Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Start by telling us about yourself, your family history, your genealogy interests, and the current focus of your genealogy research.

Views: 19333

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was born and live in south west Sweden in the province of Halland. My roots are in Halland, western Småland, Västergötland, Östergötland, Södermanland, Närke and Gotland. Several relatives moved to the United States. I have been doing genealogy research and family history since 1998. I like to visit the places where my relatives have lived and to take photgraphs of at least the churches.

Hello,

I could use help, as I have only been involved in this research for a few months.  I have found some amazing facts!  I have ancestors including Princess Diana, Prince Charles, Winston Churchill, and others.  I'm blown away!  I am constantly researching the following surnames and could use any help: Dudley, Morrisette, Morgan, Hicks, Harris (de Herrize, Herries), Bell (Yorkshire, England), Bullfinch, Darnley, Rimes, and a few others.  Thanks.

Hello, I could use some experienced help here.  I have established direct ancestry to a John Sutton IV, Baron of Dudley in England, 1461.  John was George Washington's 8th great-grandfather.  John's mother was a a Constance Blount, married to Sir John V Dudley early 1400's.  Sir John IV was my direct ancestor (gr. grandfather about 18 generations back on my mom's dad's side).  Where my head starts to hurt is when I have to find a name for my relationship to George Washington.  Can anyone help me there?  Please email me at hpat936@yahoo, com, because I have trouble remembering what I posted on what website!

Hello. I'm new to this website. I have done genealogy research for over three years on my Woodley ancestry. Which has taken me to Britain ,Australia ,United States , and as well Canada .

Hi all. My name is Mary and I have been researching my family history for about 2 years or so. I have a couple of brick walls I would like to break through and hope to do so eventually.

I currently live in NJ with my daughter but my family is from NYC - mostly within the outer boroughs.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to join. I got my start in genealogy four years ago after my father passed away. When going through his belongings I discovered a box with a large collection of very old family photographs and some old family documents. I knew from early childhood that the photographs existed but never knew what happened to them after my grandmother passed away. Needless to say, finding them was an uplift after losing my dad. One of the documents found in the collection was a beautiful sight to see, it was a hand written marriage license of my great grandparents that listed their wedding date and place, all of their children, their parents , their grand parents with birth and death information. I soon realized that I was holding a very important piece of paper in my hands.

After a coupe of years of research, I figured out that my 4th great grandfather was James Lacey of Elizabethton, Carter, TN., his father was Philemon Lacey Jr. of McMinn, TN. and his father was Philemon Lacey Sr. of Chatham County, NC.

Any help extending my Lacey family line would be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone!

New to the site, relatively new to genealogy and happy to have found this genealogywise. I've been doing research off and on, mostly off, for about a year now. I've done a DNA test, I'm on ancestry, family search, and GEDMatch.

I hope to connect with distant and maybe not so distant relatives to share information, photos, histories. I love hearing from folks so even if it ends up we aren't related we could end up friends and you can never have enough of those!!

Take Care,

Sheila

Welcome Sheila!

Hello, I've been researching family history and genealogy for about 10 years. I made the mistake of picking first the SUMNER surname of my mother's real father; she was adopted and raised by a CUPP family. All I recalled her saying about her father was "He's from Missouri and his mother was Fanny TREMAIN." I should have started with a family that had more research done so I could check myself against census records and other facts as I went along, but oh well. I did discover the wonderful online message boards where I came across several knowledgeable as well as generous cousins. When I seemed not to be getting anywhere very fast on my own, however, I went back to my husband's TATUM, REED, EDWARDS, DRAKE, HANNA and related families which are in some cases pretty well-researched and started with what his mother had given him: a small, battered manila folder with some newspaper clippings, an old funeral program, a few genealogy charts, and several old documents that turned out to be original indenture papers for one ancestor. This got me going very well as it turned out. Then I worked at my childrens' father's family information as it was well-done and I learned how to read descendancy charts, family group sheets, etc. Then I got Family Treemaker. After that I started back on the SUMNERS by doing library research and ordering census records and family maps via InterLibraryLoan. Also read many books and bought a few. "Who's Your Hoosier?" is one of my favorites. Then became interested in DNA research (I had studied DNA and RNA in Jr. High BSCS Biology in the 60s but never dreamed that the Human Genome would be mapped in my lifetime) and got my husband involved in the TATUM Y-DNA PROJECT at FTDNA, where I tested as well. It's all addictive, and I have learned more about the US and its history from genealogy and DNA research than I ever learned in school. Now I've been tackling Scandinavian research in order to learn more of my father's family in Norway.

Welcome to GenealogyWise Paulette!

Thanks! I hope I wasn't too much of a gabber...

Where your Sumner be from ? I have a few in Kentucky and Oklahoma. 

RSS

Members

© 2024   Created by IIGSExecDirector.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service