Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Are you interested in genetic genealogy? Curious how it works, or how it can be used to benefit you? Join the discussion and benefit from the many others who have used DNA to augment their traditional research!

Views: 277

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know if this is a question, it might be just a statement. I am stuck as all of my Hale researchers are in finding info on our gg grandfather (John Hale born abt 1800-1820, possibly in Wythe County, VA). I took a Y-DNA test at Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) in hopes that it would provide some clues.

When I received the Y-DNA results, it was an eye opener. The results showed the only match to a Hale was a known cousin, and neither I nor my cousin matched any Hale. FTDNA showed matches to these surnames: Acker, Aker, and Akers. Another Hale cousin told me that her mother always said that they were not Hale, they were really AKERS. It seems an Akers was taken in by a Hale family and changed their name to Hale or for some reason an Akers changed their name to Hale.

Since these two cousin’s g grandfather’s are brothers to my g grandfather, then the person changing their name has to be our gg grandfather or and earlier male person. In a dissertation by a professor writing a paper on the Indian population of the Magoffin County, KY area in the early 1800’s he sated that John Hale and his wife Sarah Fawbush came to Magoffin County, KY by way of Perry County, KY. But, he stated nothing was known of their life before arriving in Perry County, KY from eastern TN.

So, Y-DNA can be very revealing, but sometimes it leads to more questions.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service