Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Hi Everyone.  I am new to the group and have a brickwall that I am up against.  I need to find the parents and or siblings of my paternal gggrandfather, Lowell V. Starbird 1818-1858 in Otisfield, Maine.  I have the info on his wife and children, but nothing on the others.  I cannot advance up my tree without the other information.  Any replies gratefully accepted.  Ada

Views: 277

Replies to This Discussion

Ada,
In New England almost all vital records are kept in the village, town or city by the town or city clerk. Small towns are usually accommodating in sending you the answer in an email or by giving you the material over the phone. If you should want a certified copy there is a charge.
Here is the Otisfield, Cumberland County, Maine Town Clerk's address and telephone number. If you have no luck with this, let me know and I will try to look it up at the Portland City Library.

Town Clerk
Contact
SHARON MATTHEWS, (207) 539-2664
Address:
403 STATE ROUTE 121, OTISFIELD, ME 04270-6274
Phone:
207-539-2664
Fax:
207 539-2246
Alternate Phone:
207 539-9101

Hours:
MONDAY, THURSDAY, FRIDAY 9-NOON, 1-5PM
TUESDAY 5-8PM

Additional Links:
Dog Licenses
Motor Vehicle Registration
Marriage Licenses
Vital Records
Passport Services Information
Voting Information
Vintage Map
Good Morning, Carroll
I just wanted to thank you for the info you sent me on Maine records. I will write to Otisfield to see if they have anything on Lowell. Someone had emailed me awhile back that he may have been caught up during the Pejebscot War. Guess I will have to learn some Maine history. Thanks again, Ada
Hi Ada,

You don't even have to write. You can call them and they will very likely look it up. If they have some information the clerk will usually copy it for a small fee and mail it to you. Do you have his wife Sarah Green's ancestry?
Hi Carroll,
Yes I have Sarah Green's ancestry as well as their marriage intentions and the info on all of their children. I judt can't seem to find anything at all on Lowell's parentage. It would also be nice to know where he and Sarah are buried. I do know that Sarah left Maine with sons, James and John in the late 1880's She married a Thomas Bell, who was quite a bit old than her, after Lowell died. Thomas was from MA. The sons went to work in the shoe industry in Lynn, MA. That's incidentally, where I am now. They are in the Lynn City Directories. James and John Starbird both died here in Lynn and are buried @ Pine Grove Cemetery, but nothing about Sarah. I am assuming that maybe one of her other children brought her back to Maine before she died and buried her there. I guess I have my work cut out for me. Ada
Interesting thing I found out that I didn't know- East Otisfield is in Cumberland County, Otisfield is in Oxford County. They are next to each other.
The only Starbird I found in any Otisfield Cemetery is this:
Graveyard Inscriptions Cedarcrest Cemetery Route 121, Otisfield, Maine
Section I, South Part
112. Jane Starbird, dau. of Lowett[?] and Sarah Starbird, d. Aug. 24, 1852, ae 1 year
8 mos. [Stone broken off]
Since Sarah was living in Saco, York Co, Maine in 1860, as far as I can tell, You might try checking for his death there.
I am sure that the Otisfield town clerk can help you find out about the two Otisfields.
By the way, I found the cemetery information on the Cumberland County, Maine, GenWeb page.

Good Luck!
Carroll
Hi Ada, I have two Otisfield books on my shelf. Below is the information that I found in the the books. After looking at the information, I checked the 1810 and 1820 census. It appears that Westbrook was the residence of a Daniel Starbird I hope this gives you a hint of a relationship or another place to look for vital records.

VITAL RECORDS OF OTISFIELD MAINE TO THE YEAR 1892, BIRTHS, MARRIAGES and DEATHS
Editor William S. Spurr
Page 145
OTISFIELD BIRTHS
STARBIRD, (see Starboard), Alemda, d. Lowell V. and Sarah R. (Green), Nov. 3, 1845.
Etta B., d. Nathan E. and Melissa A., July 21, 1857. [Melissa Stone, P.R.1.]
James, twin s. Lowell V. and Sarah R. (Green), Dec. 24, 1850.
Jane, twin d. Lowell V. and Sarah R. (Green), Dec. 24, 1850.
John, s. Lowell V. and Sarah R. (Green), July. 18, 1856.
Marian G., d. Nathan E. and Melissa A., Dec. 4, 1860. [Melissa Stone, P.R.1.]
Lafayett, s. Lowell V. and Sarah R. (Green), Oct. 1, 1848.
Lowell, h. Sarah R., a. 32y., in U.S.C.
Sarah, w. Lowell., a. 25y., in U.S.C.

STARBOARD, (see Starbird), Sarah, a. 72 y., in U.S.C.

Page 263
OTISFIELD MARRIAGES
STARBIRD, (see Starboard), Lowell V., and Sarah R. Green, both of O., int. May 7, 1843.
Melissa, Mrs., and Eben Scribner, both of O., int. Nov. 5, 1864.
Walter [int. Starbard], and wid. Martha Gerrish, both of O., [int. Mrs.], Jan. 23, 1834.

STARBOARD, (see Starbird), Annis A. [int. Annis Ayers, Starbird], and Edward Scribner, both of O., Jan. 3, 1826.

Page 337
OTISFIELD DEATHS
STARBIRD, Jane, Aug. 25, 1852. [d. Lowell, a. 1 y. 8 m., G.R.7.]
Lowell V., June 2, 1858.

STABIRD, Sarah, w. Daniel, Jan. 19, 1851, a. abt. 72 y.

ABBREVIATIONS
U.S.C. – United States Census for the year 1850, of Otisfield
G.R.7. – gravestone record, Cedar Crest Cemetery.
P.R.1. – Grinfill Holden’s manuscript, in possession of Wm. F. Smith of Otisfield.

A HISTORY OF OTISFIELD CUMBERLAND COUNTY, MAINE FROM THE ORIGINAL GRANT TO THE CLOSE OF THE YEAR 1944
COMPILED AND PUBLISHED BY WILLIAM SAMUEL SPURR
Page 598
STARBIRD, DANIEL, had wife Sarah who d. Jan. 19, 1851, a. abt. 72y

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service