Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Hi all-

I'm searching for the date of death for my great great grandfather Gus(Gustavis) LaCour, he was on the 1900 and 1910 census in Liberty, Texas. He was born about 1848 in Louisiana, parents were Gilbert and Aurelia LaCour. He served on the Confederate side in the Civil WAr, I hhave many records of him on the roster records.

I have access to Ancestry, I have tried finding a death record for Gus on the FamilySearchLabs Texas Death records, with no luck, I haven't found an obituary anywhere, tried Genealogybank, NewspaperArchive, FindAGrave and Family Search-

are there other resources I'm missing?
thanks!

Views: 140

Replies to This Discussion

Found this info thru World Vital Records which was abook on Google. Still under copywrite so just a snippet was available.
Liberty, Liberty County and the Atascosito District, Author Miriam Parlow. Published 1974
C.1863, Creole Men from Liberty, all related served in the same company of the Army of the Confederacy:
J.M.C. LaCour, Arenor Lacour, Wash LaCour, GUS LACOUR, Ernest LaCour, Jose LaCour, Antoine LaCour, Sip Lacour, Alcide DeBlanc, Joe DeBlanc, Caesar DeBlanc, Appo Gillard, Ludolph Gillard and Selim Fortier.
You may be able to access this book at a public library.
:) thank you, Judy- Google Books is great, I found some books there that weren't under copyright anymore, I just wish the 1890 census still existed! or if I could find the census he took, if he was the one who did it. ;)
Hi
Further research on WVR shows in The State of Texas Biennial Report (no date) that Gus LaCourt was the Assessor of Taxes in Moss Bluff in Liberty County.
HI Judy-
I'm guessing this my Gus, but I'm not sure yet-in 1900 and 1910 he worked as a watchman in a sawmill, he was one armed from fighting in the Civil War, from what I've found on line the family seems to have been well-respected. And I found a court case where a Gus LaCour was trying to get the tax assessor job, but there was a dispute over where he lived.
More stuff from WVR-- Seven Pines: its occupants and their letters, 1825-1872 published 1986 By Camilla Davis Trammell

Gus is mentioned in a snippet. Unable to read this but line under his name mentions very handsome and much improved and also mentions Sip Lacour.
I've been trying to see if I can find this book, I may try my used bookstore today. :) I'd really love to know if there is more than one reference to him in it, or a reference to his father Gilbert, it sounds like a fascinating book even without the familial connections. :)
The Biennial Report was published in 1886.
By the way, Sip LaCour's name was Edward.
Thanks Judy, I haven't come across an Edward yet. :) I really appreciate your help!
Wish I could find some of my people as easily as I have found "stuff" on your family.
Also this Edward was a Junior.
I know, sometimes we have better luck finding "stuff" when its not our own treasures we are looking for. :)
How True!!

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service