Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Dear Friends,

My great-great grandfather Gustaf Adolphus Jacobsson emigrated to the U.S. (Wisconsin, via Galesburg, IL) in 1869 at age 23.  The only information I have from Sweden is he was born in 1846.  We had not information on his parish, but I was able to retrieve a few ship passenger lists which: 

(1) in one case denotes his parish (and 2 others) as "Tramaldna".   I guess there's a chance the spelling was misinterpreted, becasue it doesn't seem to exist from Google searches.  Or perhapst the parish burned down?

OR

(2) There are 2 other passenger list records I pasted to a MS Word document that indicate he was from "Asby, Ostergotland".

Regardless, I am desparatey trying to determine his exact birth place, and names and birth/death of parents and siblings. 

Can anyone help????

Thanks so much.

Ron

Views: 407

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

In your case (1) and your PDF file, my best read is     Trävattna.

There is a Trävattna parish in Skaraborgs län.   Just to get a little technical, a parish is a geographic area and will not burn but a parish church could burn but the parish would remain. A new church would be built (but the records may be destroyed). Trävattna seems to be alive and well. 

In your case (2) you have two transcriptions at the bottom. The second item (bottom) seems to be the same as in case (1) and I vote for Trävattna. The entry above it is obviously a different man. You will have to solve that problem.

The more important question is how can you be sure this is your Gustaf? Do you know anything about his siblings and parents so you can prove it is him when you find the HFL records (husförlörslängd)? 

Do you have a naturalization document that may show more information about him and his family? 

Do you have an actual birth date?  Without the date, you will have to search all of the births in the parish. In a small parish, not a big deal... in a big parish it can be time consuming. 

I got a list of Skaraborg parishes by going to FamilySearch, clicking on the Learn tab, clicking on the Research Wiki and then typing in Skaraborg county. Note that virtually every parish in Sweden has an entry in the wiki to give you details (if a contributor has written much).

By the way I use ArkivDigital to access Swedish church records for births, marriages, deaths and  -family surveys-. It is a subscription service but FamilySearch Family History Centers have a library subscription which you can use in the library. I like their document images because they are direct digital scans in COLOR. That really helps me read old documents.It also has a very friendly user interface.

Gustaf Adolf Jacobsson (b.May 1846) went through Chicago, then settled just north in Wisconsin.  Yes, Johanna appears to be his sister, another good trail back to Sweden.  Linkoping is also what my father confirmed.  So it's not the Adolf that went to St. Paul.

The other confusing thing on that record is it lists "Asby" , "Linkoping" . . . there is no Asby in Linkoping, so what does this mean? 

Lastly, I did find one other record of a Gustaf Adolf Jacobsson born in Bestorp, close to Linkoping.

I think we have the right one, now if I can get a father and mother.  I have no trail at this point.

Thanks for the help, this is really exciting !

The CD Emibas isn't complete, that means your Gustaf Jacobson doesn't have to be one of the two you found.

Jacobson is that the surname he had in US? Do you know if he emigrated with that name? It's quite common that  the emigrant change is name. Jacobson could be his patronymicon or his father's patronymicon. The dates are always unsure, have seen that it's not uncommon that the birthyears have changed, mostly that they become one or two year younger then they are.

The one from Trävattna of those you think is your ancestor had bought  his ticket to St Paul in Minnesota, so is he really your ancestor or did  this one travelled elsewhere?

The other one who emigrated from Asby didn't travelled alone according to the CD Emigranten Populär. On the same ticket it was a Johanna Jacobsson age 20, probably  a sister. They both emigrated to Chicago, IL.

/Annelie

Gustaf Adolf Jacobsson (b.May 1846) went through Chicago, then settled just north in Wisconsin.  Yes, Johanna appears to be his sister, another good trail back to Sweden.  Linkoping is also what my father confirmed.  So it's not the Adolf that went to St. Paul.

The other confusing thing on that record is it lists "Asby" , "Linkoping" . . . there is no Asby in Linkoping, so what does this mean? 

Lastly, I did find one other record of a Gustaf Adolf Jacobsson born in Bestorp, close to Linkoping.

I think we have the right one, now if I can get a father and mother.  I have no trail at this point.

Thanks for the help, this is really exciting !

Attachments:

Se the pictures.

/Annelie

Attachments:

Thanks so much, where did you find that?  Is that a Birth Certificate?  Are his parents names and ages on there?  I can't read Swedish, but I have some local friends that are Swedish that could help.  I'll fwd to them unless you can help me decipher. 

Warm Regards,

Ron

Dear Annelie,

I've loaded up the whole family per those wonderful records.  What is tricky is the last names.  For instance, I seem to have found an exact birth date and U.S. sibling location match for Johan Petter (son of Jacob Perrson..or ..Pettersson (another inconsistent last name)), but his last name is listed as "Malmstrom".  Is this surname a possible derivative of the parents Jacob Pettersson and Maja Stina Larsdotter?  See attachment.

Secondly, can you please inform what type of record this is?  And what does "Torpa,"  "Lund", and "Sarskildte Anteckningar" mean?

Finally, there are two daughters, Hedda Maria and Stina Carolina.  Intuitive they would not be a Petters "son", right?  What would be a typical derivative last name for these two?

No hurry and thanks so much.

Attachments:

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service