Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Eileen...Daniels/Varney challenge. Early Vermont/New YorkPosted by Eileen N. Bernier on July 28, 2009 at 5:29pm in Genealogist Connection

Eileen...Daniels/Varney challenge. Early Vermont/New YorkPosted by Eileen N. Bernier on July 28, 2009 at 5:29pm in Genealogist Connection
View Discussions
.Admin Options.Edit DiscussionClose Discussion Edit Your Tags Cancel
Delete Discussion..Looking for information on my 3rd great grandparents Obadiah Daniels/Mary Anne Varney. I believe they may have been from New Hampshire originally, but that is speculation on my part. I have very little information on them. Obadiah born perhaps mid 1700's. Mary Anne born perhaps 1800/1805. I believe Obadiah was quite a bit older than Mary Anne. They had eleven children; the first a daughter Sarah, born maybe Stockbridge, VT. about 1816; the last was a son, William, born Nov 30, 1844 in FT. Ann, NY. Two of the children, sisters, were my great great grandmothers. I know in 1830 they were admitted as members of the church at Middle Granville, NY. Atter the birth of the last child, Obadiah and Mary Anne seem to just disappear.
Any information on this family will be greatly appreciated. I have been caught in the same place on this family for several years. Thank you for any help. Tags: anne, county, daniels, mary, new, obadiah, varney, vermont, washington, york

