Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Start by telling us about yourself, your family history, your genealogy interests, and the current focus of your genealogy research.

Views: 17596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello!

Just discovered this site while browsing the Shoestring Genealogy site.

I normally don't go in for "social" networking, but this site seems to have an actual purpose besides self-aggrandizement.

I've been "doing genealogy" for about five years now and am hopelessly addicted.

I am working on not only my own families, but my wife's and a few "honorary" relatives.

My paternal families are mainly Zupanc (shortened to Zupan in the US) and Mandelc from Slovenia, then to Cleveland, Ohio.

The maternal side is from southeast Ohio, Lendon (originally Lindon, probably from Belfast) in Belmont Co., and Urwin (Durham, England) from Gallia Co.

The wife and others include Lawkowitz from Erie, PA and various Silverman, Milch, Greenspan and Goldstein (among others) from the New York City area and ultimately Poland/Hungary/Galicia or whatever country it was that month.

Always happy to make new friends.

what the natives know.... victori
It never rains in Southern California says the lyrics of the Hammond and Hazelwood song. I wonder then, where are they when the barometric pressure drops, and the clouds froth over a sullen shade of gray, and the drink pours onto our heads like the brew after an NBA coach's victory. When the natives skin, which appeared supple in sun turns hard, their character cold, their patience precipitous, and their anger builds like a coming storm. When it appears that even unemployment benefits are outsourced and the employed become modern slaves afraid to leave the plantation for fear of the unknown free world. When by quitting time those tongues usually dressed in the prose, "May I help you?" has slipped off those polite clothes and slipped into jackets fitted for rain and the profane commute home. It's what the natives know.
OH! It rains in Southern California. When it does, the road seems to stand between you and clocking in on time, before the powers-that-be act on the threat of fired next time. When it rains a slippery skin seems to permeate the gravel pavement. Surfaces repel water, and empty into the pockets of declining hills, which cause rushing cars to spin out. Leave an hour early or end up in a ditch by the side of a road. It's what the natives know.
I am a native of this State of mine, born and bred fifth generation from slavery as deep south as I will ever get. Daughter of a Southern Carolinian mother and Lincoln Nebraskan reared dad whose paternal roots were transplanted from Louisiana into the major cities of the North. And while it should not matter I am black the product of both slave and free folk an admixture of African, European, and Indigenous ancestry, my ancestors have a long history upon these shores. So they taught me well to heed that rumble in the distance, to watch the clouds in the natives eyes turn from blue to gray, and their true colors curve like a rainbow in a cloud. Do not be fooled by the pleasant present, sniff the air, and if the smell of fresh clay greets your nose, and your neighbor is driving his convertible with the hood up and the forecast of his face looks grim, so he doesn't wave as he passes by, grab your umbrella at the door. No it nevers rains in Southern California, it pours, and that's what the natives know...
My suggestion if I may, is to try contacting cousin matches. If you have tested with either 23 and me or FT DNA you will have a list of cousins in your population finder on Family Tree DNA or in your Relative Finder in 23 and Me. A lot of them like myself are willing to help you. The ones who aren't will just decline your invitation. I hope this helps I am an L haplogroup myself and am also related to many H haplogroups much of my genetic background came from Northern Europe. 23 and me offers an autosomal test that shows a persons ancestry on both sides and all lines in between. Unlike, performing a single Y-DNA test or a single MT-DNA test which only tells a persons direct paternal heritage or direct maternal heritage. For example Y-DNA only traces your father's father's father .Try contacting cousin matches hope this helps.
Okay I will look you up. But also try this
Go to 23 and me and log in
Scroll down the left side of page to find the subheading in blue labeled "My Ancestry".
Located under that subheading in black find the "Relative Finder" click on it.
It will open to a page that will provide you with cousin matches.

I will explain more later.

Hi Lothar,

If you can send the marriage certificates to me, I can try to translate. I am a Danish Genealogist.

BR

Michael

www.slaegtenshistorie.dk 

Lothar if I was you I would look up your family on Google and familysearch.org. both are free but you might need as username and password for familysearch.org.

You might also see if anyone on the social networks like facebook have the names you are looking for.

All the very best

Kathleen

Hello All! I’ve been doing genealogy research since 1987, on and off. The last five years I’ve become very focused and having been tracing my family heritage back in Poland.  Genealogy at this point isn’t a past-time, it’s an obsession.

My pesky day job in Information technology keeps me busy (IT Manager) yet with my background, it has made genealogy second nature to me. They are very similar. I’m currently in the process of taking online classes to become a certified genealogist.

A few months ago I created a database and input every entry I could find from Ellis Island that was similar to that of my immigrant grandparents. Those names are Glowniak, Hasinski, Mierzwa, Makowski and Jaworski. Now when I get a lead, I have all that family information broken down for fast searching.

I live in western new york and would gladly help anyone who needs research done in this area. I’ve also worked with a few great genealogist in Poland who I would highly recommended. Next year I am planning on visiting there to visit the areas my grandparents came from.

If you need help looking for something, let me know, I’d be glad to help.
Best Regards,
Mike

Hi, my name is Keshea Wilson. I live in Little Rock, Arkansas. Im a beginner at this. I recently found out my grandfather was adopted out of Louisiana. Since then I have been trying to find out information on his birth and adopted family. Im researching the Zenon and Bonhomme families. If anyone have any information or tips for me it will be greatly appreciated. I have found a little information on ancestry and people search.

I'm looking into a dead end that my father ran into in his research into the Barrett family tree.  He did extensive research on hundreds of ancestors going back to the 1500s in England and Europe, but has been unable to trace George Allen Barrett back beyond his move from South Carolina to Posey Co. IN in about 1809.  He married Ruth Rutherford of Newberry Co. SC, daughter of Joseph Rutherford and Elizabeth (Jones) Pope.

Hi! My name is Itt Andersson and I live in Sweden. I´m searching for my relatives. My grandmothers sisters name was Greta Linnea Andersson.  She arrived to New York 14.1 1926 with the ship "Gripsholm". She married a swedish man called Hans F Holmberg, born 1909 in Sweden. She was born 4.10 1908 in Örgryte, Sweden. They lived in Brockton, Plymouth, Massachusetts. (1930 United States Federal Census). She died in 1943. They had a son, Richard Holmberg, born 28.2 1930. He died 5.2 2003 in Pinehurst, Moore, North Carolina (North Carolina Death Collection, 1908-2004 and Social Security Death Index). As it has been told to me, he was married to a woman named Nancy (from Italy) and they had two children, a boy and a girl. Can anyone here help me to find the boy and girl who are children of Richard? If you want to find some relatives in Sweden or want some one to search for you in the church records: www.arorum.genealogi.se

Itt Andersson Sweden

Itt you might want to check familysearch.org, its free, and you might also want to look on Google. And check on social sties for anyone with the surname you are looking for to see if your related.

Hi Kathleen.

Thank you very much for your reply and your help. I found out (by familysearch), that Richard Holmberg was married (5th or 8th Oct 1949) to a woman called Nancy Jane Gentile. Her parents were Antonio Gentile and Josephine Licenshella. They married in Susquenna in Pennsylvania (Pennsylvania, Coutry Marriages, 1885-1950). But I still haven´t found what I´m looking for (lovely song :), the name of their children. Is there anywhery else except from this site where I can make a call (I don´t know if thats the right word) to find them?.

Have a nice weekend.

Itt

RSS

Members

Badge

Loading…

© 2021   Created by Nat Ins for Genealogical Studies.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service