Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

My mother-in-law's maiden name is brown and all we have is her dad's info 

John William Brown

Born: 25 Jun 1913 in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada 
Died: 27 Mar 1976 in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada 
His father may also have been John William Brown but my mother-in-law has no recollection of his family. He eventually moved to Edmonton where he married Sarah Rosentreter. together they had 4 children all born in Edmonton
  • Norman Edward Brown born 1946
  • Jane Marion Brown born 1948
  • Betty Ann Brown born 1951
  • Jack Alvin Brown born 1956

Any help to find siblings or parents of John William Brown appreciated. I have tried finding him in the
1916 Canada Census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta but no such luck. 

UPDATE: May 13, 2015

I now know that his dad definitely was John William Brown and his mother died when he was quite young Have found family in 1921 Canada census and John  William Brown Sr was already remarried to a Phoebe Annie Madley. Any birth marriage or death info for John William Brown Sr or info on his first wife who died would be appreciated

Views: 330

Replies to This Discussion

Further info I've found from 1921 census is as follow's:

John William Brown Sr immigrated to Canada in 1899.

He and his first wife ( still unknown) had 

Matilda Jean Brown born abt 1912

John William Brown born 1913

Lillian Mae Brown born abt 1916

Ida Helen Brown born abt 1918

And his second Wife Phoebe Annie Madley was a widow

had a son from from her first marriage

Arthur Thomas Hewitt born in 1912 in England

Still seeking info on John William Sr's family and also his first wife.

UPDATE:

have found much info but not all.

John William Brown was a British Home Child sent over to Canada by the Barnardo's Homes. His first wife was Matilda Jean Brown nee Johnson and they had 4 children:

Matilda Jean Brown born abt 1912 - Still seeking info on her (Listed in obit for Lillian as Jean Brown so likely died young and no marriage)

John William Brown (25 Jun 1913 - 27 Mar 1976)

Lillian Mae Brown (31 Oct 1915 - 20 Mar 2017) married Arthur Allen (Seeking info on him)

Ida Helen Brown born abt 1918 Still seeking info on her (listed in obit for Lillian as Mrs Helen Hazen)

Also listed in Lilian's obit is another sibling Margaret Barnes which is likely a married name but unable to find anything else on her perhaps a child born later by John William Brown's second wife Phoebe

Any further info on this family is greatly appreciated.

Have you searched the Home Children on the BIFHSGO site? https://bifhsgo.ca/cpage.php?pt=496

Also check the Library and Archives Canada Home Children databases.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service