Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

What Germanic surnames are you researching (Please list Surname - area and time frame)

Hi,
My German family surname is Bonstein The oldest Bonstein Ancestor of mine recorded in my file is Cuntz Bonnstein and his wife Gela. They were married before 1630 and lived in the town of Ropperhousen, in the Principality of Hesse-Kassel (a principality in northern Hesse) in what was know as the Holy Roman Empire.

Copied verbatim from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Roman_Empire

The Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation (German: Heiliges Römisches Reich Deutscher Nation listen ▶ (help·info), Latin Sacrum Romanum Imperium Nationis Germanicae, see names and designations of the empire) was a political conglomeration of lands in Central Europe in the Middle Ages and the early modern period. Emerging from the eastern part of the Frankish realm after its division in the Treaty of Verdun (843), it lasted almost a millennium until its dissolution in 1806. By the 18th century, it still consisted of the larger part of modern Germany, the Czech Republic, Austria, Liechtenstein, Slovenia, Belgium, and Luxembourg, as well as large parts of modern Poland and small parts of the Netherlands. Previously, it had included all of the Netherlands and Switzerland, and parts of modern France and Italy (see: Maps below). In the 18th century, when the Empire was already in decline, Voltaire ridiculed its nomenclature by saying that the Holy Roman Empire was "neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire".

It was never a nation state. Despite the German ethnicity of most of its rulers and subjects, from the very beginning many ethnicities constituted the Holy Roman Empire. Many of its most important noble families and appointed officials came from outside the German-speaking communities. At the height of the empire it contained most of the territory of today's Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Czech Republic and Slovenia, as well as eastern France, northern Italy and western Poland. Its languages thus comprised not only German and its many dialects and derivatives, but many Slavic languages and the languages which became modern French, Dutch and Italian. Furthermore, its division into territories ruled by numerous secular and ecclesiastical princes, prelates, counts, imperial knights, and free cities made it, in the early modern period at least, far less cohesive than the emerging modern states around it.
However, during most of its time it was more than a mere confederation. The concept of the Reich not only included the government of a specific territory, but had strong Christian religious connotations (hence the holy prefix). Until 1508, German Kings were not considered Emperors of the Reich until the Pope had formally crowned them as such.
The Reich can thus best be described as a cross between a state and a religious confederation
For more information see:
http://freepages.military.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bonsteinandgilpin/...

My family moves forward to 1776 and the American Revolutionary War. Laurentius (Lorenz) Bonstein (Johann Paulus (Paul)5, Christian4, Henning3, Cuntz2, First name unknown1) was born February 5, 1716 in Grossropperhausen, Cassel, Germany and his wife Hedwig Lingemann have to give up two son to the standing Army of Frederick II, Landgrave of Hesse-Kassel.

Paulus Bonnstein and his younger brother my ancestor Johann Jacob (I) Bonstein.

Jacob stayed here and Paulus went home to Hesse-Kassell and family after the war.

If your interested we can exchange information

Thank you for reading
Nelda

Views: 7182

Replies to This Discussion

I am researching four different names in Germany and am going to do each group separately.

Goentgen:
Johann Samuel Georg Goentgen. According to his tombstone at the Germantown Cemetery near Minden, La. he was born 18 Aug 1791 near Frankfurt, Germany. Many of the inscriptions state born at " Frankfurt on the Rhine". According to other data he was born near small town called Edenkoben in Rhineland. He was the city librariarin at the Frankfurt Library from 1822 until he migrated to the U. S. in 1831. He arrived aboard the ship, Isabella at the Port of New York on 5 Sept 1831 and was 40 yrs old when he arrived. Also with him were his wife, Magdalena age 30 two daughters, Bernardina age 4, Elizabeth age 2, a son, Joseph age 9 months. The name on the ship roster is transcribed as Jno. G. Goentzen. He was a Dr. of philosophy and was addressed as Dr. Goentgen. He was also the secretary for Count De Leon, and wrote many letters to the Rabb Colony in Pa. before their coming to America. They stayed in Pa for a short time then migrated to Louisian to an area near to Natchitoches, La. Due to malaria, etc they moved from there after a couple of years and started a colony at Germantown near Minden, La in Webster Parish, La. He had a beautiful handwriting and many of his writings are on display at the museum in Frankfurt as well as the Germantown Museum near Pennsylvania, Pa. and at the Germantown Museum near Minden, La.

