Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Charles Hansen
  • Male
  • Spokane, WA
  • United States
Share on Facebook MySpace
  • Blog Posts
  • Discussions
  • Events
  • Groups (2)
  • Photos
  • Photo Albums
  • Videos

Charles Hansen's Friends

  • Thomas MacEntee
  • Miriam Robbins Midkiff
  • Randy Seaver


Jury Duty

 This heatwave we are having makes me remember the first time I was on a jury in 1973. I was supposed to come the first two weeks of July, but that is a real busy time at work and so I filled out the jury questionnaire and figured I would not be called. A couple of weeks later I got a phone call from someone at the courthouse asking if there was a time when I was not so busy, and I said yes August is a slow month at work, so she said pick two weeks to come for jury duty. I picked the first two weeks of August, bad choice I found out later.

First Monday in August at 8 am the jury orientation began in a huge courtroom, one of the superior court judges welcomed us and talked a little, before we watched a 16mm film of Raymond Burr telling why juries are so important, and what was going to happen while we were on jury duty. One part I remember was his section on proper clothing, because we were in a courthouse and should dress accordingly. That dress code took a beating by the last day we were in court.

Then we went to the jury waiting room, and every so often a bailiff came in and read of a list of names and they marched out to a courtroom. I finally got called about 10:30 and we went to the third floor and sat in the hall while the bailiff came out every few minutes saying they were not quite ready for us yet. Half an hour later the bailiff came out and said the defendant pleaded and we were not needed so back to the jury waiting room, just in time for the lunch break. After lunch on our own back waiting for another jury call. Somewhere after 4, I was called again, and we got right in the courtroom, stayed for the jury selection and did not get picked on that jury. We were so late getting done that we did not have to call in for Tuesday. Wednesday our group was to come to the fourth floor of the courthouse and be ready for jury selection at 1 pm. It was 90 that day and the courthouse did not have any air conditioning then. The courtroom was on the north side of the fourth floor, so not real hot, but there were a lot of perspective jurors. I was juror number 48 of 50. Well I made that jury, and we were to be on the fourth floor on Thursday at 9 am, not sure which courtroom, or which judge but be here at 9 am.

Because of the hot courthouse and no air conditioning most of the Superior Court judges would take their vacations in August, so we had Judge Phillip Thompson a pro tem judge. Criminal cases had to be prosecuted within I think it was 60 days, so we had a pro tem judge, and was in a small courtroom on the fourth floor. It was the only courtroom being used on the fourth floor so they left the hall door open and all the windows on the north side created a nice chimney effect as the warm air rose from below and out the windows in our courtroom.

The trial was a third degree rape trial where the defendant had been charged with drugging the girl at a bar and taking her to her home and trying to rape her. Two other witnesses also said the defendant had done the same thing with them. Each day it got a little bit warmer.

Notice I said we were to be there by 9 am, well we had 11 jurors by 9 am and a very nervous bailiff kept checking to see if number 12 had arrived yet. The bailiff was a student from our local law school, and a great summer job for a law student. Turned out we did not get in the courtroom till 10 am anyway, so the late juror did not make any difference. Listened to witnesses all day Thursday and Friday except for big breaks and a two hour lunch on our own. Friday at 9 we had 11 jurors and a nervous bailiff again, but number 12 showed up long before we got in the courtroom. Dress code was getting a beating as everyone dressed to keep cool. Finished all the witnesses Friday afternoon, and only the defendant was to testify on Monday, so back at 9 on Monday. Each day was getting a little warmer so by Monday it was about 95 outside, and probably about the same in the courthouse.

Monday at 9 am, 11 jurors, but we did not get in the courtroom till 10 again. Found out later the lawyers were arguing every morning over the trial, so we sat in the jury room waiting. The jury room had one vent fan in the ceiling near one end of the room, and they allowed smoking in the jury rooms then. We had 6 smokers on the jury and sat them under the vent fan.

Listened to the defendant, had a recess, then the lawyers summations, and the judges instructions and was in the jury room when the bailiff came in and said before we started deliberating we could either have sandwiches brought in or could walk over to the Black Angus Restaurant a few blocks from the courthouse. A quick 12 votes for the Black Angus. We had to stay together so use the restrooms in the jury room. Then we walked over to the Black Angus. We sat in the back away from the river view, and they gave us a courthouse menu. We ate and back to the courthouse. Deliberated for a couple of hours before we came to a verdict, and when they opened the doors of the jury room it felt cold in the hallway of the courthouse, which should have been in the 90s. Took them a while to get everyone back in the courtroom, and so there we sat in the jury room. Not sure how hot that jury room was, but very little air movement with the doors closed.

