Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Generation No. 1

1. GEORGE SHRINER was born May 15, 1886 in Leisenring No. 2, Fayette Co, PA, and died November 1964 in Brownsville, Fayette Co, PA. He married (1) HELEN ROSE RUSSIN, daughter of MIKE RUSSIN and MARY. She was born 1888 in Czechoslovakia, and died February 08, 1928. He married (2) MARY SENAK 1933. She died April 09, 1963.

His birthplace is in question by many different family members -- but this is what ww2 card and obit has indicated.

Notes for GEORGE SHRINER:
George Shriner
George Shriner, 79, of 82 Elm Street, Ellsworth, died at 6:20p.m. yesterday in Broewnville General hospital. Mr. Shriner was born May 8, 1885, at Leisenring, No. 2. He had resided in the Ellsworth community the past 50 years and had been employed in area coal mines. He was a member of the Holy Ghost Byzantine Catholic church, Charleroi; UMWA local 197, Cokeburg, and Ellsworth Sportsmen’s association. He was married first to Helen Russin, who died February 8, 1928. He later married Mary Sayniak, who died April 9, 1963. Survivors include six sons, Mike, Ellsworth; John, Vestaburg; Thomas, Cokeburg; Paul, Coal Center, R.D.1;Carl, zyuma, La; and Joseph, Bentleyville; four daughters; Mrs. Mary Belak, Duquesne; Mrs. Ann Breitenbach, Gibsonia; Mrs. Helen Babiak, Monongahela R.D.; Mrs. Susan Procasky, Parma Heights, O.; four step-sons; three step-daughters; 39 grandchildren; and 22 great-grandchildren. A son, George, is deceased.

Children of GEORGE SHRINER and HELEN RUSSIN are:

i. MICHAEL SHRINER, b. September 01, 1907; d. January 1975; m. EDNA MCMICHAEL.

ii. MARY "MARIE" SHRINER, b. July 30, 1910; d. June 21, 1996; m. JOE BELAK.

iii. ANN C. SHRINER, b. March 08, 1912; d. December 21, 1965, Gibsonia, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania; m. RICHARD BREITENBACH; b. 1918; d. June 27, 1974.

Notes for ANN C. SHRINER:
Mrs. Ann C. Shriner Breitenbach
Mrs. Ann C. Shriner Breitenbach of Gibsonia died on Tuesday at her home at 4214 East Ewalt Road. She was the daughter of the late George and Helen Russin Shriner. Survivors include her husband, Richard A. Breitenbach; six brothers, Michael Shriner of Ellsworth, John of Vestaburg, Thomas of Cokeburg, Paul of Coal Center, Carl of Houma, La. and Joseph of Bentleyville; and three sisters, Mrs. Marie Belak of Duquesne, Mrs. Helen Babiak of Monongahela and Mrs. Susan Procasky of Parma Heights, Ohio. Friends are being received at the Freyvogel Sons, Inc. Funeral Home in Pittsburg.

More About ANN C. SHRINER:
Burial: December 24, 1965, Forest Lawn & Gardens Cemetery

More About RICHARD BREITENBACH:
Burial: July 30, 1974, cremated

iv. JOHN SHRINER, b. September 16, 1913, Fort Palmer; d. October 10, 1984; m. VIOLET M RODGERS, November 27, 1932; b. November 08, 1913; d. December 23, 2000.

Notes for JOHN SHRINER:
John Shriner
John Shriner, 71, of Vestaburg was dead on arrival at Brownsville General Hospital at 5:40 p.m. Wednesday, October 10, 1984. He was born September 16, 1913, in Fort Palmer, a son of George and Helen Russin Shriner. He was a member of United Presbyterian Church of Vestaburg, Mr. Shriner was a retired employee of Jones & Laughlin Steel Corp.'s Vesta 5 Mine. He was a member of United Mineworkers Union Local 762 of Vestaburg, the Beth-Center Senior Citizens and the UMW Pensioners Club. On November 27, 1932, he married Violet Rodgers, who survives. Also surviving are two daughters, Patricia Fuller and Elaine Yankura, both of Vestaburg; nine grandchildren; five great-grandchildren ; two sisters, Marie Belack of Dusquense and Susan Prockasky of Parma Heights, Ohio; three brothers, Paul Shriner and Joseph W. Shriner, both of Bentleyville, and Carl Shriner of Humao, La. A daughter, Millie Marie Shriner , a grandson, Dustin Fetsko, two sisters, Ann Britenback and Helen Babiak, and three brothers, Michael, George Jr. and Thomas Shriner, are deceased. Greenlee Funeral Home of Fredericktown is in charge of arrangements, which are incomplete.