Views: 612

Replies to This Discussion

I guess I am still trying to figure out how this works so bear with me please. I do have some information that may help, but it didn't occur to me to post it. Sorry.
I agree with the 1880 census information you listed above. I had also found that census. However, I really am not sure about the 1870 census. I don't have that census. The age of Herman and Julia would be about right . The only child's name that is familiar is Mary F. and her age would also co-incide with the 1880 census.I do have a copy of a journal with some information in it. It is unclear whether this journal was written by Abigail Daniels Stark or whether she dictated it to someone else to write for her. It was however, found in her possessions when she died so I believe the information is probably correct. Re: Julia who married Herman Preston in parenthesis is the word "Mendon". I took that to mean that they lived in the town of Mendon. I see nothing else in the journal on Julia and I don't have any further information on her.
I will list what I have on each child seperately so as to hopefully keep things a little clearer.
In addition to what is listed above, I have 1870 census from Hebron, Washington County, NY showing Squire Morehouse age 43, male, white, farmer, value of real estate 1500 born NY; wife Amanda age 36, Female, white, keeping house, born NY; daughter Cornelia age 19, female, white, keeping house, born NY; son William age 17, male white, farmer, born NY; daughter Anne, age 14, female, white, born NY; daughter Mary age 5 female, white, born NY; son Dilbert, age 11, male white, born NY; and infant, (apparently unnamed at that time) one month, female, white.
1880 census: Hebron, Washington County,NY Squire Morehouse age 55, male, white, works on farm, NY, NY, NY; wife Amanda age 47, female white NY, VT, VT.
I also found 1900 census Granville, NY listing Jesse G. Sweet with wife Mary, and son Horton, and Amanda, age 66, born Jan, 1834. Because of the location, I thought this might be Herman and Julia's daughter, but it is speculation on my part at this time.
Aha!! I think you may be right. The census I had didn't show Amanda's last name (or I forgot to write it down). That makes more sense. Thanks for that info. Now if we could only dig Obadiah and Mary Anne up...I think you and I are the only ones working on this. Actually, a short while ago I saw a query on Ancestry.com where someone was looking for info on Obadiah Daniels/Mary Anne Varney. I sent an email, but it is another one of those with no response. (even though I offered to share any info that I have).
Hello Gene,
Last evening I tried to locate a library thru Worldcat.org, but the closest one was almost 350 miles away. A bit far for me to go I'm afraid....but, they had a chat line where you could ask a question. I left a message to see if the book "Cemetery Records of the Township of Fort Ann, Washington County, NY" was available thru interlibrary loan. My return reply was it is not. They did however, offer to do a lookup for me so I have sent in a request for them to do that. When I sent the request for the lookup (just a few minutes ago) I also requested that they check to see if they had "Every Name Master Index to Cemetery Records of Washington County, NY" and asked for a lookup in that also. Prices were very reasonable....so here's hoping they find something. I will keep you posted as soon as I hear anything. You have been a tremendous help with this and I really appreciate that. Thank you...thank you...thank you
Eileen
Well, that didn't work out. I received a reply telling me I could make a request thru a certain web address which they supplied. I sent there but my email was returned. I next went back to the site I was at last night and did a live chat with a librarian at St. Louis County Library. They have one of the books. But, she told me I had to contact their Special Collections Department. She gave me the number, but before I call them, I decided to send a note to the Washington County list that I belong to and see if anyone there has access to either of the books and would be willing to do a lookup for me. If I don't get anywhere with that, I will call the Special Collections Department.
I also emailed the Pittsfield Town Clerk that you had mentioned before and that email was also returned. Maybe tomorrow will bring better results. Keep you posted. Don't get too excited yet. :)
Eileen
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I put a query in on the Washington County list that I subscribe to. It is thru Rootsweb. In case you don't follow that, I received a reply today. There is no Daniels or Varney listed in the book "Cemetery Records of the Township of Ft. Ann, Washington, NY".
Another person responded regarding the book " Every Name Master Index of Cemetery Records of Washington County, NY". She didn't know there was such a book and wondered if it could be purchased. I told her i had just been told about it and didn't know if it was available for sale or not. So, I can pretty well figure that they weren't in FT Ann. But that still leaves a lot of Washington County to pursue. Good things come to those who wait....well, I've been waiting a long time, so it should be great. :)
Eileen
I only found Obadiah in the earlier census. I will check the 1865 census though. I didn't even know about that. Thanks. Eileen
Levi is a brother of Allen...actually he is half brother. Allen' mother was Lucy Rowe. She died and his father Moses married Editha Sargent. Editha is mother of Levi and four others. I have been into the web site on the Blanchards and have been in contact with the gentleman that put the info on line.
I've not seen this information before on Sylvester. I'm not sure where he fits into the family, but is probably related somehow. I noted a reference to Elias Keyes Blanchard and that is a half brother to my Allen Blanchard. Elias' mother was Editha Sargent.
Oops...Emily Jane Daniels and Allen John Blanchard were my great great grandparents..how did I miss them. I have a couple of things to add and or change however. Allen was born 27 Dec 1819. This was calculated by the age on his death certificate which I have. He died Stockbridge, Windsor, VT 29 June, 1893 from consumption. Emily (also went by Jane) died 13 Aug 1892 from disease of the spine in Stockbridge, Windsor, Vt. I didn't find them in the 1870 census anyplace.
Children: Mary married Truman Hagar 22 Jul 1861; Louisa Amelia married Lewellen Stratton 26 Feb 1872; Lucy married Eseph Merriam 20 Nov 1870; Isaac married Ellen Coburn 02 Dec 1881; Ida Amanda married Charles E. Pitts 19 June 1877. Ida and Charles are my great grandparents.
I have copy of court papers on guardianship of Louisa Amelia.
I have two sets of great great grandparents from the Daniels family. Eliza Ann married George Nelson Pitts and Emily Jane married Allen Blanchard. Eliza and George's son Charles married daughter of Emily and Allen. Yes, they were cousins.
Hi Gene,
Haven't been online for a couple of days so now I have to play catch-up. In answer to your questions. The info on Geo. Jr - Civil War is correct. I have not located census on either George Sr. or George Jr for 1850 and no census on Geo. Jr for 1860. I have pretty much all others on most of the children to current census 1930.
You are a genius!!. Are you a professional genealogist? If not, maybe you should be. It certainly appears that you have traced my Mary Ann. You know about sources that I never even heard of. I will follow up on trying to verify these records.
Interesting to note: In the 1850 census, the only child with Mary Ann is William. Julia would have been about 16 and could have been out of the household; Caroline only about 13; and Maria only about 10. I wonder where these children were...I did some checking but didn't find them with any of the older brothers or sisters.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service