Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

My most wanted ancestor is Jacob Avery b. ca 1784 in PA according to the census. He is in the Bradford County PA census. In 1850 he is with who appears to be a daughter named Betsey. In 1860 he is listed with his son J.B. (ancestry indexed JB as Jabez because the enumerator spelled the first name Jabey) We know that he also had a son named Charles Avery who married Lucy West. They were my great grandparents. This line is frought with stumbling blocks. He is supposedly buried in Gillets PA. His wife must have died relatively young because when Charles died in 1909, his death cert shows Jacob to be his father but the mother was not known. Of course the cemetery records were burned so we have no information on where Jacob is buried, or if he is buried with his wife.

Views: 253

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jim-

Doing a search on FindAGrave, I find 4 cemeteries in Gillett, Bradford, PA. Do you have an obituary for Jacob? I'm not familiar with Gillett, do you know the closest large town/city? Chronicling America is a good source for finding archives of old newspapers:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

On the 1870 census, I see Jabez with his family in Granville, Bradford, PA in the next household there is a Henry Avery, about 8 years younger than Jabez, could this be another son of Jacob?

ETA: Just answered my own question, Henry appears in the 1880 census in Jabez household, in Armenia Township, Bradford and is listed as a cousin.
4 Cemeteries in Gillett. Not quite although Findagrave says 4. There are two actually within the town - The Gillett and Upper Gillett. They are separated by a row of huge trees. If you were stamding in the cemetery by the church you would not know. Believe me I have made that mistake many times before someone told me about the upper cemetery where my grgrandparents Charles and Lucy are buried. Charles and Lucy's daughter Roxie and her husband George Collins are there too

The other two cemeteries. One is Coryland which is west of Gillett I believe in the next township. I have never been there and Joyce Tice's usgenweb site shows no familiar names there. Mountain Lake is the 4th cemetery in Gillett ( according to Findagrave ). It is not even close. Mountain Lake is several miles south and east on the other side of Troy from Gillett

But Karen - thank you for your help. You have gotten to where everyone searching this bunch has gotten. Back to Jacob and then get stuck. But there are some tantalizing clues which I will post separately..
One tantalizing clue is Deborah Blodgett she is the wife of Charles Blodgett and was born ca 1785. Deborah's maiden name was Avery. Could she be Jacob's sister? Birth years are only a year apart. Charles and Deborah's son Jacob married Annis Ann Avery, Jacob's daughter. Marrying one's first cousin was not unheard of back then. Deborah Blodgett lived near Jacob.
Hi-
On the 1850 census in South Creek, Bradford Census, I find a Deborah Blodgett in the household of George Whitmore, and who I assume to be his wife, Deborah. Is Deborah Whitmore Deborah Blodgett's daughter?

Deborah Blodgett is listed as being born in NY in 1785.
The nearest big city to Gillett is Elmira NY. (Are you in that area?) I have not found an obit for Jacob as I don't know when he died. Troy PA is south of there and had a newspaper. A lot of the obits in the Elmira papers are on Joyce Tice's usgenweb site for Chemung Co. NY and Tioga and Bradford Co PA. I don't know about Troy. I will be coming thru there next week and may stop at the library. Maybe I can talk them into allowing me to bring in my research dog. Otherwise I won't be able to stay long. (Unless it is raining) There is a Potter cemetery in the Gillett - Snedekerville area.too. Only a couple of graves there and no Averys or other familier names. I see findagrave has a Cole Cemetery listed for Snedekerville. Charles and Lucy Avery lived on a farm there. I will have to look on Joyce's site for the Cole cemetery.

Thanks again for posting.
Hi Jim-

On the 1820 census in Troy, Bradford, PA, I see a Jacob Avery with 2 sons under 10, a possible son under 16, an adult male under 45 years of age, and a female under 45.
Another thought-

On the 1860 census where Jacob is living with Jabez, there is a Rachael Avery, age 62, could this be Jacob's wife or unmarried sister/ or sister in law?
Rachael is Jacobs wife. She died at the Bradford County Farm in 1880. I beleive Jacob died first between 1860 and 1870 and the Rachael went to the what was then the poor house. I think the records show she was a pauper when she died.
Welcome to the group, Janet. :)

Can you relate any resources in regards to Bradford County that would help identify Jacob's parents? Did he fight in the War of 1812? I found some Averys in the pension index on Ancestry, but did not find one that fit Jacob's timeline.

Thank you!
Jim and I are related, Charles and Lucy are my gr great grandparents. We are stuck at Jacob, can not determine his parents as this time.
Hi Janet-

I notice on the 1850 census that Jacob is living with Betsey, his daughter, and his nephew Henry, but Rachel is not on this census, also, I don't see her living with Jabez. I'm just curious where she is. I'm wondering if Rachel is the mother of Jacob's children or a second wife? I'm assuming she is the mother as her age fits, and Jabez appears to have named one of his daughters Rachel.
Attachments:
a little more on Rachel- I'm just curious if she is related to the Elizabeth Fenton who is the head of household where Rachel is living in 1880, see attached census.
Attachments:

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service