Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

I am looking for descendants of Gustaf Olson was born June 26, 1867 in Torsås Sweden. He was married and had at least 3 children. I do not know the children's names, but his wife Anna perhaps units. Is there anyone who can help me?

Views: 175

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

They look Swedish! Tell us about the photo. Do you have the original print? negative?

I have family from Västra Torsås. NOw where is my map...

Tell us more about Gustaf. How do you know he was born as stated above?

Tell us about his death. Where? When? Buried...

This photo is from Brooklyn somewhere.
Gustaf is my grandfathers brother and he stayed in Brooklyn New York 1899 as he was a sailor. I´m not sure but Anna is also from Torsås and married to Gustaf and had at least 2 boys and maybe also 2 daughters.
The photo belongs to one of my second cousins and she has some more that I have scanned.
Torsås is not the same as Västra Torsås but it´s not so far from Torsås.
I have a copy of his last letter to Sweden and it says that he never returned to Sweden. So what happened to the family after 1940 I don´t know. At that time he was 72 years old.
Morgan,
Does the date and place in the title of your original message relate directly to the photo?

Do you know where they lived in 1930? 1920? 1910?

By the way, I love the old doors behind your personal photo. How old are they?

Lynn in Los Angeles
It is related to his last letter to Sweden. I am not sure if you can see the photos but I have it on "My page" and also on "Photos" but I´m not sure how to find them. There is also his last letter to Sweden. I know from the photos that the family lived in Brooklyn about 1900-1940.
The door is from my grandfather Emil´s house. He rebuilded the house 1902. My cousin owns it now and they keep it in original shape. Emil and Gustaf were brothers and sailers as well as their brothers Karl and Alrik.
Perhaps it is obvious but have you done a detailed search of the 1910, 1920 and 1930 US Census? Ancestry.com would be the best place. But you have to be creative since the transcriptions sometimes can get mispelled.

Sometimes local libraries have full access to Ancestry.com or you can buy a subscription. Their indexing is good but it takes some practice (see my note above).
And when you refer to "his last letter to Sweden" I remember Mobergs book Last Letter Home.

A series of four famous novels tells about the life of Swedish immigrant family of Karl Oscar and Christina beginning in Sweden, settling in Minnesota and finally ending with Carl Oscars death. His descendants have lost what Swedish language they had and go to an old man in the town, originally from Sweden, and ask him to write relatives in Sweden. He writes a sensitive letter, himself having great difficulty writing in Swedish. The book are readily available in an excellent English translation. They are very worth reading since they are the story of most of our ancestors to some degree. Moberg was a good author.

It was also made into a PBS series with Max vonSydow and Liv Ullman. Well done, too.
Here is some more photos
Attachments:
Obviously this one is in Spokan and between 1913 and 1954? because it is a 48 star flag. Suit looks 1940s or maybe a little earlier.
The problem is I don´t have the names of Gustaf´s children. Here is an early photo of Gustaf´s family.
Why Spokane and the flag? Is it a special moment or perhaps a school? I suppose it´s one or both of Gustaf´s children.
Attachments:
Some more and the last mail to brother Karl i Sweden
Attachments:
Perhaps a very experienced fisherman could tell you more. Place? what kind of boat? Good luck
A man I know was a commercial fisherman out of San Pedro (many years ago) to see what he would say.

It was a cold climate or at least a cold day. A big fish but species not identified. It looks like a commercial fishing boat or at least a commercial boat. His boots are unusual but not identified.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service