Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Members of the Koliopoulos family were involved in resistance to the Ottoman Empire’s occupation of their homeland as early as 1802.

Our most famous ancestor, Dimitrios, Plapoutas Koliopoulos, played a very prominent role in the War for Independence. His brother Georgios, my direct line ancestor,  died in the battle of Lalas.

Please share any information you have about your family in the War for Independence or resources about families in the War for independence.

If you have any information about the Koliopoulos family, please contact me.

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I only remember my mother telling me that my grandfather, Vasilie Gurnas had to leave here in America to go back to Greece to fight.  He obviously did not have his citizenship yet.  I would like to research this further.

Connie Byers

Was that during the War for independence in 1821?
I do believe so.  He was born in the early 1890's and came to America just before the 1920's.  He was here, had to return for the war, and then came back.  My mother was born in 1924 in Des Moines.  I would like to find better info.  As I said, without her telling me, I would not have known this.   Do you know of the reasons for the resistance and why so many left for America during that time?
Maybe his father or family fought in the 1821 war, but if he was born in the 1890's. He might have went back to fight in Greece against the Italians and then Germans during World War II. They beat back the Italians, but could not stand against the Germans. But they fought a heroic resistance that delayed the Germans from invading Russia and made the Germans face the Russian winter. It gave the Russians a chance to build up, counter attack and defeat the Germans.
was that during WWI?  Mom said it was the Turkish war, and those Turks were mean.  That was what her comment was.  She told me that he told her they were mean to fight against.
The war with the Turks was the War for Independence in 1821 against the Ottoman Empire for the liberation of Greece. But the war was long over before 1890. If your family fought in the War for Independence in 1821, that family member would have been born befor the War started, but not in the 1890's. That is why I suggested that it was a much older family member. But a family member born in 1890, would have been too young for WWI, but old enough to be still in WWII.

You are correct.  I do not know Greek history well.  During this period:

1915-20: the Ottoman empire slaughters 500,000 Assyrians
1916-23: the Ottoman empire slaughters 350,000 Greek Pontians and 480,000 Anatolian Greeks

he returned.  My grandparents are from a region close to the Peleponesis (Vitina and Olymbia) and because I knew o fhis return, it must have been selective reading. 

I have conflicting information on my grandfather's emigration status which shows that in the early 1902 he would have been 27, which suggests I may not have the right Vasilie Gournas.  However, my work for genealogy is to try to get over seas to find his family and the correct dates for things.  So it is a work-in-progress.  The rest is just what my mother had given or told me. 

Question:  Are you famililar with the region and any of the residents there?

Emigration of Melpomeni Gurnas

Description: First Name: Melpomeni Last Name: Anagnostopoulou Ethnicity: Greece, Greek Last Place of Residence: Vitina, Greece Date of Arrival: Jul 02, 1922 Age at Arrival: 28y Gender: F Marital Status: S Ship of Travel: King Alexander Port of Departure: Patras Manifest Line Number: 0022
Remove
Description: First Name: Vasile Last Name: Gournas Ethnicity: Greek Last Place of Residence: Piraeus Date of Arrival: Apr 12, 1902 Age at Arrival: 27 Gender: M Marital Status: S Ship of Travel: Moltke Port of Departure: Boulogne-Sur-Mer Manifest Line Number: 0001 WE ARE NOT SURE OF THIS BUT THINK THIS IS THE CORRECT RECORD; the 1920 census lists him as 32 years old, single, and that he emigrated in 1914.
Vitina is in the Peloponnese. There were many battles in the Peloponnese during the War for Independence. Patras is in the Peloponnese. I suspect that some member of your family fought in the War for Independence or supported the war effort. One of my family's villages is Trypiti, also in tthe Peloponnese and also  in the part of the country that is relatively near to Olympia.

Do you have access to records?  I am trying to locate further information. 

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service