Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Family Tree Maker 2011 - Pre-Sale Free Shipping

Whether you’re a seasoned pro or just starting on your family tree, Family Tree Maker 2011 can help you create a family tree faster, easier, and better than ever before. The end result is a family history that you and your family
will treasure for years to come. 

What’s New?

Family Tree Maker 2011 introduces more than 100 enhancements including:

• Smart Stories™— Just drag and drop facts from your tree to the new Smart Stories page. Each time you edit your tree, stories update automatically.
  • New and improved charts—Enhance your charts with new backgrounds, borders, and embellishments. Create four new designs, including a 360 degree fan chart.
  • Refined reports—Save and reuse report settings and use 5 new report styles.
  • Media management tools—Locate missing media items with the click of the mouse.
  • More Ancestry integration—Find out which Ancestry members are searching for your ancestors in the expanded Web Dashboard.
  • Better performance—Upload and download trees from the Internet with increased speed.
  • Numbering—Automatically number every person in your tree for quick reference.
  • Timelines—View more events that occurred during your ancestors’ lives. Even edit, delete or add your own historical events.

And don’t forget the features you’ve come to rely on:

• Dynamic user interface that lets you quickly switch between important features.
  • The ability to import data from other genealogy programs, including Personal Ancestral File, The Master Genealogist, and Legacy Family Tree.
  • Powerful sourcing tools that let you document AND rate each of your citations.
  • Interactive maps and lists that give you a bird’s-eye view of where members of your family come from.
  • Photo AND file management features so you can easily incorporate all types of media files into your charts and reports.
  • Timelines that highlight personal, family, and world events.
  • Easy-to-use tools for merging duplicate individuals, calculating dates, creating to-do lists, and more.

Use Ancestry.com and Family Tree Maker together to get the most out of both.

• Search the extensive record collections at Ancestry.com without ever leaving your family tree! And, when you find new records, you can quickly merge them into your tree.
  • Take advantage of Ancestry Hints—Family Tree Maker automatically suggests records that may match people in your tree.
  • Import your Ancestry.com family tree, along with attached photos.
  • Upload your tree to Ancestry.com and connect with millions of other family historians across the world.

Retail:
USD 39.95

SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS

Minimum system requirements:
Operating system: Windows 7 / Windows XP / Vista
Processor: 500 MHz Intel Pentium II (or equivalent)
Hard disk space: 500 MB for installation
Memory: 512 MB of RAM
2X CD-ROM (required for installation)
Display: 800 x 600 resolution for monitor

Recommended system requirements:
Operating system: Windows 7 / Windows XP SP2/Vista
Processor: 1GHz Intel Pentium III (or equivalent)
Hard disk space: 500 MB for installation
Memory: 1 GB of RAM
Display: 1024 x 768 resolution for monitor
32X CD/CD-R (required for installation)
All online features require Internet access

Copyright © 2010 by H R Worthington

Views: 685

Replies to This Discussion

Tracy,

Great. Thanks for letting us know.

Russ
I am totally frustrated with this problem. I contacted Ancestry today after trying to download a tree many times and received the same message as you, Tracy. I did NOT get a satisfactory answer from them. They told me to try a small tree with a few people in it and see what happens. I tried to explain that I get the script error before my trees appear on the page and it doesn't matter whether you override the error because then as soon as you hit the download button the script error appears again. Immediately it says my file is 99% downloaded and then you wait and nothing happens. I even tried leaving it to run and came back and still nothing and this was on the trial tree of three people. I have Java and JavaScript enabled, I am running under Win 7 x64 and have a broadband high speed cable connection. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling FTM11. I have FTM10 installed and never had an issue with that and now that doesn't work either. My program has been registered. What on earth does Yahoo have to do with this issue I wonder.

In addition I have Legacy and last Friday I tried downloading a text gedcom file and it would not download. I tried several time and waiting and had to sign out and even when I signed back on it was still supposedly downloading. I have Firefox but decided to try it in IE and that wouldn't work either. Some time on Saturday I tried it again and this time I had the file downloaded in seconds. There's something going on either with the program or Ancestry.com. I know they had a "free" weekend offer and thought maybe the servers were overloaded but I had no trouble working on my tree at all. This is very frustrating and I'm beginning to get angry over it all. Glad I am not alone! The Help FAQ's on Ancestry say nothing about this issue and it takes a lot of time to wade through it all as the search engine for that is not adequate.

