Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

It just amazes me sometimes when I read the laws these people lived under. Here's one that anyone with rebellious teenagers might be interested in. Just tell them they should be glad they didn't live in Plymouth Colony!

"If a Man have a Stubborn or Rebellious Son, of sufficient years and understanding (viz.) sixteen years of age, which shall not obey the voice of his Father, or the voice of his Mother, and that when they have chastened him, will not harken unto them; then shall his Father and Mother, being his natural parents, lay hold on him, and bring him before the Magistrates assembled in Court, and testifie unto them, that their Son is Stubborn and Rebellious, and will not obey their voice and chastisement, but lives in sundry notorious crimes; such a Son shall be put to Death, or otherwise severely punished."

I mean come on, what parent is going to haul their child into court to possibly be put to death! I'll bet they smugly thought they had no problem with unruly kids.

Is anyone aware in their researches of an instance where this actually happened, or where the kid was punished in some other way?

Views: 228

Replies to This Discussion

No..but did they do anything to the Billington son for almost blowing up the Mayflower??
No I don't think they did. But I wouldn't day that was being rebellious, just being kids.
Nothing as harsh as the death penalty for rebellious teens, but I found out that my ancestor John Milk was the cowherd,swineherd,chimney sweep and TOWN WHIPPER for Salem,Massachusetts! Wow!
Gee, my ancestor William Witter of Lynne, Mass. had to appear in Salem in 1651 for being a Baptist. Seeing as how he was elderly, they let him off with a public confession. I am glad my ancestor didn't meet up with yours...
This law is simply a direct adaptation of an injunction in the Bible (Deuteronomy 21:18-21). It differs slightly; for instance, the Bible says the penalty shall be that "all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service