Back in the courtroom and we announced our guilty verdict, the judge thanked us, and we left. The rest of August was close to normal so picking the first two weeks I hit the hottest days. A few days later a small article in our newspaper said the defendant got 30 days in jail, and had already spent 20 some days so we spent almost as much time in the jury room as he had left to serve.

Four more times I got called on jury duty, served on three more juries, but was never picked to serve on a jury on a Monday, always later in the first week.

Happy Thanksgiving

I want to wish all my friends Happy Thanksgiving, don't eat too much.
 Thanksgiving postcard from my aunt Carrie Hansen to my grandmother Anna Hansen in 1915. Carrie was in Minnesota going to college.

Saturday Night Genealogical Fun

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun! 

Here is your assignment, should you decide to accept it (you ARE reading this, so I assume that you really want to play along - cue the Mission Impossible music!):

1) Think about your most memorable Hallowe'en - was it when you were a child (candy, games, carnivals), a teenager (tricks and treats), or an adult (perhaps a party)?

2) Tell us about it in your own blog post

Don't have a clue what years this happened but we had a neighbor Mrs. Evans, which I called Mrs. Heavens. She made the best popcorn balls you have ever tasted, so every year we made sure we stopped at the Evans house on Halloween. Too bad that stopped when people put needles and other bad stuff in homemade treats. The kids of today will never know the great homemade treats we got.

Easter Greetings

This is two postcards from my dad's aunt Allie (Alice Costello DeRemer Hansen), wife of Peter Hansen to my grandmother Anna (Dillingham) Hansen wife of Anton Hansen. Peter was a brother of Anton. The first one is postmarked April 11, 1914 and the picture is very fancy and the card is shiny. 
 Front of card
  The second card is much more plain and is postmarked March 24 1921. Early postcards like the one above probably came from Germany, but due to WWI they stopped exporting postcards to the US.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun

Wow  this is the first blog post I have done this year, been pretty busy at a lot of neighborhood meetings.

1)  Show us one of your favorite photographs of your family - a group, yourself, your mom, your dad, your sibling(s), your grandparents, etc.  Tell us about it - the date, the event, the setting, the persons in the photograph.

2)  Share it on your own blog

 Well we found this photo in some pf pops old photos, my sister took it to a local photography shop to get some duplicates, and at the time we added the names of the people in the photo and the date. It was taken in the front yard of my parents house at 1641 E Queen that they had bought just before they got married. My dad's parents are in front, my mom's parents in the back left, and my uncle Leigh right next to my dad and mom.

Gifts Received


Charles Hansen has not received any gifts yet

Give a Gift


Charles Hansen's Page

Profile Information

What surnames are you interested in researching?
What countries and other locations are you interested in researching?
New England
What is your level of genealogy knowledge?
Advanced Family History Researcher
If you are a genealogy expert, what are your specialties?
Spokane Washington Research
Do you have a genealogy website or blog or belong to a Genealogy Society?

Comment Wall (5 comments)

You need to be a member of Genealogy Wise to add comments!

Join Genealogy Wise

At 11:34pm on May 11, 2010, Morgan Emilsson said…
Thank you! I will try to get some more information.
At 2:04pm on May 11, 2010, Charles Hansen said…
Charles Libby was probably the most famous Spokane photographer, the Eastern Washington Historical Society has most of his collection. Bells was probably a phone company, but none of the Arthur Nelsons was working for the phone company in 1929.
At 11:58am on May 11, 2010, Morgan Emilsson said…
The big photo is taken at Chas A Libby, Granite Blk Spokane. Is he a wellknown photogafer in Spokane? I think it is Arthur Olson and he was an engeneer at Bells Company. Was there a Bells Company in Spokane at that time (1930--)? Arthur had a brother, Harold or Herald, and he was born in NY 1909. In 1930 Census Gustaf,Anna, Arthur and Harold lived in Brooklyn NY. I´m sorry I don´t have more information at this time. If you look on My page there are some more photos.
At 2:10pm on May 10, 2010, Charles Hansen said…
I checked the 1929 Spokane City Directory and it lists 2 Arthur Olsons and one Harold Olson, and three Harry Olsons, no wives on any of them, so can you give me more information to narrow in on the correct one?
At 11:29am on May 10, 2010, Morgan Emilsson said…
Hello Charles Hansen
I am Morgan and I´m from Sweden . I have a problem with one of my ancester who I think maybe lived in Spokane in the 1930th. His name was Arthur Olson or maybe Harold Olson and was an engineer at Bells company in NY as he moved to Spokane. He was born 1904 in NY and his parents was Gustaf and Anna Olson. I have 2 photos of him in Spokane. Do you think you can help me finding him and maybe what´s happen him in Spokane.



© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service