Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

I began this group a few days ago. So far no one (including me) has shared any family recipes. I have one I will look up and post here, as soon as I can, it is for Confederate Army Soup. Does anyone else have vintage recipes they can share? If not how about something your Grandma made that you can't live without cooking every now and then.

Today I made a dish I remember from my childhood. It is Zucchini Casserole. Layer thinly sliced zucchini, cracker crumbs, Parmesean cheese and tomato sauce (thinned a little if you like!) I microwaved it unitl the zucchini was done, (not mushy) and the cheese melted. It is very good with an unusual taste!

Does anyone else have a recipe they can post here?

Take care,

Linda K.

Views: 316

Replies to This Discussion

Corn Patties:
1 cup corn(cream corn works best)
1 egg
2 tsp butter
abt 1/3 cup oil
put into frying pan and make them like you would make pancakes.
flip when top starts bubbling and bottom is light light golden brown. Flip again and same thing.

This was great grandma HUNKINS recipea and now my dad makes it. It can be modified to your own taste.
Are you talking about polenta? It is an Italian corn meal mush. The only way I have seen it packaged (ready to use - fry) is in a roll like sausage in a plastic type wrapper. It's very good.
I might be but we make it homemade. They are also refered to as Corn Cakes. This was also a very popular recipea in my grandpa Boone's family since they lived in the UP of Michigan.
Mom never actually made corn meal mush when I was growing up. You could buy it in the stores. It was packaged in a rectangular package 2 or 3 pounds I believe. Mom would slice off squares about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and fry in bacon grease. Don't know if she dredged it in flour or not. Sure was good with eggs and bacon. I don't find it in stores now, but do find a more expensive product called polenta, which is essentially the same thing.
I love to cook. I have become the publisher of cookbooks for our group Arkansasgravestones.org as fund raisers. I have published a book on "Cooking Game" I have many more ideas. If anyone would like to have their receipes published in our books let me know. Here is my receipe

Czechoslovakian Koloches
2 packages yeast
1 cup water
1/4 cup instant potato flakes
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup margarine
1 cup cold water
2 s eggs beaten
6 cups flour
In mixing bowl mix together yeast, warm water, instant potato flakes, sugar & salt. Let stand & let yeast soften. Melt margarine & add cold water, add this to yeast mix. Then add eggs & mix well. Gradually add flour. If you have a mixer with a dough hook, mix for 8 - 10 minutes. If not then knead for 8 - 10 min. Let dough rise in fridge for 4 hours or overnight. Roll out dough onto lightly floured board. Use biscuit cutter or small glass to cut out dough. Place on baking sheet & allow to double. Punch down in the middle to make a well. Fill with desired filling, & let rise another 20 minutes. Bake at 425 degrees for 9 - 12 minutes or until golden brown. If desired, you may brush the tops with melted butter. Allow them to cool before serving.

Thank you for the wonderful recipe. I will have to try it. I love to cook, too. I love foreign recipes and rarely can find them printed out with accurate measurements. My husband's Grandma Kristof was from Austria Hungry she made "memorable" Apfel Strudel. She was one of the cooks that used "handfuls" for measurements. She had made it so often and knew just how much of each thing to add. When I tried to duplicate it, I could never stretch the dough perfectly with no holes like she did. The dough was stretched on a clean tablecloth on the top of a table and filled the whole circumference of the table. Once stretched it was spread with melted better and the apples, sugar and cinnamon were spread on top. Then the dough was rolled up cut and baked. When I told her I couldn't stretch the dough without getting holes, she did tell me that the flours today are a lot different than they were years ago. I think she was just being kind!

Please keep in touch! I imagine you have many more good recipes to share.

I have written and published two cookbooks myself, for two different churches.
I see more people are joining our group. That's great! Please submit one of your favorite recipes. They don't have to be "antique," comfort food from Mama is more than acceptable. We have a good start, let's keep it going! Thank you to all who have submitted recipes!

Linda K.
Aunt Mary's French Bread

1 package yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
2 cups boiling water
2 tablespoons shortening
2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 cups flour about

Combine yeast & 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Pour boiling water over shortening, sugar & salt. Cool to lukewarm. Add 2 cups flour & beat until smooth. Mix in the softened yeast. Add the rest of the flour, knead until smooth & satiny. Placed in well greased bowl & let rise. Punch down. Divide into 2 portions & roll into a ball. Cover & let rise 10 min. Flatten, & fold lengthwise & pull, roll, & dough to about 15" long. Fold lengthwise & seal edges. Place on greased baking sheet & let rise until doubled. Make diagonal slices on the top 1/8" deep. Brush tops with egg yolk or white beaten slightly with 1 tsp water. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 min Remove & set in draft. Put on cake rack as soon as leaving oven.
Thank you for your great bread recipe. Can you give us a little background about the recipe and Aunt Mary!
It looks very good and doesn't seem too difficult to make. Do you make it often?
Mary was my great aunt on my father's side. She was Mary Jean Vavra and married Elnathan Gilbert Beadle. They always brought home made cookies and wine with them when they came to visit. I have very fond memories of them. The Vavra's came from Cetule, South Bohemia, Czech Republic.
That is great to hear the history behind your recipe. Thank you for including it. My husbands family is from Austria Hungry they immigrated to Chicago around 1907.
I remember fried corn meal mush. My Dad used to make it once in a while. It was good. especially with maple syrup.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service