Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

So much of my research is done on the Swedes who settled in Illinois. Does anyone have any Swedish ancestors who settled there?

Views: 301

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have Lindquist and Desaix that were in Chicago.
Oh yes, many in Chicago! My great-great-grandfather Andrew T. Anderson (Andreas Troedsson) immigrated to Chicago. His brother Nils T. Anderson (Nils Troedsson) and sisters Johanna Troedsdotter Sandquist and Elna Troedsdotter (I believe her married name was Jonsson) also immigrated to Chicago. So did my great-great-grandfather Charles John Dahlquist. He married my great-great-grandmother Mary Louise Borg, who was born and raised in Porter, Indiana, but both of her parents immigrated from Sweden. Her brother August Borg and sister Minnie Borg Olson also moved to Chicago.
They say the Swedes built Chicago. At one time it was the second largest Swedish city besides Stockholm. I have several who settled there.
My wife's family came from Halland lan, Sweden to Geneva IL (west of Chicago, in Kane County) in 1902. A very large Swedish population settled in the Geneva/Batavia area at the end of the century. Geneva still celebrates Swedish Days annually.

I routinely include the surnames I am searching for in my genealogy-related e-mails, and after 10-years of searching, was recently contacted by one of her distant cousins back in Sweden that we had no knowledge of, descended from a son who stayed in Sweden. Small world.

Also, keep the Bishop Hill Colony in Henry County, Illinois, on your radar. This was a Swedish community and has an amazing library and archives of everyhing Swedish in the US. More info can be fgound at http://www.bishophill.com/index.php
I'm the host of Illinois Ancestors Henry County and you're so right Bishop Hill does have an amazing library and archives. Many people don't know that.
I just found out that relatives to me emigrated to Geneva and possibly Elgin in Kane County. They came from Halland's and Älvsborg's län. Hallberg and Carlson. Was interesting to learn from your posting that Kane was a center for Swedes. ( I actually came across earlier in my research another relative from Halland that settled in Batavia.) Now I am trying to trace descendants from them.
i did. they helped me on the swedish ancestry group. a large group of swedish people settled in the area i grew up in. rock island and moline,illinois. my great grandfather was swan peterson who immigrated in 1887 and hannah linder in 1888. they had two daughters and one was my grandmother.
Funny, I grew up on the Iowa side of the QCA but my ancestors lived in Rock Island county too. I have a web site for Rock Island as well!

My great grandfathers sister was in Chicago. Her name was Anna Maria Anderson, born 4 Nov. 1862 in Hjälmseryd, Jönköping, Sweden. She married a Swanson. I believe his name was Ossian Swanson but I can not find anything in the records to tie them together.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service