Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

I have an ancestor who was 'court martialed' during the Civil War according to his service records cards. The end result was a reduction in rank from coporal to private. He was discharged at the end of the war with the rest of his unit. Some years later his descendants filed for a pension, but it appears as if they were denied. I would like to know if or where I would be able to get court martial records for CW soldiers who served in the Union Army. Is this even a resource open to descendants?

Views: 195

Replies to This Discussion

There is an article at NARA about court martial records that may assist.
I found my ggg grandfather's court martial transcript file indexed at NARA. Instead of e-mailing, I called the Archive phone # for the division that held the records in which I was interested. After speaking with an excellent contact there, I was able to get the file. Even better ...they sent it to me at no cost.
Hey that's awesome Katie. Thanks for the tip!
What was his name and where was his regiment from?



© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service