More About JOHN SHRINER:
Burial: Beallsville Cemetery, Vestaburg, Pennsylvania

v. GEORGE SHRINER, b. April 15, 1915, Ligonier, West Moreland Co, Pennsylvania; d. June 14, 1958, Washington, Washington Co, Pennsyvania; m. VERONICA; b. 1920.

Notes for GEORGE SHRINER:
George Shriner, Jr.
George Shriner, Jr., 43, of 268 Wood Street, Richeyville, died at 6:35p.m. Saturday, June 14, 1958, in Washington Hospital. Mr. Shriner was born April 15, 1915, in Ligonier. He was a member of St. Agnes R. C. Church and UMWA Local 2399, Richeyville. Surviving are his wife, Veronica A., the following children: Mrs. Tressa Sabatello, Pittsburgh, and Michael, Bernard, Darlene, Georgia, Lenori, Lorrie, Corrine, and Barry all of the home; his father, George Sr., Ellsworth; four sisters, Mrs. Marie Belak, Duquesne; Mrs. Ann Breitenbach, Gibsonia; Mrs. Helen Babiak, Mononogahela, and Mrs. Susan Procasky, Pittsburgh; six brothers, Mike and Paul, both of Ellsworth; John, Vestaburg; Thomas, Cokeburg; Carl, Lake Charles, La., Joseph, Bentleyville; one grandson, Leonardo Sabatello III, Pittsburgh, and one aunt, Mrs. John Popovich, Scenery Hill.

vi. THOMAS HOWARD SHRINER, b. June 10, 1917; d. June 24, 1970; m. ANNA WASHLOCK; b. 1922; d. 1984.

Notes for THOMAS HOWARD SHRINER:
THOMAS H. SHRINER
Thomas H. Shriner. 53, of. 27 Franklin Street, Cokeburg, died unexpectedly at 11:15 p.m. Wednesday, June 24, 1970, while C; at work at Bethlehem Mine No.60. A resident of Cokeburg for the e past 32 years, Mr. Shriner was employed by Bethlehem Steel Co. as an assistant mine foreman. He was a member of St. Joseph R. C. Church in Cokeburg. Surviving are his wife, Anna Washlack Shriner; three sons: Thomas H., Jr., of Foxboro, Mass., and Richard and Joseph E at home; four daughters: Shirly McCombs, of Pittsburgh; Mary Chopp, of Indianapolis, Ind.; Carol Olson; of Columbus, Ohio, and Anna May Shriner, at home; nine grandchildren; five brothers: Michael, of Ellsworth; John, of Vestaburg; Paul, of Coal Center, R. D. 1; Joseph, of Bentleyville, and Carl, of Lake Charles, La.; three sisters: Helen Babiak, of Monongahela, R. D. 2; Marie Bellak, Duquesne, and Susan Procasky, of Berea. Ohio.

vii. PAUL ANDREW SHRINER, b. August 08, 1919, Fairfield Township, Westmoreland Co, Pennsylvania; d. March 07, 2002, Washington, Washington Co, Pennsylvania; m. JUNE ETTA LAMBERT, August 10, 1940, Washington, Washington Co, Pennsylvania; b. June 04, 1921, Coal Center, Washington Co, Pennsylvania; d. February 25, 1995, Chaleroi, Washington Co, Pennsylvania.

