Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Start by telling us about yourself, your family history, your genealogy interests, and the current focus of your genealogy research.

Views: 16226

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome Aboard, Emie!

I hope you have an exciting journey through time as you search for your ancestors.

I am researching family names Kelley, Butler, Broderick, and Cronin.  They all lived in Cincinnati, OH from mid 1800s to present, and probably all came from Ireland before that.  I have a fair amount of data on the American side, but precious little from Ireland.  Hoping to find connections that might lead me back to Ireland.

Sounds like fun Kevin, have you also done DNA ? And put on free site gedmatch.com. Sometimes it helps. Happy Hunting ! 

I'm new to the field of Genealogy.  My interest started when researching my mothers family,  We were searching for ancestors that fought in the American Revolution so we could join the Sons and Daughters of the American Revolution Society.  I'm now interested in researching my father's side of the family (he's from Ireland).  I'm also interested in research on Canadian United Empire Loyalists.  Looking forward to connecting with everyone!

Welcome !  Yes my some day list also includes documentation to join the daughters of the American Revolution Society. Its tough finding correct documentation. Good luck finding roots !

Hello, my name is Kerry Atkins, a retired HR generalist from Connecticut. I started dabbling in family research about 20 years ago and recently committed to doing a genealogy do-over, which, for me, means investing in my genealogy education and putting what I learn to practical use.

In February, I enrolled in the American Records certificate program at NIGS and have completed Methodology 1 & 2. I am now taking Social Media for the Wise Genealogist. Previously, I took the Genealogy Essentials course at Boston University. I also belong to genealogical societies in and around New England and volunteer on preservation projects when I can.

The focus of my research project is my paternal Ferguson line in Slate Valley, a small area along the Vermont-New York border. My ancestors were among a diverse group of French-Canadians, Welsh, Irish, and Italians to migrate to the Valley to find work in the slate quarries. Other surnames of interest are Douglass, Duprey, Dwire, Shambeau, Ackley, Capron, St. John, and Smith.

Like others, I too am looking forward to getting to know everyone and hope to connect soon!

Welcome Kerry, hope you find what your looking for, sounds like you are taking the right classes ! DNA also can be beneficial ! 

I am an absolute beginner when it comes to DNA but did have mine tested last year through Ancestry. The results indicate I have a genetic connection to the early settlers of New England and Montérégie, Québec, French Settlers. Cool, even if overwhelming.

Congrats on your excellent choices!

I'm just finishing up the Social Media Tools for the Wise Genealogist course, and am about to begin Methodology 2. I started researching my family over 20 years ago, and have loved the "hunt." Very few records were available for the part of Slovakia I was researching, so I was lucky to find the town's church records, going back to the early 1700s, had been filmed by the LDS Church!  I also research family in Mecklenburg, Germany, and Liverpool, Ireland, and Scotland. 

I live in New York's Hudson Valley, and am fascinated by it's history. Although my own ancestors did not enter this country until 1892, I love searching nearby for records for others.  I think of genealogy as looking at history through a microscope - learning about the people, not just the events that shaped history. 

Hi, I live in Richmond, British Columbia but am originally from Winnipeg. My Dad was born in the Netherlands and came to Canada when he was 5. I have been able to research my Dutch ancestors back to the 1700's....Woerlee, Kloosterman, van den Hoek and Wijnhoven are the main lines. In Canada on my mother's side I have been able to go back 16 generations to the 1600's when my ancestors came over from France to settle Quebec, then travelled west as fur traders and settled in Manitoba. My main lines are Boyer, Lavallee, delaronde and Chartrand in Manitoba. I have had my DNA tested and have had lots of matches....now I need time to follow up all of the leads.

I have been working on my family history for almost 50 years now. Of course I have lots of brick walls but from time to time get a new lead....very exciting.

Hello from Susan Dzialo Hazelquist!

I recently joined and am working on my family ancestors tree and will have it made into a book through “My Canvas.”

They produce a beautiful book!

i was wondering if anyone knows how to access records containing ancestors that were accomplished ballerina dancers in the 1920’s and 30’s?  My Grand Aunt lived in the Chicago Illinois area.  Her name is Mildred LaVoy, my grandmother’s sister on my fathers side.

if anyone knows anything about this please I need your help??

thank you!!

Susan Dzialo Hazelquist 

RSS

Members

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Nat Ins for Genealogical Studies.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service