If anyone finds out the solution as to the problem we want to know! I sent another email to Ancestry explaining that their idea did not work either so it's nothing to do with a large tree or media problems with just three persons in the tree. I am not happy about this!
Stephanie,

I have seen a number of folks just click on the Red "X" to cancel that error message. Don't know what is going on, but folks have pushed through that Error.

Russ
How interesting, Russ!

I did just that now and guess what? A box comes up to adjust your connection speed! Looks like it was automatically set to "Dial Up" instead of "Broadband." I selected the correct speed and clicked on the test tree and it downloaded right away! Consumers should be made aware of this. I will now try my larger tree and see how that goes. This is how the box looked after I clicked on the red X and how it looked afterwards. This is all very strange indeed and why did Ancestry.com not inform me of this when I wrote to them yesterday. Hope this post will help out others stuck with this problem.

This was a great tip! Thanks, Russ.

Steph
I guess I wrote too soon. I'm back to square one again. I tried another tree, this one has about 50 people and it took a long time to download but finally did. Usually, that would take seconds with my high speed broadband internet connection. Then I attempted to download one that has about 400 people and the same thing happened as before I reset the connection in that box provided. It immediately said it was 99% downloaded and stopped there and I just let it run for quite awhile and still nothing. This was done using Firefox browser.

I then closed that out and signed onto IE and Ancestry, loaded FTM and still the same results...nothing and it's still running. I'm getting that script error box again and clicking on the X does no longer bring up the connection speed box. I don't understand why they think you can reset your connection speed in the options box either. It's already set as a broadband connection by my cable provider.

I am ready to return FTM2011 if this continues another day and will just continue to use my Legacy software and to Donna I just say you should wait on any version of FTM2011 for your MAC and not purchase it until all these bugs get ironed out with Ancestry. I am totally frustrated and very angry at this point.

Steph
Steph,

There was a new feature in 2011 that may be at play here.

Please click on Tools, Options, and in the General Tab, what is the Speed Setting? How does that compare with your access speed of your internet connection?

Russ
Steph,

I think that the connection speed has NOTHING to do with your ISP speed, but an optimization setting within Family Tree Maker.

Please check that Knowledge Base Article.

Russ
Steph,

Just so that you know:

Please go to the Knowledge Base website at

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/

and enter 1837 in the Search Support box on that page.

I have also posted a new item on my Blog about this.

Russ
Russ,

I know about that setting and my FTM11 is set correctly to an optimal broadband connection. The problem was with Ancestry.com. Yesterday afternoon I tried again to download just a gedcom file for use with other software and I do this regularly anyway when I update my files on Ancestry so I have copies. Anyway, as soon as I clicked on "download" it would immediately return to my home page. I did this with several trees with the same result and no downloads. I assumed that Ancestry was working on the issue and didn't try again until later in the day.

This time I first attempted a plain text gedcom download once again and this time it was successful and no script error box appeared. I did two other trees with no problems. I then opened FTM11 and clicked on "download a tree from Ancestry". Once again the script error box appeared and I closed it out and my list of trees appeared. I clicked on "download" on one of my trees and the script error box appeared again just as it had in the past. I closed it out again and to my surprise the file started at 0% and quickly downloaded to 100%. I saved the file and it opened fine in FTM11. I did a quick check on a few things and it seems fine and all my media downloaded. My initial analysis of the program is it is a great improvement over its former version although I was pleased with FTM10.

In summary, the issue of not being able to download any trees from Ancestry for at least two days was strictly an Ancestry.com problem. I still say they should have at least informed customers that there was an issue and they were working on it. Hopefully, the whole problem has been resolved.

Steph
Steph,

Yes, it appears that Ancestry.com has an issue.

Also, please be specific about the Version Number. I do NOT think you have the very old Version 11. You have Version 2011. Two very different versions.

Russ
I can't wait for the FTM 2011 MAC version to come out. I am so ready for a better database program for my genealogy.

Donna : )
Donna,

I haven't seen nor heard a date,but it should be by the end of the year.

Russ

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service