Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Eileen...Daniels/Varney challenge. Early Vermont/New YorkPosted by Eileen N. Bernier on July 28, 2009 at 5:29pm in Genealogist Connection

Eileen...Daniels/Varney challenge. Early Vermont/New YorkPosted by Eileen N. Bernier on July 28, 2009 at 5:29pm in Genealogist Connection
View Discussions
.Admin Options.Edit DiscussionClose Discussion Edit Your Tags Cancel
Delete Discussion..Looking for information on my 3rd great grandparents Obadiah Daniels/Mary Anne Varney. I believe they may have been from New Hampshire originally, but that is speculation on my part. I have very little information on them. Obadiah born perhaps mid 1700's. Mary Anne born perhaps 1800/1805. I believe Obadiah was quite a bit older than Mary Anne. They had eleven children; the first a daughter Sarah, born maybe Stockbridge, VT. about 1816; the last was a son, William, born Nov 30, 1844 in FT. Ann, NY. Two of the children, sisters, were my great great grandmothers. I know in 1830 they were admitted as members of the church at Middle Granville, NY. Atter the birth of the last child, Obadiah and Mary Anne seem to just disappear.
Any information on this family will be greatly appreciated. I have been caught in the same place on this family for several years. Thank you for any help. Tags: anne, county, daniels, mary, new, obadiah, varney, vermont, washington, york

Views: 612

Replies to This Discussion

Gene,
Just an update: I have contacted the Washington County newsletter that I belong to and asked for a lookup regarding the death of Obadiah. A reply has come back that he is not listed in the book by Mary Smith Jackson and Edward Jackson.
I also sent an email today to the Clarendon Town Clerk to see what information they may be able to help with, but, of course, being a holiday week-end, there won't be anyone there until tomorrow. I still have some more leads to follow, but wanted to update you on these anyway. I'm excited!!!
Eileen
Hi Gene,
Just an update for you. I sent an email to the Clarendon Town Clerk's office regarding a possible death record on Mary Ann (Varney, Daniels) Cummings. Just received a reply. They found it. I will be sending payment for it tomorrow and will update you more when it arrives. Now, if we could only find more on Obadiah. But, I owe all this to you. Thank you so much. More as I find new developments.
Eileen
I think getting a photo is a very real possiblility. I suspect that she may have been buried in a cemetery there in Clarendon. I don't know if you noticed or not, but there is a new person, Barb Giffin, who has become "a friend" on my page on Genealogywise. Barb and I have researched this family for several years and collaborated our efforts. And if Mary Anne IS buried in Clarendon, Barb lives in a city only about 3 miles from there. She has gotten other photos for me. Her paternal great grandfather and my paternal great grandfather were brothers. I can't tell you how excited I am to get this info.
Eileen
I sent you an email, Eileen. I thought that you should be the one to share the info.
Barb
Gene,
Barb went to the Town Clerk's office and got a copy of the death record for Mary Anne Cummings. Her date of death was 19 Oct 1877, Clarendon, VT. Cause of death bronchitis, kidney, liver difficulities ending with dropsy. She died at 76 yrs 1 mo. 4 da. From that I calculated a date of birth of 15 Sept 1801. The death records said she was born in Maine, but I am not at all sure if that is correct or not.
Clarendon, VT is about 3 miles outside of Rutland, VT. The only paper there that I know of is the Rutland Herald. I can check that for an obit. Barb tried for a burial notice, but they didn't go that far back. She checked Spafford Cemetery records to see if Mary Anne might have been buried there, but there was no listing for her. She checked that because there are several other members of that family buried there. She also checked Evergreen Cemetery because that is where William her son is buried. She isn't there either. I have sent another reqest for a lookup to Washington Co, NY newsletter to see if someone will look in the book previously mentioned to see if she is there. Will keep you posted
Eileen
Gene,
Thank you. Barb is going to look for an obit tomorrow seeing as how she lives right there. Earlier, I sent a letter to Granville Town Clerk for marriage record, but couldn't find a cost to obtain, so that will be tied up until I hear back from them. Mendon..hmmm..good thought. With all of us collaborating, we should find her. I also sent to the state of VT Archives for death certificate on the chance that there MIGHT be something different then on the town record. One never knows :)
Eileen
Hi again Gene,
Barb went to the library today and searched the entire month of October for an obit on Mary Anne...no luck. Someone at the historical center told her that in 1870's and 1880's that families had to pay to have obits put into the paper so that may be why there wasn't one. I tried to attach a copy of the death certificate for Mary Anne, but couldn't get it to go thru. I also heard today from the Stockbridge Town Clerks office. They had changed their email address so I guess that delayed things. Anyway, I have sent back to them to see if they can find anything on the family early 1800's.
In addition to that, I sent a letter to Washington Co Historian office requesting a search of their records of Obadiah and family.
Eileen

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service