Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Please post here about where you are in the process of becoming a member of the DAR. Also, share your lineage if you would like.

Views: 984

Replies to This Discussion

Ladies check around and see what other chapters are in your area. Where do you live at Sara?

Sara you have to prove that Lambert Cadwalader fought or gave during the Rev War. Ive helped to prove several new patriots over the past five years since Ive joined the DAR in Charleston, WV. I belong to the Kanawha Valley chapter and I head up the lineage panel.

If you want help just let me know allright..
Can you give me some dates for your Lambert please? I might have found something but want to make sure i I have the right one.
I have been a member of Charles Dibrell chapter for a couple of years, but I was invited to attend meetings while I worked on my application, so it seems longer. Our city has three chapters - one meets on Saturdays, mine is the largest in the state and meets during the week, and the third chapter is smaller and also meets during the week.

I'm very sorry to hear that some members don't feel comfortable in their local chapters. If meeting times are a problem, perhaps you could offer to work out a time and place for evening or weekend meetings. A note in the newsletter might bring in others who need a different schedule. Our chapter tried holding a monthly evening meeting for working members, but we didn't get much response, probably because there is already a chapter that meets on the weekend.

As for programs, i.e. what happens at the meetings, volunteer for the Program Committee (or start one). Look around your area for people with interesting jobs who could speak to your group. We've had everybody from a coroner to a retired astronaut and enjoyed them all. One of our members creates beautiful historical costumes and gave us a terrific fashion show and story about them. SAR members have also done programs for us.

As for my own lineage, my Patriot Ancestor was a Philadelphia merchant who came to our side of the Atlantic from Ireland with his father and older brother in 1745. I was born right across the river in Camden, NJ in 1947. My Mom's family didn't move around much:)

Nobody in my family ( at least the ones I knew about) had any idea we qualified for a lineage society. The last member approved on my ancestor's line before me was in 1930. Once I found the connection, I ordered copies of all the the papers on my ancestor's line (there were only seven). Because of the time limitation I couldn't use them as proof, but they listed the proofs THEY had used. So I looked up the same documents and copied them for my own use. My patriot had only one son, but that son had LOTS of children and each of the applications I studied went through a different one. I had to do my own research to get back to my granddaughter of the patriot (of course, yet another child never reported before:) Well, it was fun!

Nice to meet all of you. I look forward to hearing more.

Thanks!

Victoria
I AM NEW TO THIS WEB SITE AND THIS GROUP. I CAP BECAUSE OF BAD EYESIGHT. I AM IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING MY DOCUMANTION TO JOIN THE D.A. R. BOTH MY COFFMAN / KAUFMAN LINE AND MY ABERNATHY LINE FOUGHT IN VA. HOW DO I GET AN ACTUAL WAR/ MILITEY RECORD. DABID KAUFMAN FROM ROCKINGHAM, VA. IT TOOK ME A LONG TIME TO GET THAT FAR .. DAVID USED KAUFMAN / COFFMAN INTERCHANGEABLY. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO GETTING TO KNOW YOU ALL BETTER. TAKE CARE, MS ROBIN
I FOUND A DAVID KAUFMAN IN THE PATRIOT INDEX OUT OF VA. THESE WERE DATES FOR HIM 1751 BIRTH DEATH 1835 LIMESTONE CO. ALABAMA.
WHAT WAS YOUR ABERNATHY FIRST NAME ETC??
patsy
Like several others that have posted, I am the registrar for my DAR chapter - Oak Creek Chapter from the Sedona/Verde Valley area of AZ. I went into the DAR on my patriot, Thomas Preston Sr. (Jr. also is a proven patriot and I also descend from him). I am preparing supplementals on three other patriots but am waiting until our budget gets a little healthier before I submit them.

