Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

My 4x, great-grandfather, James BERRY (c1752-1822), was grievously wounded in an encounter with Wyandott warriors on the waters of what is today called Hinkston's Creek. The site has been memorialized by both a DAR plaque & state highway marker on US 60.

Berry was part of a militia response to an attack on Estill's Station, and was led by Capt. James ESTILL (1750-1782). Following the battle, Estill's slave 'Uncle' MONK (slave name Estill), who had been captured in the attack on the station, carried my ancestor on his back, 25 miles or so, to safety. For his valor, in discouraging a more vigorous attack on the undefended station, and for helping Estill's men during the battle (if not for carrying Berry), Monk became the first freed slave in what is now Kentucky. 

I've messaged members of this group, asking for help in obtaining a survey document that was placed in 1804 in Montgomery County records. I do not know whether county lines have changed since that date.

Survey by WILLIAM O'REAR, Surveyor, Montgomery County, dated 1st and 2nd February 1803, showing WILLIAM BANTON's entry of 500 acres place where James Estill began his battle at time he was killed," THOMAS MOSELY's 1,650 acres, BENJAMIN WHITE's improvement, WILLIAM HAYES' 1,000 acres, and DAVID CREWS' survey.

Figures on the plat purportedly "represent the place where the men first discovered the enemy and dismounted," and where a burial detail discovered the bodies.

I'm also interested in period folklore about the Indian Mound, sometimes called Small Mountain, or any of the parties involved in the battle.

Thanks,

Dave Hardesty, Portland, OR

Views: 169

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service