Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

A Google Search for "Family Tree Maker 2010" provided a link to the Ancestry.com Store:

A summary, from the website says:

Family Tree Maker 2010 - Direct Upgrade
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or just starting on your family tree, Family Tree Maker 2010 can help you create a family tree faster, easier, and better than ever before. The end result is a family history that you and your family will treasure for years to come.

What’s New?

* Easy family tree download from Ancestry.com – Import your Ancestry.com family tree, along with attached photos.
* Improved organization – Enjoy new ways to organize photos and other media.
* Slideshows – Create slideshows from photos in your tree.
* Family books – Publish beautiful keepsakes and books to share with friends and family.
* Standard source templates – Cite the right information every time.
* A new person view – View relationships within the context of your entire family tree.
* Scanner support – Add photos directly from your scanner.
* Family migration paths – View timelines and interactive maps highlighting events and places in your ancestors’ lives.
* Better Performance – Experience faster load times and navigation.

The link above, may NOT contain the Image that is on the screen. Please go to Google.com and search for

family tree maker 2010

Views: 324

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Russ for all of your helpful information. I bought 2010 and got it in the mail a few days ago, Today was my first chance to install it and check it out. In general it looks pretty good, but I started with an Ancestry.com tree that I have been working on and I am still having the same problems with 2010 that I had with 2009 with regards to importing sources. I have many online sources (census, etc) linked to people in my Ancestry.com file. In Ancestry.com the sources are live links to the online files and the hints system knows which sources I have already attached. When imported into 2010 the sources are listed but the source links are only text entries in the notes tab and the hint system in 2010 does not seem to recognize these listed sources. So all of them are offered for merging again. If they are merged there is two copies of the source listed and only the new one is linked to the source. Is there a setting I need to make or something I need to do in the setup in order for the sources from Ancestry.com to be recognized by 2010?
William,

The links ARE there, right? They should take you directly to the image that is Online.

How are you seeing the "hints"? If you put your Cursor over the leaf, how many hints are listed in that pop up window?

Russ
Unless I am missing something the only link is a text link in the notes tab for the source that I must clip and paste in a browser. It does take me to the correct image online.

When I hover over the hints leaf I see hints for essentially all of the sources that are already attached to that particular fact.
William,

When I clicked on a Census link, I was taken to the Ancestry.com page where the census image was.

Russ
What Census link were you clicking? Was this a Census link that was imported from an Ancestry.com file or one that you created in FTM?
William,

I was a Source-Media for a Census Record.

Russ
William,

So, you Installed Version 2010 and Downloaded your Member Family Tree from Ancestry.com, Right? (1)

The issue, I am guessing, is that your Version 2010 has Links in your Source-Citations to something that is Online, is that correct? (2) From what I can tell, that is how this current configuration works. You can always download that image and put it into your Media Folder, or do the Web Merge. I haven't had time to take this issue that far to see how it works, other then the above observation, and how to work around it.

The next issue, is the Hints, Right? How your you seeing the "hint". If you put your mouse over the Individual, with the leaf, what does the pop-up box say? (3)

Russ
My new copy of Family Tree Maker arrived today. I tried to install it this evening. After an hour I gave up.
I put the CD in the CD-drive and the Family Tree logo came up on the screen A second smaller box came into view in the lower right corner. It was the Install shield Wizard. It asked me to wait while it installed Microsfot.Net.FrameWork 3.5 SPI.
The green dashed loading bar filled the line but then everything stopped. I gave it lots of time then is said "an instance of setup is already running. Only one instance of setup can run at a time." I clicked on the "OK box and everything went away.
Not Good! I tried this four times and same routine. I tried to search my computer for the other instance of it running but could not find it. I then went online to Microsoft and down loaded the program directly to my computer and ran the CD again. On about the third try a small box opened, titled Extracting file. That cheered me up. Then in the box it said "verifying file". Next box opened up and again it repeated "An instance of setup is already running. Only one instance of setup can run at a time." Clicked on OK and all Family Tree boxes and instructions goes away.
Well, the installation wizard did not walk me through this simple process. This is very similar to the problems I had trying to load the 2008 version. I got that one to work only after I phoned Family Tree and learning that I had to load a certain Microsoft program. Am I the only person who has received my Family Tree Maker 2010? Am I the only idiot that is unable to load the 2010 program? I am not very happy at this moment.ed
Glenn,

It sounds like you still have a problem with Microsoft.

No, you are not the only one to have received the 2010 program. I have been 'talking' to many others on the various message boards.

Do you remember what you had to do with MS the last time?

Are you running Vista on that PC?

Do you have Norton on your computer?

Something on your computer is causing the .NET from being installed.

Please go to this website:

http://ftm.custhelp.com/

And enter 4442 into the Keyword Search and click on Search.

Russ
Glenn,

What version of Windows are you using?

Is this PC online to the Internet?

Russ
Glenn,

To follow up I have seen a number of Users with 2010 install correctly the first time. Yours is the first I have seen with an issue.

Do you remember what you had to do to resolve the 2008 problem?

Again, is this PC online?

Russ
Good evening Russ. The PC was online the first time I tried to load the CD. After the second trial I took it off line in case that was the problem. Nothing improved. Went back on line and downloaded microsoft program and tried again. No luck.
In 2008 it was another .Net. Program that I had to load on the computer before it would load Family Tree.
I am sorry but I forget the exact name.
I have the XP home addition.
Glenn

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service