Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

My most frustrating and Elusive Ancestor is my GGGG-Grandfather John Morris.

He was born abt 1755 in or near Orange County, Va, in 1775 he married Linney Brown in St. Thomas Parish, Orange County, Va. About 1810 he and most of his Family moved to Boone County, Ky where he died in 1825.

his Children were:

Reuben Morris married Sally Acree
Thomas Morris married Betsy Acree
John Morris married 1st Susanna (Sukey) Dollins and 2nd Fanny Lucas
George Morris
Rebecca Morris married William Acree
Nancy Morris married John Cornelius
Elizabeth Morris married James Acree
Polly Mary Morris married Theophilus Martin
Lucy Morris married 1st John Breedlove and 2nd James Sebree

I have hired Researchers in Virginia and Kentucky, I have also spent lots of money on DNA tests for the Morris DNA Project. I have had 8 Solid good matches with other Morris lines from Virginia, Kentucky and North Carolina and even with all that I have still been stuck in the same place for 4 years.

Wendy

Views: 1168

Replies to This Discussion

Hi GeneJ,

I worked my way Backwards with this Morris line, I know they moved to Indiana by 1831, 1st to Rush County, where I have a Property Deed where they sold their land abt 1834 and then they moved to Marshall County, Indiana where they stayed and many still live today. I have many records from Indiana from the Line of John, Jr, Property Records, marriage records etc..I live in Illinois so I have been to Indiana many times and have compiled alot of info.
Then I tracked the Family backwards to Boone County, Ky, I found a Reference to the Marriage of John Morris, Jr and Fanny Lucas. That is when I hired a Researcher. She was very Thorough, she found their marriage bond which listed Fanny's father. The marriage was performed by a Baptist Minister who was from the Bullitsburg Baptist Church, so she was able to find some church records for the Family. She also found the best piece and that was the Estate Sale Records for John, Sr. who died in 1825. The Record lists all of his 9 Children as well as the married names of his daughters. There is even a map of his Property and a Diagram that shows 10 Sections, 1 section went to his Widow and the other 9 sections to each of his children. I then asked her to Obtain the Property Records so I could find out who sold their share when and to whom they sold it, she was able to get the records for 8 of the children. In addition she was able to get some assorted Marriage bonds for some of his daughters. I had hoped she would have been able to get a copy of his original Land Purchase or Grant and that she was unable to find. He had 80 acres so I am assuming it was a Grant for Military service in the Revolutionary War but I do not have any proof.
I then found a Reference to the marriage of John Morris and Linney Brown at the Library of Virginia they were married in 1775 in Orange County. So I hired a Researcher in Orange County, she was not able to find much, the marriage record is only a 1 line Reference in a book which state that Bans were read in St. Thomas Parish.
I have some Marriage records for some of his Children in Orange County and a Baptismal record for 1 of his daughters. He was taxed in Orange County between 1775 and 1810 but she could not find a record of him owning property. Recently another Morris Researcher found a Deed for Property he sold in 1809 which ties in with the move to Boone , Ky in 1810.
I have searched for other Morris lines in the area and have asked Descendants to Participate in the DNA Project, some have matched and others did not which was a good way to eliminate unrelated lines.
I have also tried to find anything on the Families his children married into such as the Acree Family and again I have hit a Dead-end.

Yes, the "Nye and Related Families" is my Tree, and as you can see I have many source records for the Family but I do not have them listed on the Tree, I did Attach every Census record I could find to every member of the Family. Most of the "One World Tree" and "Public Tree" "sources" are Trees created by others who have used my Tree to start their own.

I am open to any and all Suggestions, I am running out of ideas!!

Thank You

Wendy
Thank you for the Wonderful Ideas, I had Created a Timeline which I will post here:

Timeline for John Morris b. abt 1755 in Virginia

1. Marriage Record Orange County, Virginia 21 Sep 1775, St. Thomas Parish to Linney Brown.

a. Marriage record is a 1 line entry in the back of a book that just states the date and that Banns were read.
b. St. Thomas Parish has several Churches, the Banns could have been read in any of these churches? Or the Banns could have been in a local paper? I have a book on the Churches of St. Thomas Parish. I am assuming they were married in a Baptist church because they were members of the Baptist Church later on in life? Another assumption I have made is that the Church they were married in was actually the home church of Linney Brown as opposed to John Morris.