Notes for PAUL ANDREW SHRINER:
Paul A. Shriner (Bentleyville)
Paul A. Shriner Sr., 82, of Bentleyville, died at 9:50a.m. Thursday, March 7, 2002, in Washington County Health Center, Washington. He was born Aug. 8, 1919 in Fairfield Township, Westmoreland County, a son of the late George and Helen Rushkin Shriner. Mr. Shriner was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Roscoe. He retired from Bethlehem Mines Corporation Mine 51 in Ellsworth. Surviving are two daughters, Delores Green of Windsor, Mo., and Nancy Robertson of Corcoran, Calif.; one son, Richard Shriner of Bentleyville; one brother, Joseph Shriner of Bentleyville; one sister, Susan Procosky of Cleveland, Ohio; seven grandchildren, Karen Stafford, Daryl Shriner, Michael Carr, Paul Carr, Debbie Cappino, Dorothy Shriner and Donald Shriner; and 10 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife, June Etta Lambert Shriner, who died Feb. 25, 1995; one son, Paul A. Shriner Jr., who died in April [March] 1996; three sisters Helen Babiak, Ann Birtenback, and Marie Bellak; and five brothers, George, John, Thomas Sr., Michael Sr., and Carl Shriner Sr. Friends will be received in the GREENLEE FUNERAL HOME, 619 Main St., Bentleyville, on Friday from 7 to 9p.m. and Saturday from 2 to 4 and 5 to 7p.m. Funeral services will be held at 12:30p.m. Sunday, March 10, in the funeral home with the Rev. David Zona officiating. Interment will be in Maple Creek Cemetery.

More About PAUL ANDREW SHRINER:
Burial: March 10, 2002, Maple Creek Cemetery, Bentleyville, Washington Co, Pennsylvania

viii. HELEN SHRINER, b. September 25, 1921, RD 1 Bolivar, Pennsylvania; d. September 04, 1973, Taylor Run Road, RD2, Monongahela, Pennsylvania; m. FRANK BABIAK; b. March 09, 1914; d. August 22, 1980.

Notes for HELEN SHRINER:
Helen Babiak
Helen Babiak, 53, of Taylor Run Road, RD2, Monongahela, died suddenly at home, Thursday, Oct. 4, 1973 at 12 noon. She was born in RD 1, Bolivar, Pa., Sept. 25, 1920, the daughter of George and Helen Shriner. Mrs. Babiak had lived in this area most of her life and was a member of St. Mary’s R.O. Church of Monongahela. Surviving are her husband, Frank; three sons, Frank Jr., Raymond and Michael all of Monongahela; two daughters, Nancy Beitsinger of Coraopolis, Helen Marie Thomas of Wichita, Kansas; four grandchildren; five brothers, John Shriner of Vestaburg, Paul Shriner of California, Joseph Shriner of Bentleyville, Mike Shriner of Cokeburg; Carl Shriner of Luisana; one sister, Mrs. Mary Bellak of Duquesne. Friends will be received after 2 p.m. Friday at the L. M. Frye Funeral Home, 427 W. Main Street, Monongahela.

Funeral Notices:
Babiak … Helen Babiak, 53, of Taylor Run Road, RD2, Monongahela, died suddenly at home, Thursday, Oct. 4, 1973. Friends will be received after 2 p.m. Friday at the L. M. Frye Funeral Home, 427 W. Main Street, Monongahela. Services in the L. M. Frye Chapel, Saturday, Oct. 6 at 10 a.m. with Rev. Nicholas.

ix. CARL CHARLES SHRINER, b. October 08, 1923; d. July 29, 1991; m. MARIE HARGRAVES.

