Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Start by telling us about yourself, your family history, your genealogy interests, and the current focus of your genealogy research.

Views: 16564

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello, I've been researching family history and genealogy for about 10 years. I made the mistake of picking first the SUMNER surname of my mother's real father; she was adopted and raised by a CUPP family. All I recalled her saying about her father was "He's from Missouri and his mother was Fanny TREMAIN." I should have started with a family that had more research done so I could check myself against census records and other facts as I went along, but oh well. I did discover the wonderful online message boards where I came across several knowledgeable as well as generous cousins. When I seemed not to be getting anywhere very fast on my own, however, I went back to my husband's TATUM, REED, EDWARDS, DRAKE, HANNA and related families which are in some cases pretty well-researched and started with what his mother had given him: a small, battered manila folder with some newspaper clippings, an old funeral program, a few genealogy charts, and several old documents that turned out to be original indenture papers for one ancestor. This got me going very well as it turned out. Then I worked at my childrens' father's family information as it was well-done and I learned how to read descendancy charts, family group sheets, etc. Then I got Family Treemaker. After that I started back on the SUMNERS by doing library research and ordering census records and family maps via InterLibraryLoan. Also read many books and bought a few. "Who's Your Hoosier?" is one of my favorites. Then became interested in DNA research (I had studied DNA and RNA in Jr. High BSCS Biology in the 60s but never dreamed that the Human Genome would be mapped in my lifetime) and got my husband involved in the TATUM Y-DNA PROJECT at FTDNA, where I tested as well. It's all addictive, and I have learned more about the US and its history from genealogy and DNA research than I ever learned in school. Now I've been tackling Scandinavian research in order to learn more of my father's family in Norway.

Welcome to GenealogyWise Paulette!

Thanks! I hope I wasn't too much of a gabber...

Where your Sumner be from ? I have a few in Kentucky and Oklahoma. 

My ancestor Samuel Sumner was born in North Carolina abt. 1786. He married Sarah Jane Clark b. abt. 1789 NC. They did live in Kentucky for a while, I think Floyd County, KY.

I've only traced back to 1848, Williamsburg, Whitley County, Kentucky, Nathniel Sumner and his wife Martha Meadors. Any connection ? They were off on a "side branch" in my tree so nothing shows in my Ancestry Autosomal DNA test for their names. 

Wow, you get surnames from your ancestry autosomal DNA tests? That's cool. I don't have any Nathaniel Sumner or Martha Meadors, sorry.

I am an amateur genealogist living in Minnesota.  The surnames that I am researching are Westphal/Hall/Salfer/Niederegger and Neubert/McHugh/McCann.

I am currently focusing on the Irish line that originated in County Armagh, and possibly County Cork.  Both families immigrated to Wisconsin, and eventually moved to Minnesota.

I am new to this site, and looking forward to learning from others who are on the same journey of uncovering and telling the stories of our ancestors.

I am researching the Anderson part of my family, min morsfarfarfar.  I need information about my great great grandfather Verner Anderson.  His son, my great grand father is buried in Odensaker parish by Skovde in 1945.  He is buried under Verner Anderson.  He was born in 1861.  I am interested in finding out where and when his father and mother were born and I can't seem to get through to that part of my genealogy.  Can anyone help? Tack.

Both my great grandfather, I think are buried under Verner Anderson.  My great grandfather was really Nicholas Verner Anderson.  After this father died, he started using Verner Anderson.  That is why he is buried in Odensaker Parish near Skovde as Verner Anderson.  Verner, Jr.'s father died either 1905 or 1915.  Some people believe he is the Warner Anderson from Tanum born in 1823 but I'm not so sure.  That Verner was married in 1848 and that would make him 38 years old when my great grandfather was born??? It gets confusing in the early 1800's because that is when the King said no more "dotters" just "sons",  Genealogy was getting too confusing when Anders Pettersson's son last name became Anderson. Does anyone know how I can figure all of this out? Thanks for any help.

My name is Linda Berry, maiden name Davis. I am trying to trace the Davis family in Michigan, the Gagnon family in Michigan and Quebec Canada, and the Peacock family in Michigan

My Davis family is from Michigan.    My dad, Alva Weagar Davis, was born in White Oak, Ingham County, MI.   His father, Charles Clark Davis, was born in Ann Arbor. 

RSS

Members

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Nat Ins for Genealogical Studies.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service