Genealogy Wise

The Genealogy & Family History Social Network

Start by telling us about yourself, your family history, your genealogy interests, and the current focus of your genealogy research.

Views: 16220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi everyone. My name is Jay Martin, and have been working on my family history for quite a few years, and have a cousin who is really into it big time. I recently submitted my DNA to FTDNA to help us get over a road block due to Ohio fires in the early 1800's at the places records were kept, consequently ending our research past 1800. Now we are hoping to link up with Martins already in the FTDNA data base. I'm about 90% sure of who that will be, by the proximity of family locations, and the use of the same first names. Eagerly awaiting the results.
Hello All! I'm Lizzie Stagner K. I have been interested in genealogy and family history for quite some time. My great-grandmother shared many interesting family stories and family tree facts with me. My grandmother gifted me with many old family photos. I cherish all that they passed on to me. I love history so it has been great discovering my own ancestor's roles in the history of the USA. My STAGNER family is not connected to the STAGNER family that most others are researching. In a way it has made it harder but it also has been fun to dig for everything on my own. My STAGNER family was in York Co, PA as early as 1753. From PA they moved to VA, OH, IL, MO and TX. My Texas family roots go back to DeWitt Colony Texas. My 4th great-grandfather was Moses BAKER. His son Isaac BAKER was a Gonzales Ranger and member of the Gonzales Alamo Relief Force who died in the Alamo on 6 Mar 1836. The major lines I am researching are BAKER, BELSHE, BISCHOFF, BISHOP, BROWN, COLEMAN, DAVIS, ETTER, KEECH, LEE, MITCHELL, MOORE, PATTERSON, RAY, ROWLAND, SCOTT, STAGNER, and TAYLOR.

Hi Lizzie

We need to investigate our TAYLOR line.  My gg grandfather was William Taylor, born in TN in 1852.  He was in Wise County TX in the 1880 census married to Lucy.  They had three boys, Leon, Ernest and My great grandfather George Orrien.  This is the only census I can find them together.  The boys were orphaned and where in AL by the 1900 census.  My grandfather was in the orphanage and was adopted by Will and Pheraby Sherrer. The older two boys were never adopted and used the TAYLOR name.  I think we may have a connection here, but with all the William Taylor's you can never be sure.   

Susan Sherrer Richmond

I am Vicki (Koller) Hartman and I have been doing genealogical research since about 1998ish. My main concentration is in the four Pennsylvania counties of Adams, Berks, Lehigh and Northampton Counties. There are bits and pieces in other counties and states but the main focus is here. I have started some DNA research as well on my husband's Hartman line. I Haplo Group. I pretty much live, eat and breathe genealogy, at least according to my husband! I'm working on my own website and I transcribe and host sites with GenealogyTrails as well. I love making connections in the genealogical world. I will also admit that I am a stickler for sourcing and proof of connections. This is my biggest fault...however I feel it's not a bad thing for a genealogy researcher. I also love cataloging cemeteries. I have started in the county of Adams in PA and am making a concentrated effort to do as many as I can while I am able. I figure in 30-40 years I will get to some major databasing when the stomping around cemeteries is more difficult due to my age. :-) I will do what I can when but I can always store the images for now.
Being a stickler for sourcing IS NOT a fault; I believe it is a must. (I would add "proofread, proofread, proofread"!) The proofreading is especially important when you are researching a family with varied name spellings. One of my lines is Kimmel, Kimmell. I have to be triply sure that I get the correct number of l's in each name, because the spelling will vary within a family group — one brother will be different or father and son will differ.
Being careful of facts is what makes our work useful to others, both now and in the future.
If there are no sources for assertions, why would anyone believe them? Any research must be documented to be worthwhile.
Hi All,

I'm Wilson, from Victoria, Australia, I have been doing family research for about 20 years,. My main focus at the moment is Maynard, i have traced them to Sevenoaks, Kent, England, where i sit at my brick wall. I just love researching and my only bug bear right now is lack of time to do as much as i would like. I love wandering around cemeteries and looking at headstones. My grgrgr grandfather is reported to have learnt to read off headstones, so maybe it is a genetic thing :-)
I love the Legacy program and look forward to chatting to others using the same family tree recording system.
Hey, I have BONHAM-CARTERS in Sevenoaks, Kent.
Hi everyone. My name is Carolyn. I come from Calgary, Alberta, Canada. My genealogy interests are in Canada, Scotland, England and Ireland (may branch out to the US soon). My current focus is trying to keep what information I do have organized :-)

Visit my profile for details. If you have questions, email me at cprestn5@telus.net.
Carolyn are you researching the Brogden line?

Victor
'Lo everyone, I'm Ryan Williams, I'm 15, been researching for about 3.5/4 years now, something along those lines, since age 11.

I'm originally from the Nanaimo Area of British Columbia, Canada, where my family has lived since 1851. I have a very, complicated ancestry. Very Canadian. In order of most ancestors of one type to least it would be, Scottish, British, Irish, Welsh, Native Indian, German (in the 1700's on two sides), French (way WAY up there, norman conquest times), Spanish (again, way way up there, norman conquest times)

I'm interesting in an extremely large list of continuously expanding surnames, so I'll list the ones that I can think of off of the top of my head,

Williams - Welsh/English
Smillie - Scottish
Briscoe - English
Neale - Irish
Murphy - Irish
Donald/McDonald/MacDonald - Scottish
Noble - Scottish
Gilson - Scottish
James - English
Smith - Scottish
Hinksman - Scottish, with German or English origins
Rhodes - English
Brigham - English
Mays - English

And I'm an Ancestry member for the next year, so if anyone wants a lookup, then just give me a shout, I'll be happy to help in any way, if I can. I can be reached by email at womg@live.ca or ryanmichaelwilliams@shaw.ca

Cheerio,
Ryan

Do you have an Ambrose Williams in Canada?  Althought my Ambrose Williams was in Virginia early on about 1750, I find a Mormon record in Candada who is related to an Ambrose Williams somehow so it is likely I have Williams collateral lines in Canada.

RSS

Members

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Nat Ins for Genealogical Studies.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service