Notes for CARL CHARLES SHRINER:
Carl Shriner
Carl Charles Shriner Sr., 67, a native and a resident of Bentleyville, Pa., and a resident of Houma, died at 1:50 a.m. today, July 29, 1991. He was a former resident of Lake Charles, and was employed as a tool pusher in the oilfields. Visitation will be Tuesday from 6 to 10p.m. and Wednesday from 8a.m. until funeral time at the Chauvin Funeral Home. A Mass will be said at 2 p.m. at the funeral home chapel with interment in the St. Francis de Sales No.2 Cemetery in Houma. He is survived by his wife, Marie Hargraves Shriner of Houma; three sons, Carl Charles Jr. and Darrall Glenn Shriner, both of Houma and Joseph Granville Shriner of Thibodaux; four daughters, Mrs. David (Marie) Savoy of Iowa, La., Mrs. Ronald (Catherine) Barnett, Beverly Ruth Shriner and Mrs. Kevin (Helen) Scott, all of Houma; two brothers, Paul and Joseph Shriner, both of Bentleyville, Pa.; and one sister, Mrs. Joseph (Marie) Bellak of Duquesne, Pa.; 14 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, George and Helen Rose Shriner; three brothers, Tom, Mike and George Shriner Sr.; and one sister, Ann Shriner. He was a parishioner of Maria Immacolata Catholic Church and a World War II veteran.

More About CARL CHARLES SHRINER:
Burial: St. Francis De Sales #2, Houma, LA

x. JOSEPH SHRINER, b. June 27, 1927; m. ANN NEMETH, October 26, 1946; b. May 26, 1930; d. May 11, 1988.

More About ANN NEMETH:
Burial: Beallsville Cemetery, Vestaburg, Pennsylvania

Child of GEORGE SHRINER and MARY SENAK is:
xi. SUSAN SHRINER, b. Aft. 1933; m. EDWIN PROCASKY; d. April 11, 2009.

Views: 1177

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Good observation. I know when one does the search it comes up with a note saying that the two card don't go together. When I forward it to family I just forward the front. I need to get some time to go to the library again and see if I can find the back of his card. It's hard to go to library because I take care of my mother-in-law she lives with us and has Parkinson.

Julie
Yes Joe and Susan are still alive. I don't know Joe, but I will try to conact him or his daughter. Don't know how long this will take -- my mother-in-law went into the hospital lastnight and I have a lot to do with the doctors right now.

Aunt Sue wrote "My dad was NOT tall. He was about 5'8" inches. He had brown eyes and dark brown hair when he had hair. He was mostly bald." She was born Nov. 26, 1933.

I'm also sending out an email to my Shriner contacts to see if any of them recall how tall he was.

Julie
Thank you -- need all the prayers we can get. Trying to work on this to keep my mind of the negative things that life brings. although some research leads to a lot of depressing things like find a gravesite for a baby or toddler -- I just don't know how I would make it through that.

Family says that Mike and Mary Russin never immigrated. I know from Helen's sister Mary's 1930 cenus posted below that Mary and John Popovich would have gotten married in Czecholvakia because married in 1913 and didn't come to the United States until 1921. It also tells that all 5 kids where born in Pennsyvania.

Julie

P.S yes, "Michael William Carr 1996," is mine -- very out dated. Do you know if there is a way to update it. I put that up when I first started research have found more stuff since.
Attachments:
I've signed in but the tree doesn't show should I just post another one and keep the information so I can update when need be.

Julie
Here's the updated George Shriner tree.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=georg...

Julie
This is what my mother-in-law had to say when I was having her write stories she remembered -- I added so too it.

George Shriner’s parent
My father’s grandparents

1) I never knew these people. In fact, there names are even unknown at this time. If I remember correctly, they never came to the United States.

Helen Russin’s parents
My father’s grandparents

2) I never knew these people either; however, there names were past down as Mike and Mary Russin. They were either from Czechoslovakia or Austria, and again never came to the United States. There were children, who came over Helen (of course) and Mary. I do slightly remember my grandma’s sister. Her last name I believe was Popovich, but I don’t remember her first name. Thanks to my duaghter-in-law organizing my paperwork I have, I am able to include her obituary here.

