Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Monday, Apr 2, 8:00pm (MST) (Tuesday Apr 3, 2:00am GMT) GENTREK:  Avoiding Genealogy Errors.  We often get excited about our projects and let our imagination run amok. This is particularly true when we find our first piece of solid information, such as your great-great-grandfather listed on an early census. However, without focus and preparation we might take a jackrabbit approach — hopping to and fro — wasting time, money, and rendering poor results.   Your Chat Hosts, Jayne McCormick and Dæ Powell.

Saturday, Apr 7, 8:00am (MST) (Saturday, Apr 7, 2:00pm GMT) EASTER WEEKEND.   Your Chat Host, The Lord of Hosts.

Monday, Apr 9, 8:00pm (MST) (Tuesday Apr 10, 2:00am GMT) GENTREK: Can I Give Up Now?  By Bill Hocutt.  --- I need a copy so I can extract a blurb ---  Your Chat Hosts, Jayne McCormick and Dæ Powell.

Saturday, Apr 14, 8:00am (MST) (Saturday, Apr 14, 2:00pm GMT) GENTREK: Clues Ancestors Left..  Perhaps they were unaware of it, but our ancestors sent messages to our time when naming their children. I suspect they did know it, in a way, but they wouldn't have stated the fact in exactly those words.  Your Chat Hosts, Jayne McCormick and Dæ Powell.

Monday, Apr 16, 8:00pm (MST) (Tuesday, Apr 17, 2:00am GMT) GENTREK: Confessions of a Genealogy Heretic.  The following was published in April, 1958, by the "Father of American Genealogy," the late Donald Lines Jacobus. Believing his ideas were far ahead of his time, I felt it appropriate to update it and have Jayne present it tonight. -- Happy Dæ.  Your Chat Hosts, Jayne McCormick and Dæ Powell.

Saturday, Apr 21, 8:00am (MST) (Saturday, Apr 21, 2:00pm GMT) GENTREK: Creative Newspaper Research.  The next time you research in a pre-1900 vintage newspaper, just close your eyes and turn to page two. That sounds like an impulsive and irresponsible statement, doesn’t it? However, the clues we're about to share will greatly facilitate your research efforts.  Your Chat Hosts, Jayne McCormick and Dæ Powell.

Monday, Apr 23, 8:00pm (MST) (Tuesday, Apr 24 2:00am GMT) GENTREK: Discovering the Google Toolbar.  The Google Toolbar has many benefits, but paramount among them is that you can use Google to search the Web from anywhere online.  No matter what site you're on, you won't need to go back to Google to perform a search.  Your Chat Hosts, Jayne McCormick and Dæ Powell.

Saturday, Apr 28, 8:00am (MST) (Saturday, Apr 28, 2:00pm GMT) GENTREK: Dissecting the GEDCOM.  The creation of the GEDCOM format, designed specifically to transfer genealogical data, was a "plain text" format that could be directly viewed and edited by human beings without the need for special software. The new format soon proved popular enough that nearly every genealogy program added the ability to import and export GEDCOM-format files. We'll show you how to read them in this session.  Your Chat Hosts, Jayne McCormick and Dæ Powell.

Monday, Apr 30, 8:00pm (MST) (Tuesday Apr 31, 2:00am GMT) GENTREK:  Evaluating the Evidence We Had Researched.  It has been almost 15 years (summer 1997) since the Board of Certification of Genealogists rejected the phrase, "preponderance of evidence," or POE, as a standard of proof. How do we prove a family relationship, if no record clearly contains the required information?  Your Chat Hosts, Jayne McCormick and Dæ Powell.

Views: 97

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service