Each chapter handles new members & their applications similarly but not all exactly the same. My cousin in MS was told by her local chapter "let us know when you get it all together and we'll help you submit the application." By contrast, when I have a new member referred to me, the very first thing I do is ask her where she is in the process. Has she identified an ancestor that was a patriot? If so, has she checked to see if he/she (there are some women patriots) has already been "proven" by a DAR member? If that is so, has she ordered the "record copy" on the patriot? Has she done her genealogy worksheet? Etc.

I always invite the gal over to my house to review what she has - no matter where she is in the process. I make sure to turn off the machine and devote at least 2 hours for the first visit. Once we get her genealogy worksheet completed (assuming a patriot is already approved), I can then use the e-membership part of DAR (only certain chapter officers can access this "private" part of DAR), and my subscriptions on ancestry.com and footnote.com to help her fill in any "blanks" or unproven data.

Just FYI for those still gathering information, you need to document every statement of fact - names, dates and places, and provide documentation that "links" each generation to the previous. For instance, if Mary Jane Doe Smith provides her birth certificate and it gives her full birth name Mary Jane Doe, date of birth, places of birth, and names her parents, that one document proves all the info on generation 1 for Mary and links her to the 2nd generation of her parents. She would also include her marriage certificate to Mr. Smith and his birth certificate (and any divorce or death certificates if applicable).

Anyway, sorry for the long post but I have found that the "proof" part is the most confusing for new "prospectives" (that's what we call you ladies wanting to join) - if anyone has any questions on what they have gathered or need advice on what to gather, I will try and help you.

I LOVE being the registrar because I am so totally a genealogy addict! :)

Allison
All of these prospectives....it's fabulous. I can't wait until we get you all approved. As you might have guessed, I'm already a Daughter. I had an easier route than most to membership; my mother is a member and I joined back in the days of the short, short form. My joining ancestor was George Suggs, NC.

I have been busy since then and added a number of supplementals - Augustine Leftwich, Sr., VA; Capt. John Champe Carter, Sr., VA; Benjamin Boone, NC and Bradley Gambill, VA/NC. I have a slew of others that are ready, but with the economy haven't been able to bring myself to pay the processing fee. And the hunt continues.

A word on these chapters that say you have to join locally. There is nothing in the national bylaws that says you have to belong to the chapter closest to where you live. I've belonged to chapters both locally and long distance and while it is more difficult long distance, it's not impossible. As long as the chapter you join approves you for membership, you can join any chapter that you would like. The chapter I belonged to when I lived in Michigan had members living as far east as New Jersey, as far west as Texas, and as far south as Florida. Find a chapter that you like or join as a member-at-large.

I'm happy to help anybody who needs it.
I am not in the process of becomming a member of DAR. However, my 4th great grandfather, Richard Lattin, was a member of the Green Mountain Boys of Vermont in the Revolutionary War.
I'm not a member yet but I understand from my paternal grandmother (who passed away last August) that I am eligible. She has mentioned several times that I am a direct descendant and eligible to join but I didn't know where to begin. I'm glad I found this resource and would appreciate any guidance in the application process. Our family was from Maine and New England. I presently live in Florida. thank you!
Catherine:

Do you happen to know the name of your patriot(s)? If so, any of us that have access to the patriot database can help you with a lookup. If not, then you should "run" your paternal grandmother's line backwards since that is where you were told your eligibility comes from. If I can answer any questions, please let me know.
This may seem like a really stupid question, but . . . I have at least 2 ancestor's that fought in the Revolutionary War. Do I need to document my whole line back to those gentleman, or do I just need to document it to the most recent DAR descendant?

For instance, if my Great Aunt became a member of the DAR, and I can trace my lineage back to the same anchor person, do I just need to document my ancestry to our common ancestor, or do I need to document it back to the original?
Terri - assuming that the hypothetical great-aunt's application is still acceptable to DAR (you can order the record copy to be sure), then you only have to document to your common ancestor. Past that, you will be linking to the great-aunt's application and will insert her NSDAR # on the generation proof lines.

Good luck!

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service