Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

I'm looking for the parents of James, my gr grfather. He appears in several documents between 1884 and 1894 and then disappears, leaving a wife and 3 small children behind. My Mother would not talk about him and the others that knew of him died long before I became interested in him. I've tried tracing him through his wife, Lizzie Richter, but she is pretty elusive herself: I know she was born around 1866, probably in Phila, married James 1884, had three kids, divorced James 1894, married a Haines, and died in 1907. I have a picture of her.

I appreciate any and all scraps of information. Am willing to share my info on James and Lizzie's descendents.

Lorry

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

What are the names of the 3 children and approximately when were they born? Do you know the first name of Mr. Haines? Did Lizzie die in Philadelphia?
Sharon,
1. Robert James or Charles b. 9 Oct 1884 d . 20 June 1948, Philadelphia, PA
2. William b. 8 Nov 1890, d. 10 Nov 1960 in Woodbury, NJ
3. Amelia b. bef 1890, d. at age 10

I have pretty well documented all James descendents (on GEDCOM), and now am searching for his antecedents.

I have no information on Lizzie's marriage to a Haines other than the mention of it contained in a letter from William to my Mother. Uncle Bill remembers being called "Hainesy" by his friends. However, the Haines and Reynolds families did apparently intermarry over time so there may have been a conection .

I have a copy of the marriage license between James and Lizzie, but it is unreadable. I am going thru my parents notes to try to find out where they got it to try for a clearer copy. I have the name of the church and the minister, just need to find where the records are!

Lizzie propably died either in Phila. or someplace near by. She was apparently a frequent visitor and I have several pictures of her with members of the family.

Other names connected in a direct line with my mother are Foley and Magel as gggrmo and ggggrmo but I have no idea which is which or who belongs to which side of the family. Somewhere there is a picture of 5 generations working back from my mother that was published in a local (South Phila) newspaper between 1907 and 1909. I have not yet been able to locate which newspaper.

If any of this sounds familiar or rouses a thought, I'd love to hear about it. I thank you for taking the time to respond to my plea.

Lorry Wolfe
Bingo!

Have spent some time searching for you. I found death certificate for Lizzie. Magel was her mother's maiden name. Lizzie married William Hoehn in 1894.

Contact me at sharonmeeker@bellsouth.net and I will e-mail documents to you.

Sharon Meeker
Sharon,
Thanks so much for the great help! I'd never have thought to spell Haines, with all its variants, as Hoehn.
I was pretty sure Magel was her mother's name as I have her on the PA census as such but could never really pin it down. There is a James Reynolds living nearby who is about a 50% match but could be okay. I'll now focus on locating the marriage license and hope James's parents are on it.

My email address is:
dw134svt@yahoo.com

Again, thanks a lot! Let me know if I can do anything along the Connecticut River of Vermont/New Hampshire or with the Lyon clan and its allied families.

What part of the sunny south are you in? We spent a delightful winter on Tybee Island, GA.

Lorry

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service