Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

1610 immigrant John Cha(u)ndler, servant of Ensign Thomas Willoughby

Although my ancestry is English, I have a kinship DNA match with the American descendants of 1610 immigrant John Cha(u)ndler (meaning we have a common ancestor in England probably in the early 1500s), so I was very interested in Gary Smith's posting stating that "the iconic Capt. John Smith's family had rented farmland from the Willoughby family in Lincolnshire, near the village of Willoughby, where he was born brought up".  I didn't know that.  Gary, can you advise the source of that information?   We have been struggling for years to locate John's English origins, and understand why he was allowed to travel on the Hercules to Virginia at the age of nine when Thomas de la Warr had decreed "no women or children".  For that matter, I think Thomas Willoughby was the same age as John, so there is another child on the Hercules.  Could John Smith's tenancy of Willoughby land have influenced the decision to allow Thomas and John to travel on the Hercules? (this would imply John Chandler was known to the Willoughbys in England).  Smith was back in England in October 1609, six months before the Hercules sailed, and remained there, so he could have influenced the passender list.  However, I think Thomas Willoughby was of the Kent Willoughbys, not the Lincolnshire family, so the Smith connection may not be relevant.  Any comments?

Dick Chandler

Views: 61

Reply to This

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service