2. John is in the 1782, 1783, 1784 and 1787 Census records in Johnny Scott’s district in Eastern Orange County, Va

3. Next known record is in the “Douglas Register” on 30 Jan 1787, they were Re-married and their daughter Nancy was baptized by Rev. Douglas, Nancy was born on 12 Oct 1786. Rev. Douglas was a traveling Minister and he may have traveled to Orange County where he performed this Baptism? Rev. Douglas was mostly known in Louisa County, the fact that this Baptism was not listed as performed in Louisa is an indication that it was performed elsewhere. The fact that Rev. Douglas re-married this couple when he performed the baptism of their daughter tells me that he did not perforn the original ceremony in 1775.

4. John Morris was the security along with James Acree when James Acree married Elizabeth Acree (spinster) on 21 Dec 1795 in Orange County

5. Next records for John are in the 1796 , 1797, 1798 and 1798 Tithables in Orange County.

6. Next Record is on 24 Dec 1804 in Orange County, John Morris was the Bondsman when his daughter Rebecca married William Acree.

7. In 1810 John has 4 Tithables in Orange County

8. John appears in the 1810 census in Boone county, Ky so he moved to Boone County, Ky in 1810 between the Tithable count in Orange County and the Census count in Boone, Ky

9. John appears in the minutes of the Bullitsburg Baptist Church, he and Linney were received into this Church on 04 Jan 1812

10. John is in the 1820 Boone County , Ky census, a male aged 26-45 and a female 16-26 along with 2 males under 10 and a female under 10 tells me that either 1 of his sons and their family lives with John and Linney or 1 of his daughters and their husbands?

11. The next record for John is in Oct 1825 in Boone County, Ky at the sale of his Estate, he passed away at some point before his Estate was sold in Oct 1825.

Children of John and Linney, their spouses, marriage dates and places:

1. John b. abt 1783 in Virginia, married 1st Susanna (Sukey) Dollins on 14 Oct 1809 in Orange County, Va, 2nd Fanny Lucas on 01 Jun 1823 in Boone County, Ky John and his 2nd wife and children from both marriages left Boone, Ky abt 1830 and settled 1st in Rush County, Indiana where they lived abt 5 years and then moved further north to Marshall County, Indiana where they settled and lived for the rest of their lives. John passed away in 1854 and is buried at the Morris Cemetery in Marshall County, Indiana

2. Thomas b. abt 1782 in Virginia, married Betsy Acree on 20 Jan 1803 in Orange County, Va (note: Betsy passed away before 1815, could the male 26-45 and 3 children be Thomas and his children in the 1820 Boone County Census with John, the female 16-25 would be sister Lucy who did not marry until 1823) Thomas is the only sibling where there is no record of him selling his share of his fathers Estate in Boone county, Ky

3. Reuben b. abt . 1776 In Virginia, married Sally Acree on 22 Dec 1806 in Orange County,Va, Reuben and his Family stayed in Orange County, they did not follow the rest of the Family to Boone, Ky, Reuben sold his share of his parents Estate in Boone, Ky via Proxy from Orange, Va in 1831. Reuben lived in the section of Orange County, Va that became Greene County in 1838.

4. George b. abt 1789, married Unknown and moved to Christian County, Ky, he sold his share of his fathers Estate in 1830 via Proxy from Christian County, Ky

5. Rebecca b. abt 1784 in Virginia, married William Acree on 24 Dec 1804 in Orange County, Va. Rebecca and William are still living in Boone County, Ky in 1850, in 1860 Rebecca is still living in Boone, Ky by herself, William Acree must have passed away 1850-1860. Rebecca is not found in 1870 leaving the assumption she passed away 1860-1870

6. Nancy b. 12 Oct 1786 in Orange, Va (see notes from Douglas Register), married John Cornelius on 05 Jun 1812 in Boone County, Ky, Nancy passed away in 1825 in Kenton County, Ky

7. Elizabeth b. abt 1790 in Virginia, Married James Acree and lived in Boone, Ky

8. Polly (Mary) b. abt 1790 in Virginia married Theophilus Martin on 01 Oct 1816 in Boone County, Ky, Polly and her family moved to Dearborn County, Indiana where she sold her share of her parents Estate via Proxy in 1829

9. Lucy b. abt 1791 in Orange County, Va, married 1st John Breedlove on 24 Dec 1823 in Boone County, Ky and 2nd James K. Sebree on 10 Feb 1839 in Boone County, Ky . Lucy was still in Boone, Ky in 1860, I have not found her in any census record after 1860.
I am interested in the Morris line from North Carolina. Thomas and Susan Morris from Bertie. Is this the same line you are working on????
I am not sure? I have found ties to North Carolina Morris lines through DNA testing but so far we have not found a Common Ancestor to connect our lines?

I have a Morris Group on My Family.com and I can send you an Invite, maybe someone on there will have a connection? Just send me your e-mail address and I will get an Invite to you.

My e-mail is wendyramirez2608@yahoo.com

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service