Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Introduce yourself and share a bit about your Loyalist ancestor.

Views: 3471

Replies to This Discussion

I'm afraid I don't know as much about my Loyalist ancestors as I'd like to. My known Loyalist was Jacob Beam who (as far as I can find) never actual fought for the British but housed and supported the British troops in New Jersey during the Revolution. After the war he was given land in Ontario by the British and established the town of Beamsville. Other Loyalist surnames I'm researching (but need to prove my connection with) are Horton, Bell, and Buchner/Buckner.
Greetings to all! My Loyalist ancestors settled in New Brunswick, first in Saint John, then in Westfield. They have also been one of my brick walls in determining where in the US they came from. They are the WAT(T)ERS family, of whom my direct ancestor, Joel Waters, was 7 years old when he arrived in Saint John in 1783. His son, Nelson Waters married Elizabeth Mowry, granddaughter of Jonathan Mowry, a UEL from New York (whose application for land I have seen on the UEL website). The family tradition, which has been confirmed through a distant cousin recently "found", is that Joel was the son of one of 6 Waters brothers who were all loyalists. At the end of the war, 3 chose to go to California, and the other 3 went to Canada. If anyone has any information on this family, it would be greatly appreciated!

I am new to this site. My 4G Grandfather was Johnathan MOWRY b:1748.

Johnathan MOWRY b:1748

Uriah Sr MOWRY b: 1775 d: 12 Apr 1851

Uriah Jr MOWRY b :1816 d:16 Aug 1894

John Lawrence MOWRY b:1842 d: 19 Aug 1894

William Robert Steven MOWRY b: 08 Oct 1880 d:Apr 1955

Lester Willoughby MOWRY b:13 Sep 1918 d:9 Apr 2003

Me

Johnathan was a Loyalist from the NY area and travelled to Saint John, then Westfield in 1783.  His first wife died in NY of smallpox 23 Jan 1778.  I have the name of the ship they went to New Brunswick on somewhere.  I have an image of his original claim for property taken in NY and his land grant application. I have a map showing his land. 

Uriah Sr was abt 9 years old when they came to Canada.  Uriah Jr was married to Margaret Ann Marie Giggey 07 Nov 1839.  I do show an Elizabeth Catherine MOWRY b:1841 in Kingston that may be yours.   It would be interesting to find out more.

I've been researching my family tree for about 5 years now. There has been a bit of confusion about a couple of branches of my maternal line. It seems that I have both Loyalist and Patriot ancestors; who emigrated to Canada about the same time.
My 8x great grandparents are William Bowen I (born 9 Oct 1670 in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts) and Rachel Jane Jonckers (born 20 January 1685 or 1686 in Schenectady, New York). They had 7 children: Uriah (Reyer), Cornelius, John, William II (my 7x great grandfather), Maria, Sarah, and Susan.
According to family stories, the Bowens caused quite a bit of trouble for the Patriots during the time of the Revolution.
William II (born before 11 Jun 1703) married Cornelia Quackenbos (born about 17 June 1704). Their son, William III, was born 13 October 1734 in Fort Hunter, Montgomery Township, New York; and died 10 March 1803 in Richmond Township, Lennox & Addington County, Ontario. He married Catherine Van Antwerp (born before 1726 in Schenectady, New York; died 30 September 1817 in Richmond Township, Lennox & Addington County, Ontario) on 1 March 1758 at Fort Hunter, Montgomery Township, New York).
I'm not sure when the Bowens emigrated to Canada, or in which unit he served. I know they settled around Fredericksburg, Lennox & Addington County, before they moved to different parts of Ontario.
My Loyalist was John Pencil who was my 4x great uncle. He served with the Royal Americans (60th of Foot) prior to the American Revolution and was in Butler's Rangers from 1778-1784. He married Eva (Sarah) Dingman McNutt in 1783 who had five children from her previous marriage to James McNutt: Catherine/Katrine Mcnutt who married Albert Williams, Margaret McNutt who married Peter Philipps, James McNutt who married Sarah Dingman, Gerard McNutt and Sarah McNutt who married Christopher Peterson.

The family received their land grant in Fredericksburg (3rd Town/ship) rather than in Niagara like the rest of Butler's Rangers due to Eva's family also receiving their grants in Fredericksburg. These would be her brother Garret Dingman and her sister Alyce/Elise's husband John Woodcock.

I am still looking for the baptismal record of the only child John & Eva had together, John Pencil, Jr. The date was either 1786 or 1789. John Pencil, Jr. applied for a land grant as an SUE in 1810 stating that his father had died.

There is quite an unusual story about John Pencil, Sr.'s death. Legend has it that he was killed by wolves in Cataracqui. The date for this event would have to be between Nov. 21, 1802 and Feb. 16th, 1810. I don't know if there were newspapers during this time period, but would like to have more information about this event.

