Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

John O'Connell
1900 Census
Enumeration District 138, Supervisors District 5, Sheet 10A
Sandy Hill Village, Kingsbury Town, Washington County, NY
7 Mill Street
John is head of house, M, W, born Nov 1857, age 42, widowed, born in NY, both parents born in NY, he is Grinder at the Pulp Mill.
Also in the house are:
Elizabeth, daughter, F, W, b. Sept 1880, age 19, single, born in NJ, parents born in NY.
Dennis, son, M, W, b. Nov 1882, age 17, single, born in NY, parents born in NY, he is a day laborer.
John W, son, M, W, b. Apr 1885, age 15, single, born in NY, parents born in NY, he is a laborer.
Daniel, son, M, W, b. Apr 1887, age 12, single, born in NY, parents born in NY, he is at school.
Kate, daughter, F, W, b. Dec 1888, age 11, single, born in NY, parents born in NY, she is at school.
Mary, daughter, F, W, b. Dec 1893, age 6, single, born in NY, parents born in NY.
1910 Census (very hard to read)
Enumeration District 109, Supervisors District 6, sheet 9A
Hudson Falls Village, Kingsbury Township, Washington County, NY
John is head of house, M, W, age 52, widowed, born in Ireland, parents born in Ireland, he is a laborer at the pulp mill.
Also in the house are:
Mrs. Hattie Langdon, daughter, F, W, age 30, Married, born in NJ, parents born in Ireland. (she had been married for 11 years)
Fred Langdon, son in law, M, W, age 35, Married, born in NJ, parents born in Ireland.
Dan, son, M, W, age 22, single, born NY, parents born in Ireland, operator in bag mill.

Burial information:
John died 26 Sept 1931 and is buried in St Paul's/St Mary's Cemetery in Hudson Falls, NY. He was 73 years old. This has been confirmed with Dorothy at St Paul's/St Mary's Church through the listing of his wife Bridget Curran (who is not buried there) on his records. Also buried here are his son John W, and his wife Beatrice. Daughter Hattie, and son Dennis. There are a total of 5 O'Connells buried here, Marie is the last one (I have not been able to place her in the family yet). They have no other records on this family. They did find it odd that there are Irish buried in this French cemetery.

I have been trying to get a copy of death records for any of them through Kingsbury Town Hall, unfortunately, I never get an answer on the phone. I will continue to try that way and via email.
I have not been able to find John in the 1880 Census (he should have been in NJ, which is where his daughters were born that year) and have a few possibilities for earlier census records, but need to have more family information on him before making a guess as to which he really is.

I have also spoke to Our Lady of Mt Carmel Church in Granville, NY, which is where Bridget O'Connell (John's wife is buried). The only other information they have is their son Dennis baptismal information. The only thing they could tell me is that Bridget might have a sister named Catherine, but they are not positive. She was listed on something they have.

I have tried calling the town records to try and order a copy of John's death certificate and still get no answer. I have also emailed the host of Washington County Genweb to see if there is another # I can call and have not heard back from. I need to email again, I have not done this yet.

I have emailed the Washington County Historical Society and they have no further information on this family.

What I would really like to find out is where John was really born, NY or Ireland? Who were his parents and siblings?
Any suggestions are welcome.

Views: 342

Replies to This Discussion

I did see the city listings. I need to get to the library to see if they have access. I can only look as to what the Family Search Holds. We have a few great Genealogy Libraries that I an check out and hopefully they will have them.

I guess that makes sense on ordering Marie's death certificate. Didn't really think that one through. Will try to see if I can locate any marriage records too.

As for the cemetery inquiry, they did not have much info. The church that the cemetery originally belonged to burned down many years ago and the church across the street acquired the cemetery. They have the "books" with all the listings, but she only had sparse information. I should call again to double check what they have on her.
I have been trying to find this census page and have not been able to. Can you direct me to where you looked it up. I paged through ancestry.com Rensselaer County and had no luck.

From an index I found death information on John's daughter, Mary Herring, her living relative was listed as son Ed. Cheney. So, this is looking like it fits.
Been busy with other things and have not had a chance to look into yet. Might be a bit before I can. I will try the historian though! Will keep you updated as I find things out.

Terri
I sent email to historical society and got a response that unfortunately they have no information on the family.

I have not ordered death certificate for John yet, this has been a rough year and I had to cut costs within my research.

I do have a trip planned within the next few weeks to go and meet the cousin I talked about in earlier notes in this string. I am also going to the cemetery where John and the other O'Connell family members are buried. I am going to look into the local libraries there as well (if time permits) it is a quick trip I am making through there and have so much to do.

I appreciate all the hints and help I have received here!
Terri
Think I found John's death certificate on ancestry.com today. I followed a few leads from someone else who gave me baptismal information. I did not want to add them to my main tree because I have no real proof it is correct info. Anyhow, once I started this new tree and add this info, I found a death record in Fair Haven, NY, date of death is exact. No wife listed though, and I know Marie is still living at this point. With this info, I returned to the census records of 1930 and found John and Marie in Fair Haven. All the dates seem to come together. I am really hoping this is it and I have the right family.

Will keep this updated as I find more info.
Attachments:

Someone was kind enough to go to the library for me in VT and I now have the obit for John. I was excited to learn that John had half siblings and I have been in contact with descendants of his sister Alice. Sad to say, she did not have any information on John. She did have a little bit of info on his Dad, Denis O'Connell, at one point, Denis was living in Minersville, NY. Other than that, all she knew is that he died before 1900.

As always, I will update this when I find more information.

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service