Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Please post here about where you are in the process of becoming a member of the DAR. Also, share your lineage if you would like.

Views: 984

Replies to This Discussion

I was told by my Mom about 20 years ago that one of her Grandmother's sisters joined the DAR using one of our Cleveland ancestors. She no longer remembers the name of the Aunt who joined. I know the names of the husbands that they married, and decided that they had to have connected to either David Cleveland (m. Rebecca Tracy), b. 1724 CT, or his son, Tracy Cleveland (m. Phebe Hyde), b. 1751 CT.

How do I go about finding out which GGreat Aunt joined?
Terri:

You're best bet would be to contact a Registrar, every chapter has one (http://www.dar.org/natsociety/chapters.cfm can help you find a chapter near you). They have information to more information than the general membership.

I did find a Tracy Cleveland in the Patriot Index. He is listed as having served as a private from CT under Capt Bacon and Col Chester. It also looks like he was pensioned. You might be able to find his pension application at HeritageQuest (pension #S2124). They sometimes contain genealogical information.

Another avenue is to order a record copy for the ancestor. National will send you the best available application for that patriot. You have the option of specifying through which child, then you will receive the best available through that child. If no one has proven through that child, you'll receive the best available for that ancestor. See http://www.dar.org/library/record_copy.cfm for more information on obtaining record copies. It has been taking about 6 weeks for them to process record copy requests.

I found one David Cleveland, but he was from MA and the dates don't match. This doesn't mean that yours didn't serve, just that no one has proven it yet.

I hope this helps.

Lynette
I have been a member for about 5 years now. And I LOVE it. I'm a junior in my chapter, I hold a few chairmanships, an office and I'm very active in the CAR.
I am one of the newest members of the St. Charles County DAR. My ancestor is Samuel Wells.
I'm a member of the David Lindsay Chapter, Columbiana, Alabama. My ancestor is Henry Talley, Pvt, VA. I have a supplemental ready for John McLeroy and also for his father, William McLeroy. In the future (as money allows) I hope to submit supplementals for William McWaters, Thomas Shipp and William Covey. I'm also trying to connect my line to Jethro Butler and Thomas Moon.
If I have an ancestor who has her marriage record on file with the DAR, does that mean she was part of the DAR or that someone who descend from her was?

According to a distant relative, Nettie (Warden) Richmond's marriage record is in:
Turner, Ronald R., Marriage Records of Raleigh County, West Virginia, 1850-1910 (1991), Copy in
NSDAR Library

How do I find this out?
I have found my Rev. Soldier already and want to know if I just need to prove through Nettie or back further...
This sounds a book from the library, in which case, the answer to your question is no. The DAR library has an extensive genealogical collection that is independent of member lineage. However, the library also has access to a collection of patriot files that contain proof information submitted with member applications; these would be referenced by the patriot's name not by author and title.

A current Chapter Registrar may be able check for you to see if Nettie was ever a member. (I say may only because I don't how many of the older applications have been digitized and indexed.) The Chapter Registrar is responsible for new member applications and they have the ability to search the member database by name. If you're not already working with a chapter, http://dar.org/natsociety/chapters.cfm can help you find one.

One word of caution, even if you discover that Nettie was a member; you may still need to prove all the way back. A lot depends on how well documented they were. The standards of proof have changed over time.

I hope this information helps.
Lynette, Thanks for the reply. I have someone helping my son on the SAR line. We are just trying to get the proof we need for the current generations. I have been told once he is done, I will have most of what I need for the DAR side. I have found the marriage licenses that they will need for the past 4 generations (I think). But I was just wondering why she would have been listed. Thanks again for the reply. I will be getting in contact with the DAR in the near future.
terri
do you need a copy of the marriage record from Raleigh Co. WV? I can help you out once I get back home to WV. I only live an hour from the archives.
patsy
Patsy, the WV site has given my access to them. I have found 4 generations of marriage certificates there. Will I be able to use those?
Yes you will be able t o use those Terri.. sorry about not getting back in touch with you sooner..
If you want to leave a comment on my page the next time.

patsy..
I've been a member for almost 20 years on the service of Henry Muirheid/Muirhead. I haven't worked on other lines for about 10 years and have been amazed by the amount of information now available on the Internet. Maybe I can document information for some supplementals.

Just recently started working on my Thornton line again and met a "new" second cousin, once removed, who could pass for my twin! Her grandfather and my ggrandfather were brothers. We connected over the Internet when I found family pictures she posted that included my great-grandfather with some of his brothers and sister. How exciting!

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service