FENITON is a neat, well-cared-for village, set in park-like country. Feniton Court, a Georgian house, was the birthplace of John Coleridge Patteson (1827-71), first missionary bishop of Melanesia, murdered by natives in 1871. His farther, Sir John Patteson, distinguished judge, died at Feniton, 1861.
The church (St. Andrew) is entirely 15th century work except the small N. transept. The fine 15th century rood-screen to naïve and S. aisle is of the Kentisbeare type, well proportioned and rich in detail, with its vaulting almost intact. The cornice is singularly rich. The S. parclose screen is also of beautiful design. In the chancel is a tomb with a striking and emaciated cadaver, probably that of one of the Malherbes (15th century). A few 16th century carved bench-ends survive, together with a number of modern ones of excellent design.
In Fenny Meadow, just N. of Fenny Bridge, the western rebels of 1549 were defeated by Russell's mercenaries. Curscombe Farm was a Domesday manor. Colesworthy is mentioned as early as 1219 and is probably of 12th century foundation.