Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Henry and Martha Haynes moved from England to Utah around 1880 help!

Hello, I am a new member to this site and hoping that someone can help me find some information.
On my mothers paternal line of the family...the Haynes / Haines I have found that Henry 1838-1914 born in Warmington 
and his wife Martha 1833-1914 moved from Bilston Wolverhampton England.
along with some if not all of their children to Nephi, Juab, Utah, USA. 

It seems such a massive leap to me for this family to make and I am wondering if anyone knows anything about them? 
As far as I know they would have been ordinary working class people... 
in the 1861 census Henry aged 28 was a labourer, so how did they manage financially etc to move all that way? and why did he move? 
Because of the Utah and Salt Lake City connection on many of their deaths 
I was also wondering if they became followers of the Mormon faith and subsequently moved for that reason 
(but this is just a guess as i really dont know )

the children that show a death in the USA names were: 

Noah Haynes 1855 - 1927 
Eliza Emma Haynes 1864 - 1920 
Hyrum 
Haynes 1869 - 1953 died in Las Vegas 
Agnes Haynes 1871 -1934 
Orson Haynes 1876 - 1909 
Edith Kirton Haynes 4 june 1883 -1969 
I also found it interesting that the last child had a middle name 
which is the same as her grandmothers maiden name! 

Edith was the last child as far as I can tell and 
the only one actually born outside of the Uk 
therefore I am guessing that they moved somewhere between 1876 an 1882? 

there are other brothers and sisters but I dont know if they too went to Utah as I dont have any death details for these people

I dont have any acess to any overseas records so cant trace them myself 
but I am surely intrigued and would love to know some more about this family 

hope someone can help? 
thank you 
Teresa

Views: 824

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This appears to be Edith:
Name: Edith Kelley
SSN: 529-28-1971
Last Residence: 84111 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States of America
Born: 4 Jun 1883
Died: Jan 1969
State (Year) SSN issued: Utah (Before 1951)

Source Citation: Number: 529-28-1971;Issue State: Utah;Issue Date: Before 1951.
I looked up Edith Kelley on FindAGrave, and found that she married twice, the first to a George Sidwell, the second to Henriod Kelley, here are Edith and George in 1900, they

1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Edith G Sidwell
Home in 1900: Nephi, Juab, Utah
Birth Date: Jun 1883
Birthplace: Utah
Race: White
Relationship to Head of House: Wife
Father's Birthplace: England
Mother's Birthplace: England
Mother: number of living children: 0
Mother: How many children: 0
Spouse's name: George
Marriage Year: 1900
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 0
Household Members:
Name Age
George Sidwell 21
Edith G Sidwell 16

Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Nephi, Juab, Utah; Roll T623_1683; Page: 18A; Enumeration District: 104. married about 1900.

They lived next door to Samuel Haynes, a few houses away from Henry, Martha and Orson. By 1910, Edith and George are no longer together, by 1920, George is divorced. (I haven't found Edith yet)
someone on chat two nights ago told me of a letter written to a newspaper asking the whereabouts of John Haynes

here is a copy of it....

Will you kindly find out for me if there is such a person by the name ofJohn Haynes living in salt lake city?
I am his niece and would liketo find out if he is still living. The last we heard of him was when hevisited england, his birth place, about eight years ago. He has a brother in Leamington, England, who also wishes to hear from him. I have enclosed a stamped envelope with my address (38 Madison Street New Haven, Connecticut care of Mrse. Neale)

So if you year any tidings of him will you kindly inform me and I shal be much abliged.Miss Martha HaynesP.S. - If you hear of him tell him I am his brother Henry's child.

the only john i have found is a Jonathan so any research you can find on him would be great

many thanks for this link you sent me
i am in the process of emailing the website owner to share information
you are a real star
many thanks xx
:) Do you know when the letter was written?
http://udn.lib.utah.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/deseretnews5&am...

think its the information wanted piece but just cant make it work for me
going to bed now as |i am travelling tomorow
will try and get on in the afternoon
Got it, it worked great :)
So Edith is quite an adventure, LOL :)

In 1910, she has been married 3 years to William Henriod, they have two children, which he claims as his but should be George Sidwells:

1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Edith Henriod
Age in 1910: 27
Estimated birth year: abt 1883
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Father's Birth Place: England
Mother's Birth Place: England
Spouse's name: William J
Home in 1910: Nephi, Juab, Utah
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
William J Henriod 39
Edith Henriod 27
George S Henriod 9
Clair Henriod 6

Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Nephi, Juab, Utah; Roll T624_1604; Page: 16B; Enumeration District: 59; Image: 216.

