Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

I've been researching my family history for more than 30 years. My Canadian research has been limited to Ontario, primarily the Hamilton-Wentworth area. By no means am I an expert but I'm pretty familiar with what type of records are available to anyone researchig in this area.

Views: 1587

Replies to This Discussion

I am based in London, Ontario. My family can be found mainly in Elgin and Middlesex County's. I have gone further afield as one of my great grandmothers was from a Pennsylvania Mennonite family. As well, my direct ancestor's brother immigrated to Michigan and I have done some research there. Sooner or later I will need to go on a research trip to England, Cornwall, and Scotland to see what I can dig up there.
I am researching mainly early Ontario, Quebec and the maritimes. I am currently researching the UE Loyalists in Upper Canada and early pioneers in Essex County.
I'm researching the family of Jonathan Wade who came to the Long Point settlement in Upper Canada (Ontario) in 1798; also that of his wife Elizabeth Sovereign/Sovereen, daughter of Jacob the tavern-keeper.
Hi - my friend and boss is an Ouderkirk, with I am sure, ties to Nova Scotia, if I recall. If you like, send me your email and I will have her get in contact with you.
Take care,
Wendy
I'm researching my husband's parternal lines, primarily in Russell, Prescott, Carleton counties in Ontario, with some overlap into Quebec.
My husband's family is from Prescott County mostly, what names are your searching?
Sometime in the early 1900's my great-grandfather, Richard Oldford, and his wife Dora Jane (Rowsell) moved to Pictou County, Nova Scotia. Prior to this they called Newfoundland home; he from Elliston (formerly Bird Island Cove) and she from Point Leamington.

I'm also researching my Rideout roots as well which originated in Twillingate, NL.

If you have any information on any of these lines (Oldford, Rowsell, or Rideout) I'd greatly appreciate you contacting me.

I live in Halifax, NS and if I can be of any help to you please don't hesitate to contact me.
Hi Scott,

I don't have anything on your Oldford's but I do have a Dorothy Oldford from Musgravetown who married Archibald Gardner. Dorothy is the daughter of Ackman/Ackerman C. Oldford. She came to Cambridge in 1923 and married Archie about 1925. Archie was from British Harbour. Any connection to your Oldford's?
I have many ancestors in the Eastern Townships of Quebec -- Loyalist settlers to Caldwell's and Christies Manors (Salls, Tryon, Covey, Vaughan, Tallman and Scott), and later additions were Patterson, Derick, Young, Wait and Longeway -- mostly settling originally in Missisquoi Co and spreading out.

My Dad's line is Nova Scotia and New Brunswick...Wood and Williams as Planters to Cornwallis, NS area; Penobscot Loyalists Daley and Hammond to St Andrew's, Charlotte Co; and Loyalists Belding, Howard and Kerr ending up in Saint John, NB; Hepburn, Darrah, and Stanley also Saint John Co, NB
Pam, I am also a Scott from Quebec. My George B. Johnson/Johnston family in Elgin Co. moved to Michigan and was married to Miranda Lucas whose family included the Scott line and Lucases from New England.
I am researching the Tallman name in Quebec Providence.....Daniel Tallman was born 1819, Quebec, died 1900, LaPraire, Quebec, Canada. Is the Tallman name derived from an Indian tribe?
Hi Caroline;
I found this;
Surname: Tallman

Not a member?

If you are not a member, sign-up for FREE today. So that you can make the most of this site.

Register
Login

Surname Scroll

Enjoy this name printed onto our colourful scroll, printed in Olde English script.

Further details

Recorded as Tale, Tall, Talle, Tallman, and possibly Talman, this is an English surname. As Tall it is quite rare, partly because the word 'tall' did not have anything like the same connotation in medieval times as it has today. It has Olde English pre 7th century origins and actually described a decent and respectable person, someone of trust. As there were few such people, may help to explain the relative rarity of the surname. A person of above average height would have been called 'Long' and it was not until the Elizabethan era, two hundred years after surnames came into popular use, that tall as a word, was used to describe a person's height. As Tallman the surname described a respected merchant, the first example being that of Walter Talman of the county of Somerset in the year 1273. This was in the Hundred Rolls of landowners of the county. It is unclear when the surname as Tale or Tall was first recorded, and it may have been a short version of Tallman, but examples in the surviving church registers of the city of London include Thomas Tall who was christened at St Mary Whitechapel, Stepney, on September 11th 1608, and Mary Tale who married James Jermain at St Botolophs Bishopgate, on April 3rd 1610.
At this site http://www.surnamedb.com/

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service