Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

For those who wish to introduce themselves - perhaps say something about your ancestral connection to Missouri, and share any details about particular areas of expertise.

My paternal ancestors arrived in St. Louis between 1880 and 1910 (from Poland and Lithuania), and my maternal ancestors arrived in St. Louis between 1920 and 1934 (from Texas, and Illinois). I have lived in St. Louis my entire life (40 years) except for a few years during college.

Views: 550

Replies to This Discussion

I just saw your post (I am new to the group). I am from St. Louis, but live in Independence. The Catholic records at the County Library are fantastic. I wish we had them at our Midwest Genealogy Center.. Where in St. Louis did your grandparents llive? I noticed you had a Clancy, so you must have some Irish! I am looking for TIGHE (1850 on) and DWYER (1870-on) I grew up in the West End,they lived on Page in the City.

I am teaching a class in a few weeks at the Midwesst Genealogy Center on St. Louis research- I work there- and I already have a number of people signed up!
If you are ever in Kansas City again, stop by our Center and see it; we're only one year old and we are the largest free-standing public genealogy library in the country. We have so much material.
Just though I would say hi. Suzanne
Hello everyone, my name is Catherine!

Missouri is a link in my Irish-immigrant grandparent's story. Henry and Sarah Murphy emigrated from Ireland (Cork?) in ~1881. They had one (surviving) child Mary E. Murphy b.1886 (IL). Henry and Sarah moved to Missouri where they had Catherine Ann Murphy Wagner (b.1887), and Eva S. Murphy Schopflin (b.1889) before moving onto Denver, CO where the next daughter was born in 1890. So this puts Henry and Sarah Murphy in MO from 1886-1890. Henry worked in brickyards in CO and later in CA. My guess is that he worked for a brickyard, possibly a burgeoning urban area, and moved the family to Denver when the railroad made it there. Historically, this seems to be the time when Denver was building up, lots of brick buildings, brickyards, jobs and laborers. Was 1886-1889 a good time for brick moulding in MO? Were any areas of MO known for their clay deposits, brickyards, or brick buildings? Are there birth certificates or city directories from this era?
The Missouri Secretary of State page (http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/birthdeath/#search) has some birth records from the period you are searching. footnote.com (pay) has some City directories from St. Louis from this era. (They have at least one other Missouri City Directory, but I'm researching St. Louis right now, and so didn't look very carefully at it.)

Sue
Hello everyone! I am researching a few lines in Missouri. The Graham's in Johnson County (Centerview/Warrensburg); Shipps , McGees, Hobsons, in the same. Also the Shelton's in Memphis, Scotland County. Nathaniel Shelton (1839-1915) is a particular brick wall of mine that I would love to be able to break through! At his death, he was married to Sarah Francise Dean, but was married to another Sarah earlier and had a daughter, Cora. There may be other children from this first marriage as well.
My name is Tiffany. I am researching my family surnames, Black, Garner, and Martin in Daviess County. The Treese, Wilson, and Sharr surnames in Andrew County and Nodaway County.
My area of expertise would have to be Midwest Genealogy, census work and newspaper research.
I am researching the CLARK families in Newton, McDonald & nearby counties in SW MO. Also may have been in Benton Co, AR. I am related through Jackson Lafayette Clark & his wife...Mary?... Their son Joseph was my great grandfather, who married Mary Jane Williams. Glad I found this site.
I am researching several families in the Nodaway County, Clinton County, Buchanan County, Saline County, Cooper County, Boone County, and Bates County areas.
I live in Boon County — I don't know much about look-ups, but I could try to find things that you might need. I belong to the genealogical society centered in Boone County.

Sue
I am looking for Bertha L. Becker, who, I believe, was born in St. Louis around 1854. She also had an older brother. Her mother's name was Amelia Reber, who came from Germany, as did Bertha's father. They left at some point, possibly after the death of the father, and ended up in New York City, where Bertha married Frederick Freitag.
My paternal line SHERWOOD came to Missouri settling at New Madrid just after 1840. That line also includes the surnames DUNKLIN and McALLISTER. The family moved to St. Joseph in the 1870s. Where the Sherwoods married spouses named CROSS, PERKINS, and PLANK.

My maternal lines Settled into Missouri at various times in the 19th Century between 1820 and 1870. With the following families settling in Chariton, Linn, Boone and Howard Counties. ALLEN, STAN(D)LEY, PHILLIPS, JOHNSON, VOYLES and FUNDERBURK.
Maternal familes DOAN, WASSON, JONES, JOHNSON, CLAYTON and HARRIS settled in Saline, Audrain, and Johnson Counties during the 1820-1860 time frames.

My families have 3 separate lines to Mayflower descendants, HOPKINS and BiLLINGTON families.
My Maternal Family was from Scott County, Missouri area and Stoddard County. My Fathers Family was from Wayne County, Missouri, namely Silva and Greenville, areas.
I'm in search of the Cantrell/Cantrill of Cantrell Creek in Dade County, Missouri. I have a lot of information on them however it would be nice to talk to others that are researching these folks.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service