Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Start by telling us about yourself, your family history, your genealogy interests, and the current focus of your genealogy research.

Views: 19333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome Kerry, hope you find what your looking for, sounds like you are taking the right classes ! DNA also can be beneficial ! 

I am an absolute beginner when it comes to DNA but did have mine tested last year through Ancestry. The results indicate I have a genetic connection to the early settlers of New England and Montérégie, Québec, French Settlers. Cool, even if overwhelming.

Congrats on your excellent choices!

I'm just finishing up the Social Media Tools for the Wise Genealogist course, and am about to begin Methodology 2. I started researching my family over 20 years ago, and have loved the "hunt." Very few records were available for the part of Slovakia I was researching, so I was lucky to find the town's church records, going back to the early 1700s, had been filmed by the LDS Church!  I also research family in Mecklenburg, Germany, and Liverpool, Ireland, and Scotland. 

I live in New York's Hudson Valley, and am fascinated by it's history. Although my own ancestors did not enter this country until 1892, I love searching nearby for records for others.  I think of genealogy as looking at history through a microscope - learning about the people, not just the events that shaped history. 

Hi, I live in Richmond, British Columbia but am originally from Winnipeg. My Dad was born in the Netherlands and came to Canada when he was 5. I have been able to research my Dutch ancestors back to the 1700's....Woerlee, Kloosterman, van den Hoek and Wijnhoven are the main lines. In Canada on my mother's side I have been able to go back 16 generations to the 1600's when my ancestors came over from France to settle Quebec, then travelled west as fur traders and settled in Manitoba. My main lines are Boyer, Lavallee, delaronde and Chartrand in Manitoba. I have had my DNA tested and have had lots of matches....now I need time to follow up all of the leads.

I have been working on my family history for almost 50 years now. Of course I have lots of brick walls but from time to time get a new lead....very exciting.

Hello from Susan Dzialo Hazelquist!

I recently joined and am working on my family ancestors tree and will have it made into a book through “My Canvas.”

They produce a beautiful book!

i was wondering if anyone knows how to access records containing ancestors that were accomplished ballerina dancers in the 1920’s and 30’s?  My Grand Aunt lived in the Chicago Illinois area.  Her name is Mildred LaVoy, my grandmother’s sister on my fathers side.

if anyone knows anything about this please I need your help??

thank you!!

Susan Dzialo Hazelquist 

I was 5 years old and my grandmother was visited by the local Mennonite church to update the families, one of the many things I learned from her, the family is important.  I am 70 now and still hear things she said.  Her father was Mennonite but chose to serve in the Civil War, his farm was on the mason Dixion Line and he chose North, survived was captured and released but was in until the war was over.  My grandmother said he was the kindest person she ever knew.

I have been interested since then and still work 2 to 3 hours a day, it is so amazing to read something and for a fleeting moment it comes to life.

Anything I can do to help or maybe something you can offer me I am interested.

Rice, Shank, Boward, Bingaman and on and on.

Don Rice ritelpa@live.com

My Dad would pull out the encyclopedia whenever I had an assignment that had anything to do with family.  He would start reading about people in Quebec with our last name and also his paternal grandmother.  Then he would say, "did you write that down".  Dad was bedridden before he died in his early 60's.  If he knew I was going to the Los Angeles Family History Center now Library, he would be so excited when I visited all day Saturday.  My parents would discuss which family was here the earliest.  My Dad would say Thelma come listen to this "my family was here before your family".  I became interested in the stories he told me that I wondered if they were true.  This along with finding my maternal grandmother's father started my genealogy journey.  I have never stopped.

I am a child of the world, by that I mean I have so many different nationalities.  My Mom called us Heinz 57.  Right now I am researching Nothern Mexico, Breslau Germany (Poland), and some Palatines in NC & NY.  I also like researching soldiers. 

We have volunteered at a Family History Center since the 1990s.

Sandy

Hi Sandra,

I'm in NY's Hudson Valey, close to where the East Camp and West Camp Palatines settled in Ulster and Columbia Counties.  I'm in the archives often. Let me know if you need anything looked up here!

Marny Janson

Hello to everyone at Genealogy Wise,

I am Anna Barger married to my Husband of 44 years; Live in Neustadt, Ontario Canada.

My husband's knowledge of his family history was very limited so about 15 years ago I decided to find my husbands family. Bought a new computer and never looked back. Along the way I gained and found more knowledge about my husbands family. He was not aware of any of his aunts or uncles on the Barger side. I started on a old site, and there I met some of his family and was able to get some family info. And! my search was on its way ;Today I have close to 900 hundred people on our family tree  site, However I am at a road block, My Husbands great Grandfather is Joseph Barger born 1820 as per census born in Germany, Married Hannah Geiger they had 8 children. I found 3 of them however am at a loss as to where the other 5 children went . I can't find where Joseph lived before settling in Vaughn Township , York County, Ontario Canada where he had all 8 children.

I noted that there are so many Barger families in the USA however trying to connect and find how we may be related is a huge challenge. If I  find who Joseph's father is it may put me in the right direction. 

Due to some health issues I had to stop research for a few years and now am eager to complete my projects for my Granddaughter.  I also started a family tree for my Wowk side of the family tree, which takes me to Ukraine and that is a big challenge . I don't have any degrees in research just long hours and learning on my way.

Maybe I will meet people on this site that can help and am hoping I can help in return.

Regards Anna Barger

I have been researching the Reedman family for many years and now have a documented main paternal line that goes back to Christopher Reedman, who was baptised in Barrowden, Rutland in 1595. The history now has thousands of entries that span the UK, Australia and Canada and I enjoy a great network of fellow researchers both in the UK and in the countries to which the family emigrated. I am now beginning the long task of putting together the Reedman One-Name Study, as well as continuing my studies with Pharos, aimed at professional Genealogist certification.

I am a volunteer genealogy researcher with the Here In The Past Project in Brighton and Hove, UK and am currently leading work related to the life stories of the pupils who passed through the Warren Farm Industrial School in Rottingdean, which was part of the Brighton Poor Law Union.  

Attachments:

Good morning!  My name is John Meng-Frecker.  Meng is my wife's surname and Frecker is mine.  Her paternal side is Meng and her maternal side is Witherspoon.  My paternal side is Frecker and my maternal side is Flood.  We hyphenated both our last names in 1981, unusual for then.  I am researching all four of these surnames and building unique family trees which you can see at https://familytreetops.com  My approach to a new design (instead of horizontal or vertical layout) is to examine family trees from the top!  I use a circular format and date rings radiating from great grandparents in the center.  The center is the trunk of the tree and branches are families who grow outward from great grands. These are descendant trees including living family members (for personal use). Cousins from related families appear adjacent to each other.  Children can see how they are related to their first cousins on the outer branches of the tree. With this format I can fit a family tree on an 18" x 18" square up to 26" x 26" square (or larger).  The rings identify decades.  What is interesting is setting my maternal tree next to my paternal tree.  As I push them closer together I can see the intersection of respective date rings and the relationship by marriage of more cousins.  Contemporary cousins are found along a modern date ring.  I call this the "confluence of modern time".  More about that on my blog at https://familytreetops.com/looking-down-at-genealogy/

Attachments:

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service