Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Jim Avery

Peyton R. Bailey (1839 - 1914) On August 7, 1861, Peyton enlisted as a Private in the 2nd MS, Infantry, Co. E, and was appointed 2nd Lt. on June 27, 1862. Company E - Calhoun Rifles - Itawamba County: Mustered into State service on 18 February 1861. Captured at Gettysburg on July 1, 1863.
Sent first to Point Lookout, MD, then to Fort Delaware and thence to Johnson's Island, OH. Paroled and sent to City Point, VA for exchange on 3/7/1865. Subsequently paroled at Columbus, MS on 5/17/1865. Capt. Bailey was the brother of John W. Bailey who married Matilda (Johnson). Matilda was the sister of our Selena (Johnson) Smith and David Johnson. Selena was the wife of above mentioned John Owen Smith.

Have anything more on Capt, Bailey and where he was captured? Maybe a map?

Views: 370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

With the name Peyton Randolph, it sounds like he is related to the Peytons and Randolphs of VA???  You might try research these families to see if there is a Bailey connection.

Hi Cheryl =- I am afraid I didn't see this post until today. I have Fold3 which is military records, but you have all that they have. Jayne McCormick who started the Civil War discussion group works at Fort Delaware. I don't know if they would have any more about your relative, but is worth a try.  I will look at my books about the first day's fighting at Gettysburg and see what they say. Might even be able to find a map. I will see what I can do.  If you want to email me direct, localhistorynut@aol.com

On the first day of battle. The 2nd Mississippi fought the Iron Brigade at a place called the Railroad Cut. That's where the 2nd Mississippi lost its colors and most of the men were captured. Peyton was captured the first day; that's almost certainly where it happened. He is also listed as a 1st Lieutenant. Unless he was promoted later, that was his rank.

FYI: Peyton was one of my great grandfathers on my mother's side.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service