He was the son of Johann Gottlieb Goentgen who was a minister of the gospel. Nothing is known of his mother.
He married Magdalena Rebekkah Heuser in Germany some time before 1827. She was the daughter of Johann Heuser and Anna Marie Enzminger and she was born 9 Feb. 1800 in Germany.

Heuser/Hauser
As above on Magdalena Rebekkah Heuser Goentgen. Nothing further is known about where in Germany. The only clue is her tombstone at the Germantown Cemetery near Minden, La. which states she was born at Frankfurt on the Rhine, Germany

Krouse:
The youngest daughter of Johan Georg Goentgen and Magdalen Heuser was named Rosario Goentgen. She was born in Claiborne Parish, La. on 13 Sept 1839 at the Germantown Colony near Minden, La. She married Francio Otto Krouse or as other writings have him: Franz Otto Krouse, but on his tombstone he is listed as Francio Otto. On 5 June 1854, Francio Otto filed a Petition of intent on arrival with the Philadelphia, Penn Supreme Court. He arrived on a ship from Liverpool, England called the " Yorkshire" on 11 Aug. 1854. Some time between 1854 and 1860 he arrived in Claiborne Parish, La. at the Germantown Colony. This part of Claiborne Parish became Webster Parish, La in 1873. He became a U. S. citizen on 28 Sept. 1860. On 20 May 1860, he married Rosario.

His tombstone at the Germantown Cemetery near Minden, La. states that he was born in Hainichon, Germany.

Though numerous records have been searched nothing further is known about him.There are a lot of unproven allegations concerning where he was from and who he was, but nothing to date that has been substantiated with records. It is believed that he might have come from the area of Germany that is now in Switzerland by many researchers.

Strozier:
I have seen many allegations that this name was originally Stroher. And I have seen where the name in Pa has been anglicized to Strayer. I do know that the earliest records available that I can find spell the name Strowshure, Stroger, Strozer, Stroser and numerous other ways. I am not far enough in my research to know the area or if indeed this is the correct family to tie to mine. The earliest person I can prove in my lineage is Charles Strozier who was born in Wilkes County, Ga abt 1785. He is in the War of 1812 from 1814-1815 from Wilkes County, Ga. He also appears in a newspaper article dated 1815 from there and is a witness to a deed in 1812. The next record of him is in 1822-1827 in Walton County, Ga. where he appears on deeds with a family surname Mosely, which would be his inlaws if his first wife was indeed a Gathright. Then, in 1830, he is on the census for Monroe County, Ga. In 1832 he wins two draws and gets land from both in the Georgia Land Lottery. All the land is in Monroe County, Ga. By 1840 he is living in Bibb County, Ga. where he continues to reside until his death in 1871. He was married at least twice, but proof of these marriages has not been found. It is suspected due to the deeds, etc and the names of his children that his first wife was a Gathright. Nothing further is known about his parentage, though there is a lot of speculation that because he was in Wilkes County, Ga. he is somehow related to the Johann Peter Strozier family who was living there at the time. The only other person surname Strozier in that area that can be proven to date is John Martin Strozier. And he moved around a lot from SC to NC to Ga and all over. I have been told that Strozier is NOT a German name but an anglicized name of some other name. The one thing I am certain of is that " Family Lore" through the generations has that the Strozier's originated in Germany. I have not been able to find documentation to prove this.
I am researching WELLER. My Grandmother was a Weller. She was born in the United States and I have no information on her side of the family. Her given name was Grace Evelyn Weller, Born Oct 1900.

I am also researching KOWIS for my children. The most I know is that my ex-husband's grandparents were babies when they came to the USA from Germany. I do not know his grandmother's maiden name, but the names I have are Joseph Kowis and Grace Kowis.

As you can see My first name and the first names of my daddy's mother and my ex-husband's dad's mother are the same. Interesting? We thought so. I know the information I have is sketchy, but I would appreciate any information.

