Starting July 30th, we are introducing GenWise Chats. These hour-long, educational chats will cover various topics and will feature genealogists from all walks of life sharing what they are passionate about…genealogy.GenWise Chats will feature topics such as Using Google for your Genealogy, Beginning Genealogy, Using GenealogyWise, Orphan Trains, Technology, Research Notebooks and Verifying Online Sources and much more. The chats will be a combination of presentation and question and answer period.
Look for each week’s schedule of chats to be posted on the GW site. You can find the chat schedule on the menu under "Chat". GenWise Chats has its own group on GW at http://www.genealogywise.com/group/genwisechats. If you would like to host a chat, please contact Gena at email@example.com.
GenWise Chat Guidelines
The Chat Room on GenealogyWise is basic and provides no options for seeing who is in the Chat Room at any given time. Because of this, we have set up some guidelines to make the process easier.
- During scheduled Chats, please refrain from conducting personal chats.
- Although you can enter the Chat at anytime, it would be great if you could enter 10 minutes prior to the scheduled chat so that the host can get an idea of how many members will be participating.
- Upon entering the chat room, please introduce yourself so that the Host knows how many people are participating. You can do this by just typing ‘Hi’ or introducing yourself.
- While the Host is presenting, please refrain from typing in any comments or questions, unless the hosts asks for that feedback. The Host will provide time at the end of the presentation for participant questions or comments. Each Host will present their topic differently, but in general there will be 15-30 minutes of presentation, followed by a question and answer period.
- Always treat others courteously, even if you disagree. We can disagree without being disagreeable.
- Lurking is allowed. You are not required to participate in the discussions.
- Some Chat Hosts will provide a written handout. In those cases, participants will be given instructions prior to the Chat.
- If you have any questions about the Chats, please contact Gena Philibert Ortega at firstname.lastname@example.org