I would like to find any BMD records for the following descendants:

John Pencil, Jr. married Fanny Jackson daughter of Jethro Jackson, UE of Richmond. They had 3 known children: Nancy who married John Drader, Laura who married Carleton Kerr and John Pencil III who married Martha Hubble. There's a big gap between Laura and John III so I suspect that there were more children.
It's interesting how many of our links to the Loyalist cause involve Butlers Rangers isn't it? The same for me. My 6th G-Grandfather was Jacob Teague from the Mohawk Valley. He spent two years in Butlers Rangers, 1777 to 1779 and then three in the KRRNY. Unlike may others though he ended up in New Carlisle, Bonaventure, Quebec after the war.
His eldest daughter married another Loyalist by the name of Joseph Goodwillie in New Carlisle. They eventually ended up in Barnet, Vermont. Four of their eight children came back to Canada around or shortly after the War of 1812.
I'm currently working to dot the i's and cross the t's toward a UE recognition.
My proven Loyalist ancestor was George Henry Loyd, 2nd Battalion, King's Royal Regiment NY, he settled in North Fredericksburg, Lennox & Addington County, Ontario, Canada. He married Katerina Young who is also a DUE.
I have been working on another ancestor Abraham DeForest, 2KRR NY. He settled in the Niagara region then moved to Halton County. He was the son of Symon DeForest & Mary McGinnis. Abraham married Elizabeth Bowman who was also a DUE. Abraham’s maternal grandmother was Sarah Kast McGinnis a well know British supporter during the war who was asked to provide service by communicating and living with the Mohawk and later settled in Niagara. Unfortunately women who helped the British were not in the military so not recognized as a Loyalist ancestor. I have not found anyone who has applied for their UE with a DeForest ancestor and linage documentation has been scarce to the point it may not be possible to prove my DeForest line as Loyalists.
Regards,
Paul R. Caverly UE, PLCGS
My mother, Joyce Alice VAN EVERY (1923 - 1970), was descended from MacGregor VE / Samuel VE m. Mary COON / Wiliam Bela VE m. Henrietta BEASLEY/ David Clement Beasley VE m. Hester TAYLOR / Samuel Ward VE m. Alice CONGDON / Hamilton Ward VE m. Dorothy WOODLAND

My UEL ancestors are:
VAN EVERY
SPRINGER (Harriet, wife of Richard BEASLEY who were the parents of Henrietta)
COON (Hannah who married 1st Samuel VE, 2nd Titus Geer SIMONS)
RYCKMAN (Hester TAYLOR's mother was Clarissa RYCKMAN who married Michael TAYLOR)
TAYLOR (as above)

Hester TAYLOR's parents died young, and it is likely that she was raised by her uncle, Samuel Ward RYCKMAN. Her eldest son was named Samuel Ward, her eldest daughter was named Clara Ryckman VAN EVERY. Samuel Ward's eldest son was named Hamilton Ward, and his oldest son was named Ralph Ward VAN EVERY. His oldest son was named Grieg Ward VAN EVERY (b. 1940). Thus the name WARD, the maiden name of John RYCKMAN's wife, is still honored today in the VAN EVERY line..

Luv my Loyalist Lines

My 5th & 6th great grandfathers, Lucas FEADER  and his father, Lucas VETTER (FADER, FEETER) were Loyalists.  While their brother/son, William FEETER, was a Patriot. 

Lucas FEADER married Elizabeth HARTLE (HERTEL) daughter of Loyalist, John HARTLE.

Lucas & Elizabeth’s son Jacob (my 4th great grandfather) married Margaret KNAUF (KANOFF, KNAUFF, KNOUGH) daughter of Adam KNAUFF a Loyalist and his wife Catrina SERVICE daughter of Philip SERVISS (SERVICE. SERVOS), the Loyalist.

All these lines were from Johnstown, Caughnawaga (Fonda), Stone Arabia areas of the Mohawk Valley and settled in Matilda, Dundas, Ontario.

Another 5th great grandfather Loyalist, John Simon STRADER II married Hannah CARNS (KERNS) daughter of Loyalist Jacob CARNS.  John & Hannah’s son married Eva GRASBERGER (GROWBERGER, CROWBERGHER, CROBAR) daughter of Loyalist Petras GRASBERGER.

This group also settled in Matilda, Dundas, Ontario.

Recently work on my father’s line shows another 5th great grandfather, Richard ALBERTSON to be a Loyalist.  Richard’s son, William, married Elizabeth POWLEY (PAULI, PAUL), daughter of Loyalist, Jacob PAULI.  Jacob was married to Annetje VAN VORST, daughter of Patriots Jellis VAN VORST & Anna BERRITT.

The ALBERTSONS AND POWLEYS were from Schenectady and the Loyalist parts of the family settled in Kingston, Frontenac, Ontario, Canada.

How fortunate am I, to now live where my ancestors did 235 years ago!

I am also from the Fader/Vetter line.  starting with Lucas Vetter in Germany in 1696, I descend through Lucas Vetter,1696 and Katherine Lenninger, . Lucas Vetter, Germany 1723 and Eva Servis, John Fader (Vetter) 1779 - New York state and Elizabeth Shaver.  Most of the info I have is from the Feeter papers.

Hi Sandy,

I recently came across some family tree papers of my Grandmothers that show we are also related to Lucas Feader.  I'll have to look back through the records to see which line she was from.  I'm going to see if these lines are all included in the family tree history.  If you would like a copy, I could send it to you.

Kate

I am the 5 x gt grandaughter of Johann Andre.  I know that Major John Andre visited him.   I am trying to find a home for the Major on my tree.  If anyone is interested in Major John Andre, I would love to hear from you.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service