Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

A Google Search for "Family Tree Maker 2010" provided a link to the Ancestry.com Store:

A summary, from the website says:

Family Tree Maker 2010 - Direct Upgrade
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or just starting on your family tree, Family Tree Maker 2010 can help you create a family tree faster, easier, and better than ever before. The end result is a family history that you and your family will treasure for years to come.

What’s New?

* Easy family tree download from Ancestry.com – Import your Ancestry.com family tree, along with attached photos.
* Improved organization – Enjoy new ways to organize photos and other media.
* Slideshows – Create slideshows from photos in your tree.
* Family books – Publish beautiful keepsakes and books to share with friends and family.
* Standard source templates – Cite the right information every time.
* A new person view – View relationships within the context of your entire family tree.
* Scanner support – Add photos directly from your scanner.
* Family migration paths – View timelines and interactive maps highlighting events and places in your ancestors’ lives.
* Better Performance – Experience faster load times and navigation.

The link above, may NOT contain the Image that is on the screen. Please go to Google.com and search for

family tree maker 2010

Views: 324

Replies to This Discussion

Chip,

Please see my Blog, as to how to do this.

Plan - New File - Download from Ancestry.com - Version 2010

Russ
I read your blog. Nice job! But it does not address my concerns with the hints (that I can see), nor does it tell me if I can merge an upload from FTM 2010 to Ancestry (or upload a new private tree) and preserve the sources and photos intact without generating all the "hints" again, etc.
Chris,

What is the Concern? The Blog has only addressed specific topics as I become aware of them.

I think you are asking "Can I Merge the Family Tree on my PC with an EXISTING Member Tree at Ancestry. If that is the question, the answer is NO, which is why it's not a feature available to us (het).

The Sources and Media ARE maintained in the Member Tree.

Not sure what the "hint" issue is.

Please provide some details on this.

Thank you,

Russ
Hi Russ, its me again from an earlier discussion thread.
The "hint" issue is (I am pretty sure Chip is having the same problem I am having) that the hint system in FTM2010 is working great but it just doesn't recognize any of the sources that are already listed in the persons file if the file has been imported from Ancestry.com. For instance, in Ancestry.com, I have 15 sources linked for my grandfather. All of these sources show up when I import the file to FTM but the FTM hint system still shows hints for most of them without recognizing that those sources are already attached to my grandfather. This makes it very difficult to notice anything new because you have to manually cross check all of the hints. If you accept the old hints that FTM offers, a second copy of the source (which, by the way, is more clearly linked to the online source and is recognized by the FTM hint system) is added to the persons record, which is not very clean. Bottom line is that the sources brought over from Ancestry.com are not compatible with the way sources are handled in FTM itself.
William,

From what I can tell, yes, when you download a file from a Member Famliy Tree, Version 2010 will still give you 'hints'. I would follow that hint and make sure that I download the Image to the Media Folder and Link to it for the specific Source-Citation screen, so that I have that image on my PC.

I would suggest that you use this link:

http://ftm.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ftm.cfg/php/enduser/ask_feedback.php

And provide some detailed feedback to Family Tree Maker 2009.

You will probably not receive feedback from them, but the developers do read the feedback.

Good luck,

Russ
Thanks Russ, I hadn't really thought of the possibility of saving the images of the sources. That is a good thing and might be even better than a link in the long run. I will have to play with it a little to see what I can do without having to repeat all of the sources.
William,

Have you done a Web Search and a Web Merge from within Family Tree Maker?

Russ
I am a current Ancestry subscriber. Can I add the "free 14 days" from my FTM 2010 to my current subscription? I suspect not...
Chip,

You would have to contact Ancestry.com directly.

Sorry.

Russ
I ordered FTM 2010 this week. Looking forward to using it.
Mavis,

Great. If you run into any problems, please Add a New Discussion and we'll work through any problems you might have. Questions are also welcome.

Good Luck,

Russ

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service