Mary Rosen Popovich
Mary Rosen Popovich, 97, of Scenery Hill, formerly of Eighty Four R.D.2, died at 9:05p.m. Sunday May 6, 1990, in her home following a lengthy illness. At the time of her death, Mrs. Popovich was the oldest resident of Scenery Hill, having lived there since 1951. She was born January 1, 1893, in Czechosvakia, a daughter of Mike and Mary Rosen. She was a homemaker. Mrs. Popovich was a member of St. Nicholas Orthodox Greek Catholic Church of Monongahela. On February 13, 1913, she married John Popovich, who died November 1, 1965. Surviving are three daughters, Julia Popovich at home, Mrs. John (Helen) Nester of Scenery Hill, and Mrs. James (Mary) Levers of Meadow Lands; two sons, Mike Popovich of Scenery Hill and John Popovich of Phoenix, Ariz.; six grandchildren, six great-grandchildren and several nieces and nephews. She was the last surviving member of her immediate family.

George and Helen (Russin) Shriner
My father’s parents

George Shriner

1) George Shriner was born on May 15, 1886 at Leisenring No. 2. George Shriner’s birth date is listed as May 08, 1885 in obituary. The date listed above is from the Social Security index. He was a coalminer and farmer. He died on Nov 1964 at Brownsville, Fayette Co, Pennsylvania.

George Shriner
George Shriner, 79, of 82 Elm Street, Ellsworth, died at 6:20p.m. yesterday in Broewnville General hospital. Mr. Shriner was born May 8, 1885, at Leisenring, No. 2. He had resided in the Ellsworth community the past 50 years and had been employed in area coal mines. He was a member of the Holy Ghost Byzantine Catholic church, Charleroi; UMWA local 197, Cokeburg, and Ellsworth Sportsmen’s association. He was married first to Helen Russin, who died February 8, 1928. He later married Mary Sayniak, who died
April 9, 1963. Survivors include six sons, Mike, Ellsworth; John, Vestaburg; Thomas, Cokeburg; Paul, Coal Center, R.D.1;Carl, zyuma, La; and Joseph, Bentleyville; four daughters; Mrs. Mary Belak, Duquesne; Mrs.Ann Breitenbach, Gibsonia; Mrs. Helen Babiak, Monongahela R.D.; Mrs. Susan Procasky, Parma Heights, O.; four step-sons; three step-daughters; 39 grandchildren; and 22 great-grandchildren. A son, George, is deceased.

2) Helen Rose Russin on 1888 at Czechoslovakia. She died on February 08, 1928 at Washington Co, Pennsylvania. George and Helen Shriner came to America to get away from World War I.

Times we shared:
Grandpap George Shriner -- Every time he came to visit he’d say “Here is a nickle from Granpop.” I remember knowing he was coming because I could smell his pipe. He lived in a double house in Ellsworth, Pennsylvania. We would visit him, maybe once a month sometime twice if we were lucky, because my dad was always working. When he wasn’t in the coalmines, he was on a farm working, or trying to get things done around the house --gardens, etc.
I know my Aunt Sue and mother-in-law has always said that they came over. Aunt Sue emailed the following on 30 Sept 2009 "I realize you have a lot of info from my dad's obit. I think he was younger than 79 at his death and I still have questions about where he was born. I would so much love to know. I find it hard to understand he was born his; but his brother John Evon came from Austria-Hungary. John Evon changed his name from Shriner to Evon to excape the army in Austria. That has been my understanding, no way to prove it."

I can't remember if I posted John Evon's 1920 and 1930 census, so I will post here.
Attachments:
I have found the following obit on Michael's son Goerge -- it states "the son of the late Michael Joseph and Edna McMichael Shriner"

George D. Shriner

George D. Shriner, 65, of Harrisburg, PA died Thursday, June 25, 2009 at Harrisburg Hospital.
Mr. Shriner was born in Ellsworth, PA., on August 31, 1943, the son of the late Michael Joseph and Edna McMichael Shriner and was also preceded in death by his son, David G. Shriner. He was an engineer with TMI and a member of the American Legion, Post 109, Mechanicsburg and President of the Cherrington Condo Association. Mr. Shriner was an Army Veteran.
Survivors include: Wife Jean R. Shriner of Harrisburg, PA; Daughter Jeannie L. Shriner of Carlisle, PA.; Daughter Colette M. Shriner and life partner Shannon of Harrisburg, PA; Daughter Dana A. (Shriner) Velkoff and husband Andrew of Highspire; Sister-Rose Speigel of Walkersville, MD.
Funeral service will be held Wednesday, July 1, 2009 at 11:30 am in the Jesse H. Geigle Funeral Home, Inc., 2100 Linglestown Road, Harrisburg with the Rev. David T. Willard officiating. A viewing will be held in the funeral home Wednesday, July 1, 2009 from 10:30 AM until 11:30 AM. Burial with full Military Honors will be held in Indiantown Gap National Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorial donations may be made to Humane Society of Harrisburg Area, Inc., 7790 Grayson Road, Harrisburg, PA 17111. Geigle

