Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

I descend from Johannes Wolford (various spellings) and Anna Maria Agatha (Zimmerman??)who landed in Philiadelphia 3 Sept 1739 on the ship Friendship. They eventually settled in Berks Co in 1749 and he died in 1751/52. They lived in the area of Rehresburg in Tulpehocken Twp. Anyone else here related to him? Where are your Wolfords from

Views: 245

Replies to This Discussion

Jim, Reyless was born in Westmoreland County, PA. His father's name was Jacob and his mother's name was Susanna Bash.What I have shows that he had a Great-Great Grandfather of Johannes, born in Germany in 1693 and died in Berks in 1751. Johannes's wife's name, that I have, is Maria Agatha Wohlfardin (?), born in Germany in 1697. This sounds good. Talk to you soon, Ray
The Wohlardin name is something that is common to German names of that time. Adding an -en or -in to a woman's surname. That simply is the feminine version of Wohlfard. Same name different gender.
I was on the PA Archives site the other day. They have Reyless listed, but not much about him. Only that he was in Co. C 14th Pa Cavalry. More info on him soon.
When did the spelling on the last name change? I have on the ship register that it was Wolfert and then later in records it shows as Wohlfort and later still as as Wolford. There is also an Anna Maria on the ship registry with no apparent last name.
Hi Stephen - thanks for your response. I have 19 different ways to spell Wolford. Johannes' will is spelled with "oo". My great Aunt Lizzie said her family in Centre and Clinton Co. PA spelled it Wohlford to differentiate them from other Wolfords. But her uncle Philip on his tombstone in Arlington has Wohlfart. Her uncle Jesse in Omaha has Wolford on his. Her mother has Wohlport on hers. So who knows. There is a separate family in Wythe Co. VA who has Wohlford. They descend from Ludwig in Cocalico Twp Lancaster Co. But those from this branch who joined the Moravians in Salem NC anglicized it to Welfare. So who are your ancestors?
Martin J. 1695, Germany (who I assume is Johannes Wolfert since our information says he came on the Friendship in 1739)
John Phillip, York, PA
John George(Sr.)1782
George 1813, PA
Catherine Wohlford Burger 1837, OH
Keller
Workman
Studebaker

Something like this.......
Hi Stephen - I'm not sure where this Martin name comes from. I have only seen Johannes in my research but others besides you have his name Martin. There was a Martin in Cocalico Twp, a son of Ludwig. John Phillip is my 4th grgrandfather he was married to Catherine Kraemer. They lived here in York Co PA. He was a cobbler. Then his son Philip who came to Centre Co PA about 1798 and his son Phillip who married Sophia Snook and moved to Clinton Co PA. Their daughter Sophia Jane Wohlford who married Charles Calvin Bartels. Luther Bartels m. Anna Ferguson, their dau Gaihl m. James Avery. They are my parents.

There is a lady named Hodson I used to correspond with who is related to your family. He sent me a bunch of stuff on the Burgers. She lived in California I think. The Burgers were in Knox Co OH. Do you know her?

Do you ever come to chat rooms? I host a Pennsylvania Chat on Sunday nights at 9 pm eastern time. Tomorrow my topic is Conrad Weiser who lived in Berks Co. PA and was an interpreter with the Indians anong other things including being John Phillip's guardian after Johannes died. If you see me on the list of people here, pop into the chatroom and say Hi.

Jim
Phillip would be my 5th great grandfather. Most of my family ended up in Knox Co, OH. That is where my Burgers ended up and the Workmans also. Burgers from PA and Workmans from Maryland. Studebakers were and are Church of the Brethren from Germany and ended up in Miami and Clark Co. OH. Studebakers came into port in Philadelphia in 1736 and then to Fredrick, Maryland. I would like to contact the gal from CA with the Burger connection, if you still have her information. Or if you have the information and could share with me I would appreciate it.
Steve
She sent me several family group sheets. I will see if I can scan them and e-mail them to you. What is your e-mail? You can e-mail me at WolfordMigration@aol.com

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service