Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Joseph A. Polzin, born Mar 6 1846 or 1848 in Stryp, Germany (Son of Peter Polzin & Anna Schultz)- died Mar 7, 1922 in Ypsilanti, Washtenaw, Michigan. Emigrated on the Columbus from Bremen, Germany in 1872 to the US, arriving in the Castle Garden port in New York City. Married michaelina Malaski, who immigrated to the US from Germany or Poland in 1876 (some US censuses list her birthplace as Germany & others list her birthplace as Poland)
trying to find more information on the parent of Joseph A Polzin (my greatgrandfather) regarding the ancestors of his parnets Peter polzin & anna schultz.. pleas advise. thanks.
sincerely, mary rosaire anderson

veteransdotter@gmail.com

Views: 134

Replies to This Discussion

Genforum
Gene,

this is another reply besides the one earlier, the records that i have attached to Joseph A Polzin's profile page on Ancestry.com are the 1880, 1900, 1910 & 1920 censuses & the ship manifset list for the "columus" in 1872.
i have not been able to pull up naturalization records, death records on ancestry com or any other sites for him. the scensuses do not have any details other than the area - Prussia. death records for his children , where i have been able to even pull them up, do not show this either. He , his wife, & his children, died in Michigan. they were Roman Catholics, so what kind of parish records should i be looking up in Family History Centers for Joseph & his wife Michaelina? sincerely, mary rosaire anderson
i am using a public computer, so i will need to get back to on the norbert stevens reply next week, but i have it pasted in an email that i sent sent to myself & saved.

on ancestry.com, i am cwandersdotter, so i made that tree.

have not been able to find corresponding Bremen record - how would i go about doing so - what database.
willreply more later
Mary,
It appears that a Joseph A. Polzin family member has already done some genealogy research (see Ancestry.com, One World Tree results for Joseph Polzin search).
According to One World Tree, Joseph A. Polzin was born in Strife Germany on March 6, 1846. He was the son of Peter Polzin and Anna Schultz. He died on March 7, 1922 in Ypsilanti, MI.
Joseph was married to Michaelina (Salina) Malaski. Michaelina was born in Germany on September 15, 1855, place unknown. She was the daughter of George Malakia. She died on November 11, 1930 in Ypsilanti, MI.
They had seven children, all born in Michigan: Paul, date of birth unknown, died before 1880, Frank born in 1878, died in 1882, John Joseph born on April 21, 1879, died May 13, 1933, Frank A born on April 23, 1887, died July 27, 1968, Joseph J. born in December 1888, died in 1966, Rose V. born on April 26, 1891, died October 21, 1985 in Flint, MI, and George James born on May 15, 1894, died in September 1971in Whitaker MI.
Best regards,
Norbert
Re: Joseph Polzin Sr. Family, Washtenaw County, MI
Posted by: Norbert Stevens (ID *****7365) Date: November 05, 2005 at 21:43:59
In Reply to: John Joseph POLZIN ancestors in Poland by mary anderson of 41853

Hi Mary,
John Joseph Polzin was a direct descendant of Joseph and Salina Polzin Sr.
There are 1880, 1900, 1910 and 1920 U.S. census records for the Joseph Polzin Sr. family.
The 1880 U.S. census record is indexed on Ancestry.com as Joseph “Polson” living in Trenton, Wayne County, MI.
The 1900 U.S. census record is indexed on Ancestry.com as Joseph Polzin living in rural Augusta Township, Washtenaw County, MI.
The 1910 U.S. census record is indexed on Ancestry.com as Joseph “Polzen” living in rural Augusta Township, Washtenaw County, MI.
The 1920 U.S. census record is indexed on Ancestry.com as Joseph Polzin living in rural Augusta Township, Washtenaw County, MI.
Joseph Sr. was born in Germany/Prussia in March 1848. He married Salina in 1877, presumably in Trenton, Wayne County, MI. Salina was born in Germany/Poland in September 1855. She gave birth to seven children of whom five survived. All of the children were born in Michigan: Frank was born in 1877; John Joseph was born on February 13, 1879, another son named Frank was born in April 1887 (it is assumed that the first son named Frank died), Joseph Jr. was born in December 1888, Rose was born in April 1891 and George was born in May 1894. In 1880, Joseph Sr. was employed as a laborer. From 1900 until 1920, Joseph Sr. was farmer.
According to the census records, Joseph Sr. immigrated to the U.S. in 1872. Salina immigrated in 1876. There is a conflict in the census records as to when Joseph Sr. was naturalized a U.S. citizen. He was naturalized either before 1900 or between 1910 and 1920.
Joseph Sr. died between 1920 and 1930. In 1930, Salina was living with her son John Joseph and his family in Ypsilanti, Washtenaw County, MI.
There is a New York Passenger List, 1851-1891 Record for a Joseph Polzin. He arrived in New York on August 5, 1872 on board the vessel Columbus. He was 26 years old and his place of origin was listed as Germany. His port of departure was Bremen, Germany.
Best regards,
Norbert
the parents names were on on reply posting by nnorbert steven in 2005 on genforum. the shiplist does not not name the city of his birth just the area- Prussia. the census records i pulled up on the databases on ancestry.com. on the place names there is a website that gives sound alike names for various town & one was Stryp for "strife"
yes - will call sometime this week.

i have a 1st cousin, once removed named george Robert Polzin, - could this be the same one?
the One World Tree historian mentioned in Norbert Stvens post on Genforum, my be my 2nd cousin Dennis or one of my other 2nd cousins, as some of them are researching Joseph A Polzin also - when i joined ancstrycom in March of this year i started the Anderson Family Tree as user Cwandersdotter. i have spoken to a number of my Michigan 2nd cousins, & 1st cousins once removed, & thery have no m9ore infornation than i do. i have looked on Findagrave.com for the graves of Joseph a polzin & his wife michalina ( and other family members) who died in Michigan & have not been able to find them.
Possibly,
one thing that i am wondering is how i would pull up death records on Joseph A polzin & his wife Michaelina online. the site Seeking Michigan has nothing, when i look up his name on death records ( & Michigan is strict on birth records - i would need to get Joseph's birth record from Germany - or next choice baptismal records from Germany).

this wednesday, i am attnding a class in tucson's Family History Center on Genealogy.
Possibly,
one thing that i am wondering is how i would pull up death records on Joseph A polzin & his wife Michaelina online. the site Seeking Michigan has nothing, when i look up his name on death records ( & Michigan is strict on birth records - i would need to get Joseph's birth record from Germany - or next choice baptismal records from Germany).

this wednesday, i am attnding a class in tucson's Family History Center on Genealogy.
unfortunately, Dennis does not have anmore info than i do.

thanks for the links -i was able to pull them up & thanks for the info on the cemetary
gene,

my cousin Dennis is not the compiler- while paging through page after page on genforum in nov 2007, i came upon a posting by dennis from 2003 asking about Joseph A Polzin - i then pasted norbert stevens replies to me from 2005, in a reply poisting to dennis-

sincerely, mary rosaire anderson
yes, cousin dennis gave me the individual names Fleszar, Watts, waltz & others when i went to see him last July during a genealogy seminar in california

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service