Thank you!
Grace Elizabeth Powers Kowis
The family I'm researching is Bauer from about the 1600s in Oberurbach. Johannes Bauer came to Australia in 1872 and settled into farming in Victoria at a place called Barkers Creek. He married a Dorothea Stier in 1877 ,who also came from Rankendorf Mecklenberg Germany . They had 7 children.
I have just began my research on my german ancestors. I am researching:
John and Louise WENTZ born 1824 and 1833 hailing from Baden-Wuerttemberg and
Carl Frederick SCHNERINGER, my great-great grandfather who thus far is quite the mystery but is from Germany born about 1860.
Lastly, Johan Peter CAUBLE born in Finkenbach, Donnersbergkreis, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany on September 4, 1738
I am looking for Johan's info from Germany....do you know who is brothers and sister are, his parents?
I am researching Reinbold which became Rainbolt. Mattheus Reinbold came from Bad Durkheim, Germany to USA with the Palatines in 1710. They settled in what is now Oldwick, New Jersey, his stepson built a Lutheran church (Balthsar Buckle). He married Anna Eva Mullier Buckel in 1704. He came over on the James and Elizabeth with wife and two children over 10 years. I have been unable to find the name of the second child and the name of his first wife. Also, he had a son that moved to VA and then NC and I cannot find any record of this son. Any one have any suggestions?
name i wanted to check was a grams,martin. he had a son named william who was born in germany oct 30,1851. he married a wilnelmina albertina radunz in 1877
Tecklenberg, Heers, Wolter and Thaler mid 1800s to 1900
I am researching the BETZ family from Sennfeld. The earliest information I have is John Matthias BETZ, aka Georg Betz or Baez. He married Elizabeth Catherine HERSCH on 28 January 1827 in Sennfeld, Mosbach, Baden, Germany. They had two sons, Andreas (born c. 1828 in Sennfeld) and Peter Conrad (born c. 1833 in Sennfeld). Andreas was a tailor. He emigrated to America in 1851 and married Anna Mary KONEIG (born c. 1836) on 20 July 1854 in Louisville, Kentucky, USA. A number of children were born there including Sophie (1854), Ernest Otto (1858), Udolphe (1858) and John (1860). Between 1860 and 1863 the family returned to Sennfeld, where two further children were born - Carl in 1863 and Emma in 1864. The family emigrated from Germany to Australia in 1865 and both Carl and Emma died on the voyage and were buried at sea. Four further children were born in Australia including, Charles (1867), Sophie (1871) and Anna Mary (1874).

Andreas' brother Peter Conrad emigrated to Australia in 1857. He married Magdalena Bunz c. 1866.

I have more information on some of the above and their descendants and would be interested to hear from anyone with information on this family or on how I can obtain any relevant records on the family from Germany.
Hi Kathryn

Sennfeld is a town of 1,200 just south of Adelsheim. Mosbach, a larger place of about 25,000, is 20 km to the west. Both are north of Heilbronn; you can find them on Google Maps; for Sennfeld, search for Adelsheim and look to the south. This area became part of Baden in 1806; before that it was in the County Palatine of the Rhine (Kurpfalz) for three centuries.

The LDS Family History Library (FHL) has filmed the Protestant parish registers of Sennfeld from 1717 on four rolls. The parish registers of Mosbach have also been filmed, Protestant from 1565 on seven rolls, Catholic from 1688 on four rolls. The registers include family books (Familienbuecher), a valuable resource. You can search the FHL Catalog on www.familysearch.org. You can order films at your local LDS Family History Center; there is a shipping charge.

The location "Sennfeld, Mosbach" is a little confusing as the towns were 20 km apart. Perhaps the family was Catholic and had to go to Mosbach for baptisms, etc. If they were Protestant, I'd certainly look at Sennfeld first.

John
Stuttgart, Germany
I have 33 direct ancestors among the Palatines who came to New York in 1710. They are all well researched by Hank Jones. The Palatine DNA Project, which I manage, is focused on the ~850 families that are the subject of Hank's extensive work. My most recent immigrant ancestors all came from Germany in the mid-1800s: Muller, Jaeger, Stark and Tigges. I know the villages of origin for the first three:

Louis Justus Martin Muller b. 1841, is from Dedesdorf (northwest corner of Germany).

Frederick Jaeger b. 1813, and his wife, Barbara Rapp, are from Oberhausen (near Bad Bergzabern in southwest Germany).

Carl Stark b. 1826, and his wife, Maria Dorothea, are from Stargard (I believe it's the one now in Poland) but I need to order microfilm at my local Family History Center.

Henry Tigges b. 1846 is from Prussia, but where???. He is not part of the Tigges family of Iowa and the midwest. I have two possible sets of parents. There are two men with the same name in the immigration lists arriving about a year apart. European origin could have been Steinheim or Lienen, Westfalen, Prussia, Germany. Immigration lists show Sachsen (bei Ansbach). Either he had moved there from Steinheim (or Lienen nr. Munster) or the immigration list entry is not for this Henry Tigges. Or the reference should have been to Sachsenstrasse in Steinheim? Or, as a distinguished German researcher has suggested, he may have been from the Leipzig area.

All of my data is at www.doriswheeler.org and http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dorisw.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service