Here they are again in 1920:

1920 United States Federal Census
Name: Edith Kerriod
[Edith Kerriod??]
[Edith Henroid]
Home in 1920: Nephi, Juab, Utah
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Spouse's name: William J
Father's Birth Place: England
Mother's Birth Place: England
Sex: Female
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
William J Kerriod 49
Edith Kerriod 35
Sheldon Kerriod 19
Clara Kerriod 16
Lou Kerriod 8

Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Nephi, Juab, Utah; Roll T625_1863; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 20; Image: 375.
Just so you know, I'm seeing the 'fact' that Edith married a "Henriod Kelley" on Family Search, and on Find A Grave, and I have not been able to identify Henriod Kelley. I believe she married a William Henriod about 1904. He died(according to the Utah death information) in 1940. Its possible she married a Kelley after William Henriod died, but I think someone combined the two marriages many trees ago, and that 'bad' info has gotten loose on the internet. I will try to pin down her marriages and see what I come up with. :)
This appears to be Edith's son's obituary:

Obituary: Lou Henriod: Newspaper Obituary and Death Notice
Deseret News, The (Salt Lake City, UT) - May 22, 2002
Deceased Name: Obituary: Lou Henriod
Lou Henriod, age 91, was born in Nephi, Utah February 18, 1911, to William J. and Edith Haynes Henriod.

Lou passed away May 20, 2002 in Salt Lake City, Utah. Lou accomplished a lot in his 91 years. He had a very creative hand. He loved his art work, woodworking, fishing and hunting. Lou married Zola Blackham January of 1935 where they eloped after knowing each other for only two weeks. Their marriage was later solemnized in the LDS Temple. Lou enjoyed life, love, family, friends, but mostly he enjoyed being close to his sweetheart. For a living, he was a painting contractor for many years. He changed professions in 1954 when he went to work for the US Post Office, retiring in 1978. After retiring he and his sweetheart served a two year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) in Leeds, England. They also traveled extensively to many countries with friends and family.

He is survived by his beloved wife, Zola Blackham Henriod;, his only son, Gale Bruce Henriod and wife Carrie; 11 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren; a sister, Clara Jack. Preceded in death by his parents; his brother, Sheldon Henriod; his nephew, Donnell Henriod; his grandson, Michael Richard Baugh.

Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, May 24, 2002 in the Moroni, Utah Cemetery. Friends may call Thursday evening from 6-8 p.m. at Goff Mortuary, 8090 South State Midvale, Utah. Funeral Directors,

Anderson Funeral Home, Nephi, Utah.

Edition: All
Page: A17
Copyright (c) 2002 Deseret News Publishing Company
Also found Zola Henriod's obituary:

12/7/17 ~3/10/03

Zola Blackham Henriod, age 85, passed away in her home March 10, 2003.

She was born December 5, 1917 to Alfonzo Blackham and Helena Olsen Blackham in Moroni, Utah. She married Lou Henriod, January 22, 1935 in Nephi, Utah. Their marriage was later solemnized in the Manti Temple March 7, 1939. Her father died when she was very young, her mother married Peter P. Hansen who was a loving father to her and her sister and brother. Zola was one of the first women hired by the Salt Lake Police Department. She was hired as a Meter Reader and was sworn in as an official police officer on July 12, 1974; she retired August 1, 1974. She joined the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers in 1975 she held many positions, she was a member till her passing. Lou and Zola served a two year mission for the LDS church in Leeds, England in 1984. She loved to travel. Zola and Lou went to many places and countries with their family and friends. Zola's family was the center of her world Always. She will be greatly missed by all who love her.

She is survived by her son Gale Bruce Henriod his wife Carrie Henriod, 11 grandchildren, 14 great-grandchildren nieces and nephews and several cousins. She was preceded in death by her beloved husband Lou, her parents, her sister Rae Dennis Talbot, her brother Delice Blackham and one step-grandson Michael R Baugh.

Graveside services will held at 11 a.m. Saturday, March 15, 2003 in the Moroni City Cemetery. Friends may call Friday evening from 6- 8 p.m. at Goff Mortuary, 8090 South State Midvale, UT. Funeral Directors, Anderson Funeral Home, Nephi, UT.
Copyright C 2003 Deseret News Publishing Co.
Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning Company. All rights Reserved.

So it appears that there may be a lot of great grandchildren of Edith's still around :)
I finally found Edith, William and Lou Henriod in 1930, on the record it is definitely Henriod and William's mother lives right next door :):

1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Edith Henwood
Home in 1930: Nephi, Juab, Utah
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1883
Spouse's name: Will J
Household Members:
Name Age
Will J Henwood 59
Edith Henwood 47
Lon Henwood 19

Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Nephi, Juab, Utah; Roll 2416; Page: 11B; Enumeration District: 17; Image: 516.0.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service