Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

I had a major breakthrough on my Pennsylvania ancestors recently. Over the years I ran into break walls trying to go beyond my Great-Great Grandfather, b. 1828, d. 1909, Lancaster County Pennsylvania. I had a major breakthrough when I found his parents, Benjamin and Mary Green, but that was where it ended for a while.  While writing my latest book, Black Minqua I went over documents on Ancestry.com and spotted important information. I found records of baptisms and land ownership with my ancestors. I also found a newspaper article about a Tom Green, written in 1792.  That Tom Green was the key to my search and turned out to be the son of Thomas Green Senior and his wife Ann.  After connecting to Tom Junior, I went on another search and found original Warrants and Patents to Land in Chester and Lancaster County Pennsylvania. There was also a Will left by Thomas Green Senior in 1737, naming his heirs, one of whom was Thomas Green Junior, my ancestor.

I ordered copies of the original land record and also have a copy of the Will. The Warrants and Patents to Land Purchased in the early 1700's, were signed by Willilam Penn's sons, John, Thomas, and Richard Penn. The records were not originally stored in Harrisburg, but Philadelphia, where the office of Warrants and Patents was located.

I am so pleased to be able to make these connections, and hope to find more information on the females.

My latest book details the search to find these elusive ancestors. Follow this link to the Purchase site and for more information; Black Minqua: The Life and Times of Henry Green.

Views: 401

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Anita,

Many od m mother's relatives came from Pennsylvania and in the area of Chester County, some of my mtdna matches for surnames are Greene, Proctor, Long, Silvers, and many more. I am Jewish and quiet and admixture. I am looking for information on Nancy Jane Manuel/Emanuel and her husband Johnson Brewigton of Sampson County, NC. Nancy's daughter was Polly Ann Brewington married to a  Bennett Jackson, his name may have been Arthur also. I a death certificate oly for Polly Ann Brewington with her parents and spouse's name on it. They are connected to the Brewington's of Tennessee and Sampson County and possibly South Carolina. My mtdna test shows that my maternal ancestors were European from Northern and western Europe. My haplogroup is H10e2 that evolved outside of Europe from Iberia before migrating to North Europe Russia and Finland. I do have Native American and Artic Ancestry. Basically a female from my maternal ancestors married a mulatto man of African and European ancestory or a black man and man and some continued to marry within the black american community while others married europeans and Native Americans. My desire is to find information on my Nancy Jane Manuel/Emanuel and her ancestors. Many of them left Pennsylvania and traveled through  West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia and finally settling west of the Catawba River, Lincolnton, Winston-Salem, Rockingham, Pender County, Wayne, Duplin and finally Sampson County and Cumberland County. I know that many of the family divided along racial and cultural stigmas. Some migraed to California, Mississippi,Florida,  Louisiana and Texas. While many left Sampson County and moved to Indiana, Michigan and Ohio. Michigan has the largest Finnish Community and much of my mtdna leads to Michigan, Wisconsin, Oregon, Utah, and Minnesota where you will find people of German and Finnish ancestry. The English side of my mother's ancestors lead to New York, Connecticutt, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire.

Martha,

Thanks for sharing. My Lines are just as convoluted. I took a mtdna test in 2003, and it came back T2 (I have to go to the site to break it down),  87%European, 8%Native, 5% African. This is my straight maternal DNA line. That Line traces back through Wales, The Basque Region of Spain, and the Iberian Peninsula. There are DNA Cousins all along the line. My Green and Martin ancestors from Chester County spread out some went south and others left for Canada. My brother took a DNA Test in 2005, which came back 100% Native for our paternal line.

Hang in there and you will break through the walls. This has been my experience.

Anita

Anita,

Thank you for such rapid response. I have a few Finns that I communicate with  and they have been very helpful. I have relatives in the Saami indigenous people's tribe of Northern Finland. Most of my  Russian matches are Ashkenazi Jews. My mother was only seven years old when her mother died at a young age of 28 years old in 1928. Mom passed in 2001 at the age of 80 years old. I promised to my mother to research her ancestors and pass it on to my children and great grandchildren. I am related to many of the Germans and Russians that immigrated to Pennsylvania. Some were Quakers, Mennonites, Lutherans and Jewish. It has been a challenge but I am driven and have actually located aDNA and t third cousin that I did not know of in Maryland, our great grand fathers were brothers. And just this week, I have lcated another third cousin and her grandparents were killed in the Nazi concentration camps. Do you know of Alva Griffith? She was reared as African American and her mtdna results are a Native American Haplogroup. I teach Science in North Carolina and I am so grateful for the study of DNA and Genetics. I use my results as a teaching tool in my classroom.

Martha,

I don't believe I have heard of Ms. Griffith, but I would like to communicate with her if possible. It looks like you are well on your way!

Thank you for sharing.

Alva is on this page also, she told me her father was a Lumbee from Robeson County, NC  And I think her roots may go back to South Carolina. She is related to the Conrad and Mason surname and so am I. But, you are welcome.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service