the child / children from the in correct parents and attach them to the correct parents.

Russ
Russ, I upgraded to FTM 2010 and when I downloaded my tree from ancestry.com where there are suppose to be pictures I only get magnifying glass. I have tried it several time. I have turned off my firewall and that didn't help. Do you have any suggestions?
Joyce,

Please verify that you followed the steps in this blog:

http://ftmuser.blogspot.com/2009/08/plan-new-file-download-from-anc...

Are you looking in the Media Workspace or the Media tab for the individual?

Russ
I finally took the plunge and ordered FTM 2010, received it Saturday. Previously I had relied on my private trees on Ancestry.com and on Legacy 7.0. But the fact the FTM 2010 supposedly would download and attach my sources and photos from my Ancestry tree hooked me. I installed, registered and imported and Voila! No pictures. Instead I get some kind of a comment that says "unable to download - we are working on the problem". The sources in import but I still get the "hint leaves" pointing to those very same sources again. I have 2,500 people in my tree. Is there some way to tell those "hints" all at once to ignore (since I already have them) or do I have to go through them one at a time?

Next question is: if I make changes to FTM 2010 can I integrate these changes into my Ancestry tree automatically or do I still have to do double the work to maintain both of them? Or can I delete the Ancestry tree and upload the FTM 2010 tree and rely on the links, photos, etc to still be there on Ancestry?

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service