Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

I guess my efforts have not been successful so far in trying to sync another computer using Family Tree Maker 2012.  I have a desktop computer synced through FTM2012 to an Ancestry file.  I recently acquired a laptop and wanted to use FTM2012 (installed on that computer as well) to sync with the same file also.  I have come to the conclusion that this cannot be done. 

The backdoor approach would be just to download the Ancestry file into FTM2012 onto my laptop, sign on to Ancestry and work on my tree.  As I cannot sync that tree because my desktop is already set up to sync with that tree, it means I would have to use that computer to sync the new information and then return to my laptop and download the updated tree again. 

I really can't find any further information on this particular subject.  Anyone know if it might be possible or not to sync this one tree with both computers?  I know you can't sync two trees together but this is a different issue.

Thanks.

Views: 4715

Replies to This Discussion

Currently, FTM2012 does not support that feature. Ancestry has stated that it's a much requested feature and are looking at providing that function in a future release.

That being said, although not with some effort and knowledge, you can sync the PC based files/folders between PCs directly either via: a local file transfer via mapped drives; using a flash drive to copy the files/folders; or using a cloud based file sharing service like Microsoft's SkyDrive (25 GB free) or DropBox (2 GB free or 100 GB with a subscription). All of this can get messy and difficult, especially if both have outstanding changes. There is no good easy way to resolve those differences.

Most likely, the best way to handle it for now is to have one PC be the "master" and use FTM2012 to sync with the tree on Ancestry.com. Then invite the other person(s) as a contributor to the Ancestry.com tree. Any changes that they make would be synced to FTM2012 the next time a sync with Ancestry.com is run.

FYI, Ancestry also has iPhone, iPad, iTouch, and Android apps, that can access the tree on Ancestry.com as well.

Hi Al,

Thanks so much for your quick response.  I can put that issue to bed then after reading your answer to my question.  It's nice to know that other people have also requested that.  I can sync between my to PC's at the moment but as you say it could get "messy." 

I will continue. as you suggested. to either update from either computer and use my desktop as the main sync computer and for FTM2012 reports.  I then can always update my laptop by downloading the file again.  It would be nice as you say, if FTM2012 provides that function in a future release.

Thanks again and BTW, I love your photo!  LMAO.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

My pleasure. Good luck with your research.

Al

Sarah,

ONE Computer to ONE AMT. There is not feature supporting two computers. You can work on the tree by NOT Sync it with the 2nd computer.

What you are trying is not a feature, at this time.

Russ

Russ,

I understand that feature is not available after Al's answer.  I'm talking about syncing my two computers AFTER syncing FTM2012 on ONE computer.  That way both computers share the same files on my network.

Sarah

Sarah,

You are talking about a non-standard, not supported configuration.

How are you syncing those computers now?

You could use the TreeSync™ feature on one computer, then do a File, Back Up on that computer and do a File, Restore on the other computer.

Have you considered using the 2nd computer to access your AMT from that computer and update it there?

Russ

Russ,

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough.  What I will use my laptop for will be to access Ancestry.com to update my tree and then use my desktop to sync with FTM2012.  Then when I generate reports on my desktop, I can sync those files to my laptop.  

When I want to update my FTM2012,  I will download to my laptop the newest updated file from Ancestry.com that was synced on my desktop.  It means deleting the older files on my laptop which is one of the reasons why I asked the question in the first place as to whether or not I could sync to both computers.  As to updating my tree on Ancestry.com, I can do that from either of my computers and just sync with the one desktop as I have been doing.

Sarah

Sarah,

As I answered. ONE computer can sync ONE AMT. you can Not sync from two computers.

What am I missing?

Russ

I don't understand what you mean by AMT first of all.  I have built in software that syncs between two computers for all of my files, if that is your question.  Please clarify.

Sarah,

AMT = Ancestry Member Tree

OK, if you have software that will sync the FILES, that find. BUT the issue still remains ONE COMPUTER to ONE AMT.

Or, sorry to tell you this, you can NOT sync that ONE AMT with both computers. Maybe in the future, but NOT now.

Does that help?

Russ

Russ,

Thanks for the clarification on AMT.

As to the sync from ONE AMT with both computers, I already acknowledged the fact that you cannot do this in my previous post above to Al Grosser and also in my first post to you.  It is a closed issue now.

Sarah.

I have the same problem. Recently, I have been getting an error message when I try to sync my netbook with my tree on Ancestry.com. I also sync with my iPad and want to also sync with my laptop ( too heavy to carry around!). I think if I work on my netbook or laptop, I can save it to a flash drive as well as the . Then take the flash drive to the other computer, copy it in, and then sync up to Ancestry. Before I can test this, I want to merge the FTM software with the tree up on Ancestry.com. Does anyone know how best to do this?

Thanks for your help.
Nancy

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service