Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

I am doing a "all-surname study" of Cripe, and I have a person that I cannot CLEARLY identify, with the data I've found on the Internet so far (mostly censuses, also USGenWeb when available).

I have SEVEN David Cripes born in this timeframe between 1839-1842 (none again till 1855) and here's what I find (all birthdates are estimates based on censuses unless I specify otherwise):

1. David Gripe, b. 1839 IN, father was Jacob Gripe, in 1850 census 11yrs old in Kosciusko, IN; in 1860 census 21yrs old in Kosciusko, IN; in 1870 census 32yrs old Kosciusko, IN, married to a Hannah (not the one I'm interested in). I believe this parentage is correct and complete for the years of interest, so I'll ignore him for now. I included him only for completeness.

2. David Cripe, b. 1840 IN, father was John E Cripe, in 1850 census 10yrs old in Carroll, IN; in 1860 census 20yrs old in Carroll, IN; not yet identified in 1870 census (which is what I'm working on now).

3. David Cripe, b. 1841 IL, father was Jacob Cripe, in 1850 census 9yrs old in Bond, IL; in 1860 census 19yrs old in Bond, IL; in 1870 census 30yrs old in Bond, IL married to Mary. I believe this parentage is correct and complete for the years of interest, besides, he's born in Illinois, not Indiana, so I'll ignore him for now. I included him only for completeness.

4. David Cripe, b. 1841 IN (one census says IA, but I'm sure this is the abbreviation for Indiana not Iowa, mistake by census taker), father was Joseph Cripe, in 1850 census 9yrs old in Clinton, IN; in 1850 census 18yrs old in Clinton, IN; not yet identified in 1870 census.

5. David Cripe, b. 1841 IN, father was John Cripe, in 1850 census under mistranscribed name Criss as 9yrs old in Carroll, IN; not found or identified in 1860 or 1870 censuses.

6. David Cripe, b. 1842 IN, father unknown, boarding with Joseph Hufford in 1860 census in Clinton, IN; not identified in 1850 census, see next entry for 1870 census.

7. David Cripe, b. 1842 IN, father questionable, living in household of Esther Cripe (widow of Jacob Cripe Jr) in 1870 census, apparently married to their daughter Hannah Cripe with two young children.

Now, Alice Marie Beard's "family tree", which I've been using for reference, to link up the names, says that the Hannah Cripe in Esther and Jacob's household is actually Hannah Morgan, implying she might be adopted. I say adopted not fostered, since she is shown even in 1850 census and 1860 census as Hannah CRIPE, not Hannah MORGAN. Alice Beardley's "family tree" shows Hannah married to a David E Cripe, her first cousin, father is Samuel Cripe, but the mother AND father (and one infant child) all died in 1847, before all-name censuses, and they are buried in Blickenstaff Cemetery in Ross township, Clinton Co, IN. David E Cripe's younger sister Susan is found in 1850 census living with her uncle Leonard Cripe. Obviously the two kids were farmed out...I couldn't identify where David E Cripe is in the 1850 census, but I assume this is the same person as number 6 above, living with Joseph Hufford in 1860 census (Joseph and wife Eva were married in 1850, but are living alone, no kids).

I cannot find any source that can identify which David Cripe is actually married to Hannah, daughter of Esther and Jacob. It could be David#2 (son of John E), David#4 (son of Joseph), David#5
(son of John), or David#6 (boarding with Huffords). In fact, I can't positively say that the fathers for #2, #4, #5 or #6 are even correct, since I can't find birth data (even transcriptions) on-line.

Does anyone have any data which will further reduce the possibilities of which David is really married to Hannah Cripe, daughter of Esther and Jacob Cripe?

Views: 122

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service