Published in Patriot-News on June 27, 2009

http://obits.pennlive.com/obituaries/pennlive/obituary.aspx?n=georg...
I've thought about the family not being intact, the family say they have not heard of any of the family being separated.

In fact in a chat I had with Helen (Shriner) Babiak's daughter on 26 Sept 2009 "As far as the kids go I am sure they would not of separted them since there were older kids to take care of each other. Unless they had a family member to stay with the kids. I would think that they lived on a farm so he would need the kids to help on the farm."

I emailed myself copies of the chats when we were done. I'm so glad I did this cause there was information I would have lost if I didn't.

I'm also working on organizing all the info I have including emails that has came in in the last few days -- there's a lot and if I don't get it organized I'll have problems. i've also downloaded a free PDFCreator that has helped me in my organizing situation.

I can't wait until the SSI application comes in. Hopefully it will have some answers.

Julie Carr

P.S I've gotten 2 responses on how tall George Shriner was. His daughter wrote that he was about 5 feet 8 inches and One granddaughter wrote that he was about 5 feet 7. Pretty close in comparison, since coming from a memory that would have to be at least 45 years old.

Another cousin Pat Babiak -- husband is Helen (Shriner) Babiak's son emailed me on 12 Oct 2009 "My husband Frank said that Uncle Joe might have been born in Ellsworth pa"
I am trying to work on getting both death certificate for George and Helen, but right now I'm waiting on the SSI record to see what it says.

Pennsylvania is one of the harder states to get death certificates.

http://users.rcn.com/timarg/PaHR-Access.htm

but am saving up for these two items

Julie

P.S Thanks for the info above it is very interesting
I've been organizing my information and putting it into Werelate -- please see the following page which links to the rest of the family.

http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:George_Shriner_%281%29
Thinking out loud....

I'm posting this just for reference in that there were Russin family immigrating at around the time George and Helen would have been. I wonder if any of them are family. But I have a lot of questions to answer before I'll know that. I only know that Helen had a sister named Mary, who married John Popovich -- that's not to say there aren't other brothers and sister. I know that Mary was mentioned as an Aunt in Helen's child's Obituary, and no one else, but that could mean the other uncles and aunts had already died or there wasn't any. Lots of questions, but I did the search just to see how many Russin born in Austria was here in 1920.

Surname Given Name Age Sex Race Birthplace State County Location Year

RUSSIN ALEX 44 M W AUST PA CLEARFIELD BECCARIA 1920
RUSSIN GEORGE 42 M W AUST NJ MIDDLESEX 6-WD; PERTH AMBOY 1920
RUSSIN HELLEN 35 F W AUST PA LACKAWANNA 3-WD OLYPHANT 1920
RUSSIN JOE 42 M W AUST IL COOK 35-WD CHICAGO 1920
RUSSIN MARY 31 F W AUST PA ALLEGHENY 3-WD PITTSBURGH 1920
RUSSIN MIKE 32 M W AUST PA SOMERSET BROTHERSVALLEY 1920
RUSSIN NICHOLAS 53 M W AUST PA BUTLER BUTLER 1920
RUSSIN STEVE 26 M W AUST PA LUZERNE JENKINS 1920
RUSSIN WALACE 40 M W AUST PA BUTLER BUTLER 1920
RUSSIN WM 29 M W AUST IL COOK 27-WD CHICAGO 1920

HeritageQuest Online

There's also a Russin family living in Westmoreland Cunty, Pa marked has born in Hung --

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service