Predating the ''Origin of the name Drysdale''
discredits the ‘’Creation’’ of the name Drysdale
The genesis of the Surname today more commonly spelled Drysdale was no folly by the Douglas's , by far ....A Scandinavian by the name of Ingebald , he was the one that named the river Dryfe .... it ran thru lands granted him by the king . In history There are no references to him firsthand , but a second hand reference written in Latin , from Charter by Robert de Brus to Hugh the son of Ingebald is returned the lands of his father , Held in Drivesdale . [ Drivesdale is on the second line below the yellow bar at the top of the photo below ]
THE ORIGIN OF THE NAME DRYSDALE
"On the Twentieth Day of May, One Thousand Five Hundred and Three Years
We, Thomas, William, and James Douglas, sons of the departed Thomas Douglas , of Brushwood Haugh, in the parish of Drysdale, and Shire of Dumfries, left our native place for the reason here assigned, viz:- Defending our just and lawful rights against our unjust neighbour,Johnston of Greenstone Hill, who, being determined to bring water to his mill through our property, and having obtained leave of his friend, the King, began his operations on Monday, the 16th of May, We prevented him by force.
The next day he brought twenty of his vassels to carryout his work. We with two friends and three servants, eight in all, attacked Johnston with his twenty, and, in the contest, fourteen of his men were killed, along with their base leader.
A report of these proceedings was carried to the King, and we were obliged to fly, (the tocsin being sounded).We took shelter under the shades of the Ochil Hills, in a lonely valley on the river Devon. After having lived there a full two years, to returned home in disguise, but found all our property in the possession of Johnston's friends, and a great reward offered for our lives.
We, having purchased a small shot, called the Haugh of Dollar, and changed our names to the name of our Parish, are clearing in mind to spend the residue of our days under the ope of the Ochils, and wish the name of Dryfdale to flourish in the lonely valley.
The King passed through this with his Court on the 12th of June, 1506, going from Stirling to Falkland - dined on Halliday's green. (an eastern neighbour;) but we were not recognised."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
The above story has been preserved among the descendants of Thomas, William, and James Douglas, now known by the name of Drysdale, and copied at several times by different individuals -
first, by Simon Drysdale of the Haugh of Dollar, in the year 1620;
by Robert Drysdale of Yillicoultry, in 1708;
by John Drysdale, Dunfermline, in 1835;
by James Hogg Drysdale, Dumfermline, in 1838;
and was printed first in the year 1833 by John Drysdale , Montrose
and again in the same form by the last named John Drysdale, Glasgow 1883 ;
and now by Thomas D. Drysdale , Westerton Farm , Leslie , Fife , 1906 .888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888888