Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Ignatius, anyone? How about Clotilde?

One of the best aspects of genealogy research, for me at least, is learning some of the names my ancestors saw fit to bestow upon their children. When I first started and I found my 4th g grandfather Micah and his sister Silence, I was fascinated. Now, I know that naming conventions change over time and vary greatly with geography and other factors. (I also have a pet theory about the name Silence... In my family it always seems to have been given to the 11th or 12th child, so I believe that it was wishful thinking.)

Still, some names just jump out at you. My current favorites are:

Clotilde LeGrand (1st cousin twice removed)
Bezaleel Howe (b.1750 MA,d.1825 NY - 4th g grand uncle) (his son was also Bezaleel)
Ignatius Malloy (b. after 1845 - 1st cousin 3 times removed)

and my winner... S. Imogene Addison (b. abt 1820 - 1st cousin 4 times removed.) I think that the "S" was for Silence...

So what are your favorite names?

Views: 1098

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not a favorite name, but it does remind me of a "genealogy" joke. The census taker knocks on the door and introduces himself to the lady who answers the door, explaining his purpose. He starts asking her various questions including how many children she has. "12" she responds. "Oh, what are their names?" the census taker asks.  "Lee", she responds. "All of them are Lee?" he asks. "Yes", she answers." It is really handy, watch". She goes to the back door and yells, "Lee, dinner!" and all twelve come marching in and sit down for dinner. Afterwards, she says "Lee, do your homework" which they go do.  Of course, the census taker.says he is impressed, but wants to know what she does when she wants an individual? "Oh" she says "I call them by their last name".
One name I am very fond of is Fleury Keith, my 3x great-grandfather.When I was growning up our family had no idea where his first name came from. It seemed French and that is about all we knew. Once I got into serious researching, I learned from distant relatives that his father, Phineas Keith of Massachusetts and Rhode Island, had fought alongside Francois Louis Tessiedre Fleury, of France, and his companion, Lafayette in the American Revolution. In fact, Fleury Keith named one of his sons Fleury Fayette Keith. We always liked the name Fleury, but apparently Fleury Fayette Keith sometimes went by Frank!
Adeliza De Louvain, Consort Queen of England (my 18th gr grandmother)

My favorite name right at the moment is Ruby Rose. She was a child of an Avery who lived in Missouri.

On the other end of the scale my mom and her 4 sisters had names that didn't really go together. My mom was Gaihl Thelma Romayne Bartels. Her sisters were Gertrude Sophia Lillian (she went by Lillian or Lil or Lovie), Gladys Viola Mae, Goldie Pauline Ruth, and Grace Lizzie Moore.

Their father's generation had Luther George Wohlford Bartlels  ( my grandfather), Lizzie Moore Ruth, Fanny Sophia Olive, and Lawson Charlie Allen.

I have a Marinda (2nd g grandmother), a name I love. I also have a Surelda (or possibly Sarilda) a name I am not in love with!
I have a relative on my grandmother's side that their first name is Euchariste......surname Montmarquet....so far I only see this name once in my research so far.

I think my great grandmother (bless her) could very well lay claim to my favourite name: BERTHA AMELIA THERESA AUSTRALIA MEDHURST.  The "Australia" was not because of being born there (but she was) - it was because her mother's best friend had "Australia" as her first name - Australia Cobcroft.  My second favourite would have to be a cousin in my mother's BRIDGE.  His parents named him SIDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE - he was bornin the year that the bridge was opened - 1932.  And then there's my neighbour, DEBRA (Debbie) DOBBY.

My favorite name must be Mehitable

Loveberry Dupree.  And that's a guy.  haha!

Loree Love Hayes is my favorite. Labijah, one of the most unusual for me.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service